Honda Grom banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I'm looking at buying my first Grom, preferably an ABS model. I know that narrows down my options for used, but I've still seen one or two in CA.
I got a quote for $4,350 OTD NEW 2019.
Also got a quote for $4,050 OTD USED 2019 w/ ~400 miles. This Grom also has a ZoOM exhaust, fender eliminator, and bar end mirrors already installed.
Am I right to think that both those options are too high?
What should I realistically be expecting to pay out here in CA?
Thanks!

·
Registered
104 Posts
If it was me i’d Get the used one. It costs less and it has mods, even if you’re not particularly keen on the mods done they’ll hold you off until you get the exact mods you want. Then you can sell the already installed mods and recoup some of your funds.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I'd never buy a used Grom from a stranger especially if it's modded. These bikes are beaten on when ridden normally by somebody that knows what they are doing. I say that because you have to rev the engines to make power. When somebody that doesn't know what they're doing, which is a good possibility since the Grom is a first motorcycle for a lot of people, too many things can go wrong. Bad shifting ruins transmissions and lack of maintenance and constant over revving (even with a rev limiter) can damage engines. Then if the person thinks they are a stunter you can only guess how much the bike has been abused.

People that buy generic exhaust like Zoom are also more likely to not know WTF they are doing IMO.

Pay the extra money now rather than later down the road to fix an abused bike.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I'd never buy a used Grom from a stranger especially if it's modded. These bikes are beaten on when ridden normally by somebody that knows what they are doing. I say that because you have to rev the engines to make power. When somebody that doesn't know what they're doing, which is a good possibility since the Grom is a first motorcycle for a lot of people, too many things can go wrong. Bad shifting ruins transmissions and lack of maintenance and constant over revving (even with a rev limiter) can damage engines. Then if the person thinks they are a stunter you can only guess how much the bike has been abused.

People that buy generic exhaust like Zoom are also more likely to not know WTF they are doing IMO.

Pay the extra money now rather than later down the road to fix an abused bike.
I agree with 50-50. The difference in price between these two bikes (new vs. used) is not very much, and the used bike does not have all that much extra goodies as far as quality mods are concerned. The value, conversely (IMO), of knowing that you got a new bike with a full warranty and not somebody else's problem has a lot of value in terms of peace of mind. If the used bike was -- say -- half the cost of the new one, I would say differently. In THIS scenario, however, I would definitely go new.

The dealership prices seem to vary considerably based on geography. I am in SoCal. My 2017 -- purchased arguably at the height of Grom popularity -- was $4,000 OTD. It was -- at the time -- the very best deal I could get. YMMV.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yup I'm gonna jump on the new train with 50-50 and Paultergeist. For that price difference and the mods on the used, I would get the new one and make it my own. Also I don't trust other people modding their bikes. I mean, every time I put something new on mine I think to myself, if I ever sell this thing the new owner is gonna be like wtf did this guy do?

·
Registered
613 Posts
California's "AMO" dealer fee is almost a $1000 for the Grom, OUTRAGEOUS! You're already paying a 8-10% tax on the damn thing then the dealer gets to shaft you too. And that dealer tacked on "AMO" fees for a used bike!!!!!!!

If you don't want to buy used, then go back into the dealership and give them your OTD Price and be firm with it. If they don't take it go somewhere else. I got a dealer down to around $3500-3600 but still wasn't happy and walked out. I bought a used one owner all original bike and put the saved money right back into it as upgrades.

Good luck

·
Registered
825 Posts
I agree with 50-50. The difference in price between these two bikes (new vs. used) is not very much, and the used bike does not have all that much extra goodies as far as quality mods are concerned. The value, conversely (IMO), of knowing that you got a new bike with a full warranty and not somebody else's problem has a lot of value in terms of peace of mind. If the used bike was -- say -- half the cost of the new one, I would say differently. In THIS scenario, however, I would definitely go new.

The dealership prices seem to vary considerably based on geography. I am in SoCal. My 2017 -- purchased arguably at the height of Grom popularity -- was $4,000 OTD. It was -- at the time -- the very best deal I could get. YMMV.
I paid $4,300 cash out the door for mine and that's totally ok to get a brand new one that I know hasn't had the living crap beat out of it. It's in my own best interest to take good care of it so it will give me years of useful efficient economical fun transportation. :)

View attachment EtjYkKj.jpg

·
Registered
8,240 Posts
All my motorcycles I bought new, I know what is done to the engine, or any mods done is done by me. If you are worried about cost you might be able to look at the Kawi Z-125 or maybe a Benelli mini or even a Kymco spade 150 which is already a 5 speed, 4 valve mini and cheaper and faster right out the door.

·
Registered
613 Posts
You all are right for the most part. It also comes down to "who" you are. For me, these tiny bikes have nothing to them and that $1000+ difference doesn't justify the reliability or other aspects on the bike. If I was buying a "big" bike like a liter or large Harley then yes, the extra cost would be wise to get new.

It really comes down to the OP's intention of changing engine components out though, if he plans on modifying the engine(not including "addons") then the extra cost doesn't make any sense if he has the mechanical skills to do it himself. Either way, these bikes are just too much fun and you'll be happy either way.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Hello everyone,

I'm looking at buying my first Grom, preferably an ABS model. I know that narrows down my options for used, but I've still seen one or two in CA.
I got a quote for $4,350 OTD NEW 2019.......

Thanks!
This is about right for CA. I would still walk in and offer $3800 or $3900 OTD. Shop around. Remember, if you can swing it, cash is king.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Yup I'm gonna jump on the new train with 50-50 and Paultergeist. For that price difference and the mods on the used, I would get the new one and make it my own. Also I don't trust other people modding their bikes. I mean, every time I put something new on mine I think to myself, if I ever sell this thing the new owner is gonna be like wtf did this guy do?
LOL what ARE you doing if somebody is going to look at your installs and think "WTF?" LOL

Mods are fine when done right. But mods to the engine are always risky as a second hand buyer. Were the mods installed by somebody that knew what they were doing? Has the bike been reliable since?

California's "AMO" dealer fee is almost a $1000 for the Grom, OUTRAGEOUS! You're already paying a 8-10% tax on the damn thing then the dealer gets to shaft you too. And that dealer tacked on "AMO" fees for a used bike!!!!!!!

If you don't want to buy used, then go back into the dealership and give them your OTD Price and be firm with it. If they don't take it go somewhere else. I got a dealer down to around $3500-3600 but still wasn't happy and walked out. I bought a used one owner all original bike and put the saved money right back into it as upgrades.

Good luck
WTH is AMO?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Mods are fine when done right. But mods to the engine are always risky as a second hand buyer. Were the mods installed by somebody that knew what they were doing? Has the bike been reliable since?
Reason I very rarely buy anything with mods to an engine done already unless I know the shop that did the mods.

WTH is AMO?
lol, that is almost verbatim what I said to the dealer!!

It's the fee the dealer tacks on after doc/tax/tag fees.

Example of the numbers I had when I went to buy a new 2018.

Bike $2699.00
Tax $202.42
Doc $150.00
Tag $135.00
Dealer fee $795.00
Total quoted $3981.42

I got them done to around $3500 before I walked out of the dealership.

They wanted to charge for the crate the bike came in and putting the bike together. BTW, Honda ships the bike with only the 2 mirrors removed.

They offer low online sale prices to get you in the door then hit you with the fee during the quote.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Reason I very rarely buy anything with mods to an engine done already unless I know the shop that did the mods.

lol, that is almost verbatim what I said to the dealer!!

It's the fee the dealer tacks on after doc/tax/tag fees.

Example of the numbers I had when I went to buy a new 2018.

Bike $2699.00
Tax $202.42
Doc $150.00
Tag $135.00
Dealer fee $795.00
Total quoted $3981.42

I got them done to around $3500 before I walked out of the dealership.

They wanted to charge for the crate the bike came in and putting the bike together. BTW, Honda ships the bike with only the 2 mirrors removed.

They offer low online sale prices to get you in the door then hit you with the fee during the quote.
Slimy. That's why, when I was getting quotes, I asked for OTD prices and got it in writing since I was paying cash. I was quoted $3,851.34 by the owner. When I went back I was handed off to another salesman and he gave me a price that was higher by $100 or something like that. Luckily I caught it before signing anything and what happened is that the owner took off another fee that he was unaware of. They made it right and apologized. Then after the check was written they told me the price actually dropped down to $3,825.34 so I had to rewrite the check. I'm cool with wasting a check to save $26!

Anyway, that AMO fee is complete BS. Ass Monkey Organics right there. :crazy:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I stalked my local dealer for quite a while, finally a 2018 came in with *30* miles. And it looks it. Apparently some guys wife didn't want to ride it. $3100 before taxes. I'm one happy girl now.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
I think a lot of dealers here in AZ do the AMO thing. When I was shopping I planned on buying 2 bikes cash. I was seeing dealerships advertising $2600 "on sale" and when I would inquire on the OTD price I was quoted anywhere from $4300 all the way to $5100. While shopping a used grom came up on craigslist for $3300 with 13 miles on it so I jumped on it (the poor guy paid over $4300 OTD). The last dealership I had a call in came back at $3700 each for 2. I told the guy I ended up buying one used and only needed one now. He said they would still honor the $3700 price. I was happy over all.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hello everyone,

Also got a quote for $4,050 OTD USED 2019 w/ ~400 miles. This Grom also has a ZoOM exhaust, fender eliminator, and bar end mirrors already installed.
Thanks!
I'd buy used only if it is about half the price of a new one. Used bikes have been really abused, specially new riders, they drop them, over accelerate them, bad shifting, bad maintenance or not at all, have been ridden by the whole town, etc. To me a bike is a personal thing. I'd rather buy a new one. I'm very picky and personal about my bike, I don't lend it, I don't like others touching my bike. I even disinfect the handle bars and the seat so often.

$4,350 for the 2019 ABS is just fine. I paid $4,400 OTD for my Grom 2018 in December 2018. If you show them $3,800 cash I don't think they will let you walk out. Just tell them that you will go try another dealer and start walking out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello everyone,

Also got a quote for $4,050 OTD USED 2019 w/ ~400 miles. This Grom also has a ZoOM exhaust, fender eliminator, and bar end mirrors already installed

http://tradevenue.se/.
Thanks!
Thank you my issue has been solved,...

·
Registered
3 Posts
The OP never chimed in again on this, and the thread is 8 months old so I doubt this has any relevancy to the original question but I'll add to the lore.

I purchase all my bikes used/private sale. I have 4 Honda's and a Triumph and the only reason I'm able to do this is they're all purchased at 30-50% of MSRP with no admin fees. I've had zero problems and not by coincidence.

So yes - There are absolutely ways to know how a bike has been treated. You just have to know what to look for. Mileage, condition, cleanliness of the bike, modifications, damage, owner history, owner demographic, all paint a picture of how the bike was treated.

I mean one guy in this thread disinfects his handlebars!! If you walked into his garage and saw his pristine Grom parked next to his Costco-Sized bottle of industrial grade bike handlebar disinfectant, you can start to put together a picture that this dude treated his Grom pretty well...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts