Honda Grom banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Vendor
123 Posts
Drow - will do. At the moment I was waning racing bros front end and rearshock. I may go with ohlins given your recommendation. I’ve got track experience and a couple races on 600s but this will be the first time on a small bike. Definitely going the pmt route. I ran pirelli slicks on my r6 and zx6r. I’d like to order all my parts through the same people just to simplify the process and since y’all are in California and race here, I will probably go through y’all.
We can also build the shocks for you as well. Many of our customers ship out their forks to us to get the work and ship them back. Pmt are special order so i would suggest to give us a call to check availabilty on compound and tire sizes. I just tried the new 130/75-12 that they made specifically for the grom and wow. i still have chicken strips on my tires form the same lean angle as the previous 120/80-12. Now i can go faster into the turns without the rear slipping much.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Unfortunately I don’t have the space to work on my bike. I’m in an apartment at the moment. I was going to take all my parts and have them all installed at the same time. Catalyst Suspenion is where I was looking but if anyone else has any suggestions for good shops a bit more local to the Monterey area, I’m open to suggestions. It’s not ideal, as I’d love to be able to do my own work but being in class and living in an apartment, I don’t have time or space. Plans are to pick up the bike this Sunday and probably order all the parts next week. Will hopefully be ready and able to go for the race June 15 at Willow with m1gp.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Are "clip on" style bars not very popular for groms? There aren't a ton of options and it seems most people racing here use renthal or pro taper bars. Are the clipon bars not really worth it?

·
Vendor
123 Posts
Unfortunately I don’t have the space to work on my bike. I’m in an apartment at the moment. I was going to take all my parts and have them all installed at the same time. Catalyst Suspenion is where I was looking but if anyone else has any suggestions for good shops a bit more local to the Monterey area, I’m open to suggestions. It’s not ideal, as I’d love to be able to do my own work but being in class and living in an apartment, I don’t have time or space. Plans are to pick up the bike this Sunday and probably order all the parts next week. Will hopefully be ready and able to go for the race June 15 at Willow with m1gp.
Unfortunaetly we dont know of someone up north that would be able to do it. and as far as clip on's for the grom. Its hard to run them without it hitting the fairings. composimo and mojo race bars is the closest you can get to a clip on style without hitting the fairings. I personally run the tyga clips ons but im also running the full fairing kit that is made to run with those bars.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
If you weren't going to use clip on style bars, which bars would you recommend, if any? Recommended sprockets? Obviously that sort of thing depends on the track but is there a go-to or a couple go-to ratios? Also, Ive been reading about the DOT approved race tires and am now leaning that direction for simplicity. What would the highest grip DOT tire be? I suppose that is going to be a bit subjective but from what I can gather, the dunlops are as good as it gets?

·
Vendor
123 Posts
If you weren't going to use clip on style bars, which bars would you recommend, if any? Recommended sprockets? Obviously that sort of thing depends on the track but is there a go-to or a couple go-to ratios? Also, Ive been reading about the DOT approved race tires and am now leaning that direction for simplicity. What would the highest grip DOT tire be? I suppose that is going to be a bit subjective but from what I can gather, the dunlops are as good as it gets?

the other bike that we race, we have used the
https://www.drowsports.com/driven-racing-aluminum-meteor-low-handle-bar-1-1-8-black/

and for sprockets sets ups this is what we have tried
13x36
14x38
14x39 (usually the go to)

all of these are set up to roughly redline at 60mph top speed. (go kart tracks) If you are racing in a bigger track and able to get a higher top speed then you can try 14x36. If you are after DOT then the dunlop tires might be your best choice. The DOT PMT tires (non slicks) are supposed to work pretty good too but we personally havent done any testing on them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
What do you use for bar ends on the 1 1/8" bars? I haven't found any on yalls sight; unless you don't need them for those bars lol

Edit; just saw that the bar tapers. Good deal. Ok, I think Ill grab a 13t & 14t front sprocket and a 36 rear. I will pick up additional down the line.

Sounds like Dunlops it is.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Out of curiosity, do you all ship through Fedex Drow? I am ordering a lot of crap and would like it securely shipped. I think I can ship it directly to a fedex location? I just don't want it sitting outside my door while I am gone.

·
Vendor
123 Posts
What do you use for bar ends on the 1 1/8" bars? I haven't found any on yalls sight; unless you don't need them for those bars lol

Edit; just saw that the bar tapers. Good deal. Ok, I think Ill grab a 13t & 14t front sprocket and a 36 rear. I will pick up additional down the line.

Sounds like Dunlops it is.
we have a couple bar ends that you can use. I personally prefer the lower driven bars since the pro tapers sit higher

·
Registered
319 Posts
I've built quite a few race Groms and can agree with pretty much all of what Drow has said. We used to race AMA SE Supermoto and now race with SFLMiniGP. We also finished 3rd overall at the 24hr with UMRA last year in 2018.

Don't cheap out on the rearsets. Pick a known brand because you'll need to order replacement parts.

I've run almost every tire out there. If you don't mind changing a set per race, the Mitas MC35 is a great option using a soft front and medium rear. Dunlops are the most reliable and durable and we made it through the 24hr on only two sets. I currently run a Dunlop front and PMT 130/75 rear. The 100/90 PMT front isn't really designed for a 2.75" front wheel, so if your riding style leans the bike over a lot, you'll end up riding on the sidewall of it.

I'd stick with Ohlins or Racing Bros for suspension. I do run a JRI rear but I'm sold on it being better than the current Ohlins offering.

For brakes, add a steel braided line to the front, a Braking rotor, and some good pads. I like the Vesrah RJL for the stock caliper. Leave the rear stock.

Pick up an intake, Dinger Built SR, MNNTHBX and Chimera are good options.

Bars are totally preference. I've seen some really fast guys with clip-ons and some that use normal MX style bars.

Gearing is everything.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
Active; I appreciate the response and suggestions and it sounds like I am headed in the right direction. I'll take a look at some rearsets then. Maybe I can find someone sellin used ones. This is the updated to-buy list:

Driven Racing Fatbar
Grips
Sato or Driven Rearsets
Ohlins Front Forks
Ohlins Rear shock
Dunlop TT93s
Number plate
EBC Front rotor
Galfer Stainless lines Front
Galfer HH Sintered Pads
Renthal Chain
Sprockets, Front 13t/14t
Sprockets, Rear 36t
Swingarm bushing kit
Tail tidy

Intake and other stuff will come down the line.

I know on bigger bikes, lots of guys ran lever guards. Are they really necessary here?

·
Registered
176 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Add lever guards to my list!

·
Registered
474 Posts
op if you do the mnthbx bushing kit, can I borrow the tools from you for a fee?

this forum is so weird, normally forums should be here to help pay things forward - especially like 1 time use tools, like I would expect these tools to be able to float in the forum users for a small "usage fee"

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've built quite a few race Groms and can agree with pretty much all of what Drow has said. We used to race AMA SE Supermoto and now race with SFLMiniGP. We also finished 3rd overall at the 24hr with UMRA last year in 2018.

Don't cheap out on the rearsets. Pick a known brand because you'll need to order replacement parts.

I've run almost every tire out there. If you don't mind changing a set per race, the Mitas MC35 is a great option using a soft front and medium rear. Dunlops are the most reliable and durable and we made it through the 24hr on only two sets. I currently run a Dunlop front and PMT 130/75 rear. The 100/90 PMT front isn't really designed for a 2.75" front wheel, so if your riding style leans the bike over a lot, you'll end up riding on the sidewall of it.

I'd stick with Ohlins or Racing Bros for suspension. I do run a JRI rear but I'm sold on it being better than the current Ohlins offering.

For brakes, add a steel braided line to the front, a Braking rotor, and some good pads. I like the Vesrah RJL for the stock caliper. Leave the rear stock.

Pick up an intake, Dinger Built SR, MNNTHBX and Chimera are good options.

Bars are totally preference. I've seen some really fast guys with clip-ons and some that use normal MX style bars.

Gearing is everything.

not to thread hijack, i reading this thread cause im also trying to set my grom up for mix street and track use. by chance are you going the the May 3rd track night at PBIR?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Ordered everything except tires! Really looking forward to getting the bits actually put on the bike and givin it a shakedown.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts