Honda Grom banner

301 - 320 of 334 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
The bike runs lean from the factory for emission compliance and gas mileage. There seems to be a trend among bike manufacturers for ECU's to be more locked down, and also have less adaptability (even for altitude variations). Most of the guys with AFR meters show a definite need for more gas throughout the throttle range.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Has anybody actually tested weather a full pipe and intake makes the bike lean out loads? Why doesnt the ECU compensate?
I would not have written it if I would not have measured it.
Orignal ECU has no program for open inlet and outlet, it only can handle small changes.
It does not measure AFR with its simple o2sensor in open loop. In open loop it only runs via map and this map is not made for much more air and much and free airflow.
So the amount of fuel injected is much too few for the air going though and AFR is too lean, up to 15 and more at wot. Such lean conditions you do not want to see at wot.

·
Vendor
3,992 Posts
So this begs the question why are people dumping the open air filter and full exhaust systems on the grom?

What does that mean..? "..dumping "

·
Registered
683 Posts

What does that mean..? "..dumping "

I believe the question is "why are so many people putting on aftermarket/ modified intakes and exhausts without addressing the limitations of the stock ECU?"

My three guesses:
1. Ignorance
2. Don't want to spend the extra $
3. Their finely calibrated "butt dynos" feel a gain with no downside of running even more lean over stock

·
Vendor
3,992 Posts
I believe the question is "why are so many people putting on aftermarket/ modified intakes and exhausts without addressing the limitations of the stock ECU?"

My three guesses:
1. Ignorance
2. Don't want to spend the extra $
3. Their finely calibrated "butt dynos" feel a gain with no downside of running even more lean over stock

OR

Option 4) They enjoy the sound, the looks, the Weight Savings, and the performance gains of these Parts.

And then eventually will save enough to get the Fuel Controller......... if they want.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I opened up the intake and exhaust, with stock ECU the top speed was 71, but I lost torque and had a white plug. So, Installed the EJK, the low and midrange power came back, top speed is now 68 with a tan plug. Too lean will make it run faster, but will cause excessive heat.

·
Registered
684 Posts
OR
5) they have never seen a melted piston before caused by running too lean.

·
Vendor
3,992 Posts

has anyone actually reported melting a piston on their Grom just from installing a Intake and exhaust ?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Ok.....have a question while on the subject. I put a TYGA full system on for exhaust but left the air box and filter completely stock....(no mod of any kind). Will this cause it to run too lean with just the pipe?
I know it's not typical to approaching it this way but I wanted the better sound but didnt mind the factory power for the way I ride. If I wanted to go fast I would have kept my rockets.
Factory will learn a mild curve but wondered if this was even enough extra air flow to require a new AF system?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Either I verified my definite ignorance on the subject at hand and I've been looked over because I'm not worthy or no one has an answer to my question?
I'm reading more and more posts where guys are freezing up motors that are way too new for it not to be self inflicted damage from mods done without realizing the limits.
I admit I'm not a mechanic and do not want to melt this damn thing together, so any input on this would be appreciated.....Is exhaust alone enough to create problems?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Its kinda like adding a cold air intake on a car. Never heard of anyone melting a piston that way. The Grom will add a little more fuel. Even on stock turbo cars when you add a cold air intake it makes a lot more power without damaging the engine.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Either I verified my definite ignorance on the subject at hand and I've been looked over because I'm not worthy or no one has an answer to my question?
I'm reading more and more posts where guys are freezing up motors that are way too new for it not to be self inflicted damage from mods done without realizing the limits.
I admit I'm not a mechanic and do not want to melt this damn thing together, so any input on this would be appreciated.....Is exhaust alone enough to create problems?
Thanks in advance!
PS run a colder plug I Did

·
Registered
136 Posts
installing mine tonight.........

·
Registered
30 Posts
So, I installed my chimera intake. Put about 100 miles on it. Now every time I start it there's a small backfire out of the intake. Curious if anyone else had that issue... otherwise it's great! The intake makes it way louder, and faster. Hit 71 on the freeway.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
So, I installed my chimera intake. Put about 100 miles on it. Now every time I start it there's a small backfire out of the intake. Curious if anyone else had that issue... otherwise it's great! The intake makes it way louder, and faster. Hit 71 on the freeway.
this bike legal for freeway where your at?

301 - 320 of 334 Posts