Honda Grom banner

Chain that doesn't stretch

6K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  pitasmit 
#1 ·
Tired of constantly having my chain expand, especially now that I've gone 143cc.

Any recommendations on a chain that doesn't stretch? I'm on stock gearing and would prefer to keep it that way. I also like the same style of chain link that's on the Grom as it is easy to install.

#2 ·
That's strange I have the 143cc and haven't noticed anything different with the chain. All chains stretch but it shouldn't be all the time that you are having to adjust the chain. Maybe get a good RK chain. Also I bought some aftermarket chain adjusters from Steady garage that are a lot better than the stock ones. Maybe that's what's happening to you, it's just moving not stretching possibly.

#4 ·
The best chain out there....

Yellow Tool accessory

#10 ·
That's why. O-ring chains need adjusted less often compared to non o-ring. Every 300 to 400 miles on a non o-ring is about right from what I recall.

#11 ·
They exist. OTB V2 Adjusters.
Completely eliminate the headache of the stock ones...I actually enjoy adjusting my chain now!

Reactions: LordSquirrel
#8 ·
Reactions: tooter and 50-50
#14 ·
The highest listed tensile strength I could find is the RK GB420MXZ4. If you make near stock power and don't clutch up wheelies all the time a good sealed chain might be better. If you're stretching the limits of what a 420 chain can handle you want maximum tensile strength.

#15 ·
Noob, that is a good find. Bitchen find even.

When I made my recommendation of the Pro Taper chain, I based my findings on the 520 chain I use on my MX machines. So I threw a Pro Taper chain on the Grom without a through check on what is out there. I just automatically thought that the 420 offering would be "zoot capri" like the 520. I see both Pro Taper & RK MXZ4 series both have 8K TS for the 520. My next chain in the 420 pitch will be the MXZ4.

Although, on the RK website, it clearly states that this chain is not for street use. I will use it anyway on my relatively "slow" Grom.

#17 ·
New U-ring Black Scale chain arrived [emoji41]

I'll plan to install on the weekend.

Reactions: m2Boost and BUCKNUT
#19 ·
I considered the GV420MRU, but decided to go with BL420MRU as I rarely see them anywhere... wanted something a little different :cool2:

Reactions: gsxrnut808
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.