Honda Grom banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i finally got a chimera intake and was interested in using the rpm bracket as opposed to the rod. while the rod works, it does not prevent both fairings from combined lateral movement. in theory, the rpm bracket would prevent this, however there was no confirmed if it would work with the chimera.

unfortunately, there is conflict

however, this can be resolved if the intake is not mounted flush to the tb. while this is definitely not the best solution, the intake assembly is still air tight and firmly held in place thanks to the silicone intake coupler.

i'll contact rpm if they would be open to modifying their bracket to accommodate the chimera

·
Registered
235 Posts
Thanks for the info. While we can surely bend the brackets in a different configuration to work with the Chimera, I feel that the RPM intake setup is cheaper, cleaner appearing and seems to pull harder and increases the top speed over the chimera setup. So for those reasons I advise people looking for a cold air kit to purchase one that addresses everything from the beginning.

If there enough people looking to improve on their fairing mounts with the chimera we can do a group purchase on some special brackets.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the update... What if you flipped it around? Does that work?
doesn't work

Thanks for the info. While we can surely bend the brackets in a different configuration to work with the Chimera, I feel that the RPM intake setup is cheaper, cleaner appearing and seems to pull harder and increases the top speed over the chimera setup. So for those reasons I advise people looking for a cold air kit to purchase one that addresses everything from the beginning.

If there enough people looking to improve on their fairing mounts with the chimera we can do a group purchase on some special brackets.
i trust your word on your intake. mostly preference based, but the main reasons i went with the chimera was the ability to keep the tb in place as i prefer not to rotate and to have the sensor within the intake.

to all who own the chimera or plan to get one, in my opinion, the rpm bracket is the best solution to secure the fairings. hopefully there will be enough interest so rpm will consider a custom run of brackets for the chimera!

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
where does the RPM fairing bracket mount? I have a chimera and would be interested in the bracket as well.

My other issues thought is i have also done a Wolo horn relocation in the cavity where the stock airbox was. I'm using one of the airbox's mounting points from my bracket. I don't have my grom at work today and i will take a pic tonight.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
where does the RPM fairing bracket mount? I have a chimera and would be interested in the bracket as well.

My other issues thought is i have also done a Wolo horn relocation in the cavity where the stock airbox was. I'm using one of the airbox's mounting points from my bracket. I don't have my grom at work today and i will take a pic tonight.
they use the oem airbox mounting points.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the filter arrived today. i figured i'll share some pics of the filter installed in relation of the current bracket design. as mentioned, the intake is currently mounted on a slight angle.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the exterior liner is mainly for large dust particles. as i oiled it as well, it does repel water to an extent but i doubt it will repel a large splash or constant exposure to rain. i don't ride the grom in the rain so exposure to water is minimal.

·
Registered
108 Posts
well in belgium it can be sunny when you leave and rain is jsut around the corner, water resistant is needed over here...

werent there little bags to put over the filters?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
we're spoiled in southern california...can count the number of times in rains in a year. if you need water resistance, it may be best to keep the stock housing and mod the filter.

the k&n filter has the bag option. you could try it on the uni, but not sure if it would fit.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks for posting this...I just recently got a Chimera intake from Hard Racing and found that the supplied fairing bracket was inadequate to keep the fairings from vibrating and moving. I contacted RPM and bought myself a pair of brackets which I find work much better than the one that was supplied with the Chimera kit. I made my first video below...the sound kinda sucks at the end because my DR-40 mic was set to sensitive.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts