Honda Grom banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day guys

looking at purchasing a Grom as a second fun bike. Located one used with 30000kms (18000 miles) for $1500 AUD ($1000USD) negotiable. I understand I am going to probably have to rebuild the top end and think a grom would be a great bike to learn to do that with. However I am a bit worried about buying a small engine with that many km's. What would you guys consider to be too many km's when buying used?

Cheers Jack

·
Registered
8,240 Posts
Here is the best part, the grom engine is such a forgiving engine to learn about F/I engine and how to tear it down and rebuild it. Me coming from the IT world of computers and such and working on engine was like me coming from the rice fields of Asia riding a water buffalo and trying to fix a diesel tractor for my English farm land.

Go for it, you can do anything in life if you put your mind to it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
In my experience people sometimes get wrapped up too much in mileage. I'd evaluate the bike more on condition. If it's been well cared for that's much more important than mileage. Also these little Grom engines were originally designed with the Asian market in mind. They're designed to provide many many many km's of reliable basic transportation on varying qualities of fuel and lubricants and be fixed with a rubber band and a paperclip.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Absolutly agree with Makrapovic, check when the maintenances have been done, the overall conditions tells a lot about the owner. If there are any mods, check out how they've been done, some people just throw parts without tuning anything, and things can deteriorate way more easily.

Those engines are solid as hell if internals are kept stock. I've seen one sometime with 50k km on it, banging a nice wheelie on youtube to celebrate. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts