Honda Grom banner

21 - 40 of 267 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
I gave Finbro the idea about mounting the CT 70 wheel/sprocket on the oem arm. I have had that setup since January on my Takegawa 4V with 0 failures in 2,000 miles.

·
Registered
8,366 Posts
I gave Finbro the idea about mounting the CT 70 wheel/sprocket on the oem arm. I have had that setup since January on my Takegawa 4V with 0 failures in 2,000 miles.
talked to Franco and he sent me the pic of the new cam arm unit but I'm not sure what the wheel and rubber unit is made off.

·
Registered
537 Posts
It's similar material as the oem, but it has teeth and has a larger diameter. It's a wheel from a Honda CT 70 tensioner. You have to remove the oem wheel from the oem arm then have the CT 70 wheel mounted onto the oem assembly. The oem grom piece that the wheel rides on has to be welded. The other option is to buy the Finbro setup.

·
Vendor
4,003 Posts
It's a xr/crf50/ct70 (and I'm sure it fits a few others) idler wheel. Toothed rubber.

Correct.

It's just a CT70 wheel on a stock arm.

·
Registered
8,366 Posts

Correct.

It's just a CT70 wheel on a stock arm.

So how is it held onto the stock arm, just wondering and if so what year CT70 do I order this part, and I assume that what GSX said that you have to weld it to the stock arm. I'm a little confused on how to attach the CT70 to the arm

·
Vendor
4,003 Posts
So how is it held onto the stock arm, just wondering and if so what year CT70 do I order this part, and I assume that what GSX said that you have to weld it to the stock arm. I'm a little confused on how to attach the CT70 to the arm

You'd have to ask GSX on that one.

It's his idea.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
well I have a rubber CT70 one coming as well, also new so we soon shall see. they used these idlers on a LOT of Honda bikes.

24+ years ago my first foray into motorcycles was SOHC Hondas of all sort for many years, this has historically always been an issue.

·
Vendor
4,003 Posts
well I have a rubber CT70 one coming as well, also new so we soon shall see. they used these idlers on a LOT of Honda bikes.

24+ years ago my first foray into motorcycles was SOHC Hondas of all sort for many years, this has historically always been an issue.

20 + years of racing CBR600F2, F3, F4, F4i ........ and never had an issue.

Of course the Hydraulic Adjuster would fail, so we all switched over to a mechanic version.

But, the slider/tensioner never failed.

·
Vendor
4,003 Posts

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
have to disagree there, the later systems were much better than the cb175/200/350/360/550/750's etc ones. they were also air cooled and subject to different internal heat cycles (quicker swngs of temps) as opposed to the liquid cooled dohc 4s.. our groms suffer an OLD problem. Plagues the guys who race in the vintage 350 class, hence why the metal idler gears s are being made at all.. Just saying.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Cisco, the part fits many year CTs. I ordered mine through a Honda Dealer. 1977 CT 70 Roller - Cam Chain Tensioner - Part # 14502-086-000. You use the Grom cam chain tensioner assemply. You have to press out the piece that the roller rides on. You remove the Grom roller, inert the CT roller and press the piece back in (with the CT roller). You then tack weld the piece that you just pressed back in so that it does not fall off.

·
Registered
8,366 Posts
Cisco, the part fits many year CTs. I ordered mine through a Honda Dealer. 1977 CT 70 Roller - Cam Chain Tensioner - Part # 14502-086-000. You use the Grom cam chain tensioner assemply. You have to press out the piece that the roller rides on. You remove the Grom roller, inert the CT roller and press the piece back in (with the CT roller). You then tack weld the piece that you just pressed back in so that it does not fall off.

thanks a million
Aloha

·
Registered
537 Posts
If Honda would have used the tensioner system that they use on the Honda Innova 125, we would not be having this conversation. See below.

·
Registered
537 Posts
since when were cbrs SOHC? ;) different animal here.
You are correct. Those SOHC motors had the same system and the same issue. There's a guy on Ebay that sells the metal upgraded wheel/sprocket. I spoke with hi a while back about making a similar setup for the Grom, but I guess he wasn't interested, so I had to improvise. Below is what the guy on ebay sells. Too bad the cam chain is a different pitch.

·
Vendor
4,003 Posts
If Honda would have used the tensioner system that they use on the Honda Innova 125, we would not be having this conversation. See below.

Agreed.
This is pretty much the same exact system the CBR600 F2, F3, F4, F4i used.

Yes....... even though they were DOHC............ still same system.

Worked great.

21 - 40 of 267 Posts