Honda Grom banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wt 200-213 lbs and dieting down to 195 lbs and since I replaced my rear bushings with the Mnnthbx bushing I feel more of a pogo effect with my original 2014 shock, so what is a good reasonable shock to get to reduce the pogo effect, I was looking at YSS since I think Ohlin is over priced. Been looking at Kitaco rear shock

Looks like ebay has some for good price
https://www.ebay.com/itm/240mm-Red-Rear-Air-Shock-Absorbers-Suspension-Universal-for-Honda-Grom-125-2014/223415900271?hash=item3404a0186f:g:Hu8AAOSwvZNc8OoO

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-9-5-240mm-Motorcycle-Shock-Absorber-Air-Suspension-Quad-Dirt-Bike-Universal/392002708902?fits=Model:Grom+125|Make:Honda&hash=item5b452ea5a6:g:TZcAAOSwNaBc9jAM

·
Registered
92 Posts
I had good luck with my YSS. See my long term write-up in a post from a few days ago.

·
Read Only
106 Posts
Cisco, the ones you linked have "air" in the title. I have something similar to that here, but it was only 20 bucks. It isn't a proper oil filled shock - just a rubber disc mounted on the shaft. In fact it looks remarkably like a bicycle pump.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cisco, the ones you linked have "air" in the title. I have something similar to that here, but it was only 20 bucks. It isn't a proper oil filled shock - just a rubber disc mounted on the shaft. In fact it looks remarkably like a bicycle pump.
Have you used it on a grom? I wt 210 lbs and was willing to try this shock due to the price and adjustment via adding nitrogen. I assume the seller got these from China via Alibaba

·
Registered
720 Posts
I wt 200-213 lbs and dieting down to 195 lbs and since I replaced my rear bushings with the Mnnthbx bushing I feel more of a pogo effect with my original 2014 shock, so what is a good reasonable shock to get to reduce the pogo effect, I was looking at YSS since I think Ohlin is over priced. Been looking at Kitaco rear shock

Looks like ebay has some for good price
https://www.ebay.com/itm/240mm-Red-Rear-Air-Shock-Absorbers-Suspension-Universal-for-Honda-Grom-125-2014/223415900271?hash=item3404a0186f:g:Hu8AAOSwvZNc8OoO

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-9-5-240mm-Motorcycle-Shock-Absorber-Air-Suspension-Quad-Dirt-Bike-Universal/392002708902?fits=Model:Grom+125|Make:Honda&hash=item5b452ea5a6:g:TZcAAOSwNaBc9jAM
For the price I'd buy a Kitaco shock, pretty happy with mine. Or a CNC Takegawa one, those are height adjustable which is a nice feature.
Or a RB shock but that's already a lot more expensive.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For the price I'd buy a Kitaco shock, pretty happy with mine. Or a CNC Takegawa one, those are height adjustable which is a nice feature.
Or a RB shock but that's already a lot more expensive.
I was looking at the Kitaco shock but decided to try these out, if it doesn't work for my riding style I will either get the Kitaco or YSS shocks. Thanks for the feed back

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I was looking up Power Tank N2 Race Shock Inflator Kit and other kits to refill the shock with nitrogen and the kit price is the same as buying the Ohlins shocks so if the air shocks work pretty good I will get the kit since it can be used to adjust the shocks on 4x4 trucks with gas shocks. Never know that I might need it if I upgrade my 2008 Toyota 4x4 tundra truck's shocks with gas shocks.

·
Read Only
106 Posts
Have you used it on a grom? I wt 210 lbs and was willing to try this shock due to the price and adjustment via adding nitrogen. I assume the seller got these from China via Alibaba
Yes. It was rubbish. The 'valve' wore very quickly - though I was doing a lot of forest riding - and it became little more than a pogo stick.

And if you're thinking you might use it as a base to make a decent shock, forget it. It would be more time and effort than it is worth just to get the thing to seal, even for oil. Nitrogen is never going to stay inside it.

·
Banned
714 Posts
just bite the bullet and buy the ohlins. it's expensive because it's worth it.

you don't seem to struggle spending money on the grom(s), so why not just get it over and done with

the ohlins / bushing combo makes for a very compliant rear suspension.

·
Registered
277 Posts
just bite the bullet and buy the ohlins. it's expensive because it's worth it.

you don't seem to struggle spending money on the grom(s), so why not just get it over and done with

the ohlins / bushing combo makes for a very compliant rear suspension.
Ya but he also loves experimenting so this is right up his alley.

I'm also a bit interested to see how those cheap ones work out.

Btw Cisco I have a YSS and am around your weight. I have no complaints. It keeps things planted and comfortable.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I'd find it much more interesting if you would compare shocks instead of buying twice the same, say they are great until they break and are not so great anymore.
Would be nice to see how a ''high end'' cheap chinese shock compares to a basic Kitaco shock.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Ya but he also loves experimenting so this is right up his alley.

I'm also a bit interested to see how those cheap ones work out.

Btw Cisco I have a YSS and am around your weight. I have no complaints. It keeps things planted and comfortable.
The shocks come with compressed air, reading up on other MC forum these shocks are sold that way and the compressed air deteriorates the rubber and the O-ring seals due to the moisture in the compressed air and the trick is to bleed out the compressed air and replace it with nitrogen. So that is what I'm going to do and dump the shock in a bucket of soapy water to see if there is any leaks, in fact I'm going to check the pressure of the shock when I get it so I know how much nitrogen pressure I should replace in the shock, I will also put the new shock in a bucket of soapy water to check for leaks than remove the compressed air and fill it up with the right amount of nitrogen. I will also find out what is the right compound to put on the rubber seals to keep the rubber pliable and not deteriorate at a fast rate from the bouncing around. If the shocks fail on to the YSS shocks which is also a gas filled shock and I assume filled with nitrogen.

Yep DIY it, same as when I move on and start my next project for building me a e-foil board

check out the new craze in e-foil

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
the yss is proven and dirt cheap, the best of the cheap shocks. I can't imagine running one of those 60 dollar garbage shocks.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Save up and buy the Ohlins. If you're ever strapped for cash, slap the stocker back on and eat the $50 loss for a one-day sale of the Ohlins.

If you were doing any track work, I'd probably go for the RB given reviews.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts