Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a used 2015 Grom a couple weeks ago here in Ottawa, Canada. Bought it for the wife who hasn't ridden since she got her license 8 years ago, except a couple times in the fall of 2016, just before we sold our Buell Blast. The Buell was supposed to be a keeper, but it was clunky at best. It was replaced by a 2016 KTM Duke 390, which had since been modded and put down 48hp on the dyno

Bought the Grom from the second owner, a teenager who had it for two seasons. It was sold to first owner new in 2017, then sold to the guy I bought it from later that year. He was paying C$300/month for insurance! Bike was advertised at C$2200 and I picked it up for C$1800 with 3073kms. Right tank cover is cracked, left cover has a broken clip, front fender has some scratches. Otherwise was in excellent shape.

Pics from listing by previous owner:

Got it safetied (required before you can register in Ontario) then ordered new ContiScoot tires, RideItMoto levers, Renthal Kevlar 32mm grips and Road Low handlebar.

(I have an SF rectifier, TST frame sliders, and Core Moto brake lines on order but won't be able to install those until later in August after back from holidays.)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Nice start. pic of that 390?? i spy the back wheel already, thinking about a 3rd bike and the 390 is at the top followed by the CRF450L.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Nice find. Is it really for the wife or is it for you? LOL

I'd also like to see the 48HP 390. How was the reliability on that bike before you modded it?
Wife asked the same... It's definitely for her but I'm setting it up as I would for myself

(I wouldn't have her ride something I wouldn't ride personally)

The Duke had been reliable, has just over 8k kms now. It got modded basically day 1. PCV very early, which I think has helped ensure reliability and keeping it from running lean etc. A recent pic and from last track day back in 2017.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
Wife asked the same... It's definitely for her but I'm setting it up as I would for myself

(I wouldn't have her ride something I wouldn't ride personally)

The Duke had been reliable, has just over 8k kms now. It got modded basically day 1. PCV very early, which I think has helped ensure reliability and keeping it from running lean etc. A recent pic and from last track day back in 2017.

I always thought the 2017-19 duke 390 was the best bang for the buck for a small motorcycle esp for riding around town or the back roads. I wonder if they make BST carbon fiber wheels for that bike.

What exhaust system did you use and what sprocket setup for track day F/R, thanks

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like the 15-16 as lighter, shorter and more tunable... Different ECU.

BST does make wheels as does Marchesini (sp?)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What exhaust system did you use and what sprocket setup for track day F/R, thanks
I'm running the original Competition Werkes GP pipe with the Tyga header.

Honestly, it's too short for optimum power but it's very light compared to stock...

I run 16T front, up from factory 15, with stock 45T rear.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
While my son was napping, got the SF rectifier, MNNTHBX Mtake, CJR flashed ECU and TST sliders installed.

Quick run up the street confirms the tune makes a huge difference. Once I get the cam installed, will pull even harder up top I understand... Keep in mind this is 8 -> 12hp, so not huge power but still a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Wife went mountain biking this weekend at Kingdom Trails so home alone with both kids for 4 days… Had a few updates planned - cam swap, tail tidy, rearsets and gp shift conversion.

Cam swap was more technical than I’ve attempted on any vehicle in the past - usually just bolt-ons, brake work etc. Went with the TB cam and CJR flashed ECU, mapped for it, plus the intake and exhaust. I put it in the freezer while I opened up the head. The cam came with new longer tappet screws for the high lift camshaft. Had to get a new feeler gauge, one I had bought with the angled tips from Home Depot only went down to .005, needed .003 for intake side.

One piece of pure bling - picked up a used cam shaft cover. I’ve seen similar on the Ducati’s and thought for US$40, would be a nice aesthetic mod - normally always function over form but this is pretty neat, especially for my young son to see.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Tail tidy - $30 Aliexpress special. Didn’t come with plate lamp as described, nor did plate bolt up without new holes, but otherwise good. Used fender washers instead of the standard ones it came with.

One hiccup, dropped one of the original bolts into a frame tube. Needed to rig a chain of magnets to get it out.

IMG_20190901_205146.jpg

IMG_20190901_205231.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-09-02 at 2.10.48 PM.png

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
GP shift conversion

Rearsets install was a failure due to lack of clearance with low mount exhaust so had to revert to a mod I’ve seen a couple guys do on YouTube.

I replaced linkage with leftover heim joint rod ends I had on hand. To convert to GP shift using stock linkage, the arm has to be rotated basically CCW 90° and then it is supposed to work. I added Aliexpress shifter brace while at it. Wasn’t very happy with the actuation while playing with it in reverse shift mode late last night but just took it up the street and it does work. Quite decently but I think I still want to do a proper linkage setup with the arm flipped rather than this…

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Vids

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
GP shift conversion

Rearsets install was a failure due to lack of clearance with low mount exhaust so had to revert to a mod I’ve seen a couple guys do on YouTube.

I replaced linkage with leftover heim joint rod ends I had on hand. To convert to GP shift using stock linkage, the arm has to be rotated basically CCW 90° and then it is supposed to work. I added Aliexpress shifter brace while at it. Wasn’t very happy with the actuation while playing with it in reverse shift mode late last night but just took it up the street and it does work. Quite decently but I think I still want to do a proper linkage setup with the arm flipped rather than this…
this is no bueno - will be reverting to stock but keeping my new link piece...

it does work but requires too much throw and is a bit vague. If in neutral and go to confirm in first, shifter goes way high etc. Will go back to stock and try again with properly 180° flipped shifter arm.

IMG_20190902_150434.jpg IMG_20190902_150428.jpg IMG_20190902_150411.jpg

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Swapped back to stock setup but using the new hole in the arm so 'short shift kit'. Will keep this way for now.
​​​​​​​

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Installed a Koso temperature gauge tonight.

Straightforward and simple to install. Wasn't sure how to hook up the power, but watched Hard Racing's video of the opmid variant and discovered those come with a piggy back adapter... Took a few extra minutes to make my own.

Had I realized, that might have swayed my decision to go with the other brand but the clincher was the display and illumination on the Koso. Everyone says it's easy to read in the sun.

Not sure if going to run it in Celsius or Fahrenheit yet. Weather here referenced in °C but oil and engine temps always seem to be °F.

Haven't fired it up yet, that has to wait for the morning commute

·
Registered
989 Posts
:eek:ccasion14: Well done!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
New helmet lock.

I couldn't be bothered to re&re the seat when I park to attach a helmet on the factory hook...

C$15.55 to the door

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
New exhaust day. Turns out was timely as the mount on the Aodonly loop header had broken off... Likely because the muffler to rearset mount bolt fell off recently so there would have been extra strain on the header mount.

Anyhow, AliExpress special, C$128 delivered which is about US$100.

Will packaged, welds look decent, genuine carbon fiber can.

Muffler is universal and too large a bore for the bike however and I'll need to run the included baffle I think. I'm worried about heat on the turn signal but maybe it will be ok. I'll test it out tomorrow morning.

I may reuse the previous muffler which has a deeper tone, but it's even closer to the signal.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Your old exhaust would likely have lasted if it had a slip fit joint in the loop to allow movement for engine vibration. I run two different exhausts and the short one with no joint transmits far more vibration to the frame than the long one with the joint.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
New header is also one piece. I'm wondering if it will also suffer a similar fate?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts