Honda Grom banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally got around to switching on the Michelin Boppers. I Used 120/17-12 Front and Rear. I threw in some Dyna beads just for kicks.

I'm basically posting this as an affirmation of what everyone else has said when they switched the tires out. All of the superlatives attributed by everyone else to whatever kind of tire they chose apply here.

The Sketchy feeling that I felt in the front is now gone and my confidence in the front end is significantly higher.

One Note:

Part of my plan with going to the smaller rear was to reduce the circumference of the rear tire effectively changing gearing. Well, The difference was 1480mm vs the stock 1582mm giving me about a 4.6% change (or about 1.4mph at 35mph indicated)
It really produced no noticeable difference in terms of acceleration. Mathematically it is a step in the right direction toward what I'm trying to accomplish (Making fourth gear useable) but I think I'll need to actually change the gearing to get there.

·
Registered
34 Posts
How hard it is to change the tires on the GROM? I have done it for a CRF50 & CRF110...... is there an inner tube in the middle?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Grom tires are a pain in the ass without a tire machine. I did the rear with irons and it sucked. I used my friends machine for the front and it was still hard but went smoothly. Neither needed weights still smooth at top speed.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I like long walks on the beach.....hahahahaha

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Hi Guys.....

Been messin' with the new Toyota, so I haven't been here much.

This weekend I had a chance to flog the Grom a bit and get the Boppers really warm after the class was over and no students were around to be influenced by my foolish behavior.

Picture of tire:
Tire Automotive tire Auto part Wheel Rim

Once the tires warmed up I was able to get some speed up and hammer into some turns a a pretty good clip. I had no problem trail braking and accelerating with much enthusiasm and the tires were stuck, nary a wiggle. They did however leave marks on my range (These aren't rubber marks, it's where the hot tire tears the oxidation off the lot sealer; it's common on all my ranges in the area where I test the student's braking) :

Coming .......
Asphalt Road surface Sky Road Tar

Going........
Asphalt Sky Road surface Road Tar

·
Registered
308 Posts
:)

gonna find a friend with a machine.. hahaha

·
Registered
59 Posts
A question about leaning around corners and tyres if I could hijack your thread for a bit? I still have the stock tyres on and on several corners near where i live, that are decent smooth corners, I have been seeing how far I can push it. Leaning left I can seem to go alot further than leaning right. Some of the corners are very similar just opposite turns at similar speeds, just turning left feels a lot more comfortable than turning right

. Would this be tyre related or speed/skill(not that I'm gonna go flat out into them ;) )? I have some michelin power pure sc's getting fitted next week and would like to get the most of them.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A question about leaning around corners and tyres if I could hijack your thread for a bit? I still have the stock tyres on and on several corners near where i live, that are decent smooth corners, I have been seeing how far I can push it. Leaning left I can seem to go alot further than leaning right. Some of the corners are very similar just opposite turns at similar speeds, just turning left feels a lot more comfortable than turning right

. Would this be tyre related or speed/skill(not that I'm gonna go flat out into them ;) )? I have some michelin power pure sc's getting fitted next week and would like to get the most of them.
It's Skill related. Right turns are less comfortable for most initially. It has to do with several things, like the fact that it's a bit more complicate to steer and operate the throttle in right turns. Being from the UK I'm surprised you're experiencing this, it's typically an American thing because we usually travel fastest in left turns making the right turns at speed a little less familiar.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yeah I did think it was a it odd cos I can't stand roundabouts, more practising is gonna be needed ;) Cheers for the tip

·
Registered
964 Posts
If you have issues accelerating while leaning in right hand turns, the bars could be the problem.
but if your fairly novice to bikes then it's prob skill related I agree

·
Registered
177 Posts
Dunno, Probably not....I had them laying around, decided to try them, they are WAY more comfortable than the stock tires at steep lean angles
They'll certainly last much longer than the Pures. After flogging my Grom for the last week I think the Pures might be overkill for this thing. I can't keep enough speed into corners to outride the stock rubber, let alone trackday rubber.

That being said, the Pures are what I'm going to put on when I change the tires in the spring. My Grom will be seeing a race track. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts