Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up y'all. I should be getting my grom this weekend and have made a list of crap to get for it for the track. The grom is completely stock with around 500 miles with the exception of a Yosh exhaust. Take a look at what I have planned and let me know if there is anything else you think I may need to get/should do to the bike. Also, if you think something may not be necessary, lemme know. I have experience on big bikes, but not a grom so any help is appreciated. I am in the Monterey area and plan to race with M1GP and any other organization I can find when time allows.

Screen Shot 2019-04-16 at 1.30.38 PM.png

I'm not really interested in spending money on making more power. As far as I am concerned, more power is the least of my problems.

I'll update this as soon as I have the bike, and in response to suggestions. Thanks for your help and I hope to meet some of yall at the race track.

- Mac

·
Registered
695 Posts
the stock chain sucks and stretches real easy. I would also add chain slack adjusters - it makes life so much easier. There's also the Hardracing engine support brace, which felt like it stiffened the chassis up. Also a shift shaft support brace so you can bang gears and not worry about stressing the long shift shaft.

·
Registered
695 Posts
You're also going to want 50-60% stiffer clutch springs from Kitaco or Finbro or SMR.

The Kitaco Rear shock is a less expensive alternative. It think it pairs very well with the non-adjustible Ohlin's front end.

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
Half the stuff on the list is a waste of money even for racing.

Start off by replacing the rear swing arm rubber bushing with the these
https://mnnthbx.com/product/mnnthbx-bronze-swingarm-bushing-kit-for-honda-grom/

after that install what ever shock you want

good racing tires TT's

front tubes upgrade

better brake pads up front

safety wire your drain oil plug and cam chain tensioner plug

All ball bearings for your wheels

2014 wheels and strip the black paint off, lighter wheels than the new groms

good luck and race safe

·
Registered
695 Posts
How adjustable are the other rear shocks, ie not ohlins or k-tech?
The Kitaco has pre-load adjustment only. If you're heart is set on the Ohlin's rear shock because of the adjustment clickers, you should get the Racing Bro's fork kit. Costs about the same as Ohlins, and the rebound and dampening clickers actually work. Just make sure you use fork oil that is heavier than Ohlin's brand (I know this from putting together a buddy's forks). Probably 7wt is good.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Best bet is to go to your local track and pick the more experienced guys brains. I don't actually have any track time on my Grom so I'm just talking from street experience. Like what Cisco said, if you plan to keep the bike stock bore, you might not need a lot of the extra stuff yet.

You will for sure need better tires, front fork kit, rearsets, a 14T front sprocket and probably larger rear sprocket. Of course, there is the extra stuff to pass safety inspection like safety wire, and catch can, etc.

·
Registered
163 Posts
basics to get started

race tires (Mitas or PMT)
suspension
peg risers
swingarm bearings
braided brake lines
# plate
chain & sprockets

If you decide you want to race or not will determine what else you can do for mods

·
Registered
529 Posts
Join Mini Moto Alliance FB group. These are the guys that track and race down in SoCal. I believe they have the most experience to setting up Grom's for track and racing.

Here's my first to do list:
Tires - PMT slicks, Mitas, or Dunlop TT93's
Sintered Front brake pads and SS line. Most Mini racers use only the front. If you don't feel the stopping power is enough, then go with wave rotors or a more aggressive brake system. Don't think it's needed. Stock rears should stop you just fine. Unless your riding style is Foot out and use / rely on using the rear brake for backing it in. Otherwise, don't bother.
Suspension - Ohlins front and rear, or whichever you feel partial to, or budget allows.
Foot Peg Risers or rear sets - China rear sets or risers seem to be popular, or go with the expensive route, Driven or equiv.
Bars - not sure. It's all personal preference to where you feel getting your body more forward, and comfort. I don't track / race a Grom, so I can't recommend what to get.

As for motor: upgrade what your budget allows and complies within the rules of the class(es). If 125cc. motor must be 125cc. Exhaust, air intake, cam, and piggyback ECM's are a popular setup.

Everything else is personal preference, and or what your wallet allows.

Let the racing begin!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Idk if it was the smartest thing, but i took my grom to the track in almost factory spec. Only thing i have done is a 14t sprocket, exhaust and intake lid drilled a little. I have no motorcycle racing experience but i have raced other vehicles before. I've always like the concept of growing with car/bike, id say get the basics and start racing. 5 grand in parts is nice, but 5k can also get you a hell of a lot of seat time. take my thoughts with a grain of salt like i said tho, i only so far have one track day on my bike. But that day was one of the most fun I've had in leather :beguiled:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the recommendations. I think I am just gunna go with front brake stuff and leave the rear alone. I never touched the rear on my big bikes. Probably gunna go the eBay/Chinese route on the hand/foot controls so I can splurge on suspension. I figure it’ll get thrown around so why not get cheap stuff to scrape up.

As far as engine, I think I wanna leave it stock. I may end up adding bazzaz stuff and a quick shifter down the line. I think for what I plan on doing, leavin engine stock will allow me to run the most classes and let’s be honest, the engine being stock won’t be why I lose 😂

·
Registered
529 Posts
Idk if it was the smartest thing, but i took my grom to the track in almost factory spec. Only thing i have done is a 14t sprocket, exhaust and intake lid drilled a little. I have no motorcycle racing experience but i have raced other vehicles before. I've always like the concept of growing with car/bike, id say get the basics and start racing. 5 grand in parts is nice, but 5k can also get you a hell of a lot of seat time. take my thoughts with a grain of salt like i said tho, i only so far have one track day on my bike. But that day was one of the most fun I've had in leather :beguiled:
Watch Keith Codes Twist of the Wrist II. This is a great training video to help / aid any new rider of improving their riding and experience. There are others out there too, but I recommend this as a good starting point. Unless, you are a foot-out kinda rider, there are plenty of Supermoto training vids too.

Fwiw, I've seen guys in stock form turn some pretty quick laps. Altho', having a bike set-up, and having riding experience, sure helps to turning faster laps. Practice, Practice, and more practice ...... you'll soon get there ;)

·
Vendor
123 Posts
Thanks for the recommendations. I think I am just gunna go with front brake stuff and leave the rear alone. I never touched the rear on my big bikes. Probably gunna go the eBay/Chinese route on the hand/foot controls so I can splurge on suspension. I figure it’ll get thrown around so why not get cheap stuff to scrape up.

As far as engine, I think I wanna leave it stock. I may end up adding bazzaz stuff and a quick shifter down the line. I think for what I plan on doing, leavin engine stock will allow me to run the most classes and let’s be honest, the engine being stock won’t be why I lose 😂
Give us a call when ever you get a chance, we have done multiple sprint races and 24 hr race with M1GP and UMRA.
suspension set ups we have tried
k-tech front and rear
race tech front and ohlins rear ( dual adjustable)
racing bros front and rear shicane hlr
Ohlins front and rear (2 way remote resi)
Ohlins front and JRI 2 way in the rear (currently running)

at the end of the day and all the testing we just stuck with ohlins (it just works and no adjustment needed for the front)

Rearsets we have tried
driven racing (first ones available for the grom)
sato racing (currently running) (we think is the best set up and give you precise shifting and ground clearance

Tires we have tried
dunlop tt93's (good)
kenda kwicks KD1 (good and very similar to tt93s) and cheaper
PMT (our favorite and currently on our bike)

if you are just starting off with track racing I wouldnt recommend starting with off with slicks. Get a good feel for the track with tt93 or kendas, find the breaking point ( limits of the tire) and then you can move on to slicks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Drow - will do. At the moment I was waning racing bros front end and rearshock. I may go with ohlins given your recommendation. I’ve got track experience and a couple races on 600s but this will be the first time on a small bike. Definitely going the pmt route. I ran pirelli slicks on my r6 and zx6r. I’d like to order all my parts through the same people just to simplify the process and since y’all are in California and race here, I will probably go through y’all.

·
Registered
801 Posts
with fuel controller...... party! must add +conical filter +full exhaust system.. looking for bigger exhaust header size..
+ clutch cover kit...
bike will fly

1 - 20 of 42 Posts