Honda Grom banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I've got the Kitaco 60% clutch springs installed and my clutch cable seems to be taut with the adjustments closed at both perch and at the lift lever (cover)...meaning the perch adjustment is all way in and all of the threads of the cable on the left side of the lift lever cable holder. It's my understanding that I do not have any room to know that the clutch is fully engaged. Does that makes sense? If I adjust the perch outward, it is making the cable more taut, same for adjusting the lift lever cable side toward the right. I didn't notice anything in the way, causing the cable to bind. I've got less than 700 miles on the bike; does the clutch cable just need to wear in and I need to give it time to stretch out?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
610 Posts
Check your plunger on the clutch side cover you may have the plunger and arm off.

Good Luck
What Cisco said, the clutch lifter rod (plunger) on the right cover may not be seated properly. It needs to be pushed all the way in when you put the cover back on. The tolerances are tight and air may have pushed it back out while installing the cover.

Photogromers thumb is basically pointing at the plunger... Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at 3.12.42 PM.png

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check your plunger on the clutch side cover you may have the plunger and arm off.

Good Luck
What Cisco said, the clutch lifter rod (plunger) on the right cover may not be seated properly. It needs to be pushed all the way in when you put the cover back on. The tolerances are tight and air may have pushed it back out while installing the cover.

Photogromers thumb is basically pointing at the plunger... View attachment 77990
I appreciate the insight. Looking at other videos on YouTube, it looks like the lift lever is further back on mine. Do you guys think I can lay the bike on its side to avoid draining the oil when I crack it open? Will the gas leak out the tank?

Thanks!

·
Registered
610 Posts
oil will be fine for a short period of time and depends on how much fuel you have in the tank. lucky for you the internal overflow port is on the right side of the tank. No issues in trying it, as many other Groms have been laid over to work on the clutch.

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
I usually drain the oil out into a clean pan and re-use it when I'm done removing the clutch side cover or the flywheel side cover for work/repair related issues if I have less than 50-100 miles on the oil.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I laid the bike on its side and cracked open the clutch cover.

The plunger seemed to be fine. It would drag on lever release, however, I don't think that'll be an issue with the Kitaco 60% springs pushing back. Overall, I didn't notice a problem, but was surprised to see how little the plunger traveled. From what I remember, it doesn't stick out as much as in the Photogromer snapshot.

I buttoned everything back up and adjusted the lift lever adjustment a couple millimeters out, and the perch a little more than a full turn. I adjusted my lever to click 3 or 4 and it seems to be fine.

I guess I have the Grom's lifetime to adjust the perch/lift lever adjustments outward if the cable ever stretches out.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ultimately, my problem was the Koso Clutch Lifter Plate. After a few posts about others having issues with the Koso plate, I did further investigation and the Koso plate seems to be out of spec. I swapped it out for the stock plate and all is well! The clutch adjustments are back to spec (middle of the range) and the clutch bites hard. It's like a new bike!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts