Honda Grom banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
So i have a new 2017 Grom and have about 500 miles or so on it and i been having some clutch slipping. by far is this my first bike, so going though every thing, cable adjustment and already having some mods done, (heavier springs and lifter plate along with Kitaco cover) i feel its because of me learning to do wheelies IDK??? Anyway its slipping, so i ordered up a new pack STOCK, but got 1 extra plate 1 extra steel. After seeing the SMR 6 disk set up and doing alll the reading i can find in here of it i wanted to try stock stuff and see if it works. Low and behold i have spent all day on the and getting no where. doing the same set up as the SMR pack.

Heres my problem. I get 0 pressure from the lever pull. The center plate and the pressure plate once the spring lifter plate is tightened down it seems to get locked in place. Even after adjusting the clutch cable all the way out to take up the space, i pull the lever and i get nothing. What could be causing this??

Does anyone have the specs on the SMR plates and steels?? Or even a copy of the SMR directions cause there is nothing on the net but whats here...
Hondas are...
plates = 2.5mm
steeles = 1.5 mm

Has any of you tried to add 2 steels in the middle for added clutch pressure?? I wonder if the stock 6 disk set up is to thick??

Any help would be great before i put it back together stock again.

Phil

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
from what i know, the smr are plates are thinner than stock.

double check everything is aligned and fully seated. i had a similar problems and after repacking and checking everything was fully seated, all was good.

·
Registered
291 Posts
You didn’t mention it so I will just incase. The inner and the putter clutch basket have to be aligned properly. The if I remember right both baskets have the dot on the back of them.

Also I’d try the proper number of frictions and steels. See if you can get that to work. Then maybe try adding the extra and see if it works. Then you’ll know if that’s a problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, i been doing more reading and i think that your right, the SMR plates and steels are thinner. But i will follow up after todays riding that i and doing an old school mod that im gonna try. gives a similar feel. I using 2 steels for added pressure. So far im testing its working great but i will follow up and let you all know. Thanks for the replies tho!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I don't have any experience with SMR clutch, but I added some "heavier than stock" clutch springs in the past that turned out to be lighter than stock. Had major slippage until I put some real springs

·
Registered
8,407 Posts
SMR clutch kit works great, never had any issues and I have two groms both with SMR clutch kit and springs.

the clutch plate and friction disc should be bath in oil and I usually do it over night than install the plate the next day.

the clutch disc should line up in the basket and when installing the top center plate is should be flush with the top of the basket

the center nut should be torqued down to about 47 ft/lb and it is a good idea to replace the OEM stock springs with SMR heavy duty springs since their are better in my opinion.

The clutch spring three bolt should be torqued down to about 9 ft/lbs

make sure the clutch plunger unit that is on the clutch cover moves freely.

Use Dyno oil when breaking in the new clutch and later you can use full synthetic

Good luck

Here is a good video, thanks to the poster on youtube

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for all the info and here is what i did.

Using the stock plates and steels added 1 steel plate in the middle of the pack. Tighten everything up to specs and got her back up and running. Last night i was able to get out for a test ride and WOW what a difference. Absolutely no slippage and much better grip and pull. The pull through all the gears is awesome so far. Gotta let it break in a bit more and i will continue to update.

So whats been added you ask???
Stock set up is 4 steels and 5 friction goes like this... F/S/F/S/F/S/F/S/F
this is how my pack is now... F/S/F/S/S/F/S/F/S/F

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
yup. old old school clutch preload trick that works really well. the cb750-fs did that from the factory since the motor made quite a bit more hp than the stock k models (had 2 steels riveted together in the middle of the stack). good deal, glad you got it sorted

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Thanks guys for all the info and here is what i did.

Using the stock plates and steels added 1 steel plate in the middle of the pack. Tighten everything up to specs and got her back up and running. Last night i was able to get out for a test ride and WOW what a difference. Absolutely no slippage and much better grip and pull. The pull through all the gears is awesome so far. Gotta let it break in a bit more and i will continue to update.

So whats been added you ask???
Stock set up is 4 steels and 5 friction goes like this... F/S/F/S/F/S/F/S/F
this is how my pack is now... F/S/F/S/S/F/S/F/S/F
Bumpin this thread for homii Phillybuilt.... Did this mod a month after 60% smr springs, Improvement on clutch lever feel/pull and holding pressure.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Just a little footnote, the clutch inner hub has teeth facing inwards, just like a steel plate does. When you add the steel plate, use a screwdriver or pick to align the teeth on the steels to the teeth on the inner hub. If you start threading the center clutch nut on, and the inner hub no longer has any play, it isn't aligned correctly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts