Honda Grom banner

101 - 108 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Hey guys! Sorry I didn't get back to many that had tried messaging me for the write up on my build! I've been a bit busy and took a break on the forums over the winter. I've had a overwhelming response / request to the PDF I had made, so i'll get it uploaded to the net so I can just provide a link for download! I've cleared out my PM's now so I can now receive them lol... If anyone has questions I'd be glad to help out. My grom did sell just before the winter started.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Hey guys! Sorry I didn't get back to many that had tried messaging me for the write up on my build! I've been a bit busy and took a break on the forums over the winter. I've had a overwhelming response / request to the PDF I had made, so i'll get it uploaded to the net so I can just provide a link for download! I've cleared out my PM's now so I can now receive them lol... If anyone has questions I'd be glad to help out. My grom did sell just before the winter started.
Wuuut up Nema,,, hope all is good been a while man, how the house hunting go? Find that dream home yet...

Out of curiosity what did you let your grom beast go for?

·
Registered
3 Posts
scale weigh

Alright guys, clocked 60 miles on the bike over the weekend and about 25 miles on the way to work this morning. You know that feeling when you first got your grom? Yeah that's how I feel right now. Absolutely LOVE this swap!!! While it did add weight to the bike, it makes the front end feel more "stable". You can certainly feel that the bike has extra weight but I don't feel like it negatively effects it at all. I'm sure some may say the bike doesn't feel as "nimble" but i'm still able to throw it around with ease. I do have the ND4SPDBH fork mod and I definitely feel like this is a must have with this swap. I'm still running stock fork oil, but will probably be changing that out soon. The torque of this motor is just awesome! It was so peaceful riding into work this morning and the motor just pulled me along so effortlessly. My old build Koso 170 4v setup was peppy, but man did it always have to be rev'd out high in the RPMS to produce the power. The 6 speed transmission is just soooooooo smooth, not to mention the clutch action is great! Unlike the grom's clutch engagement lol. Liquid cooled.... wow so nice not having to watch my temp gage anymore. I really like the CBR 250 cluster with the analog RPM gage.

Wheelies are super easy with this setup!! I also was able to utilize my Yoshi RS-9 slip on for now. I have yet to finalize the mount with it, I have a temp system in place as I was just too impatient to wait another few days to ride the bike (I knew with camping & kids this weekend that I wasn't going to get any work done on the bike; so a temp mount was my only hope). I still have to find a suitable place to put my licenese plate at. Right now it's zip tied to the right rear set which has it sit just behind the shock. I wish I could get away with the vertical plate mount here. I know several people that get away with it and haven't been pulled over, but I really don't feel like taking the chance. Especially since I don't have the rear turn signals on yet... Going with the integrated tail light to ease this part.

So Ill be going by the local scrap yard to put the bike on the scale and see what she weighs now then i'll report back. The weather looks great all week so i'll keep you posted as I keep clocking away miles and update my reviews. I seriously don't think my review is going to net anything negative unless I have some sort of mechanical failure lol.. Oh wait. I did have one issue. First run out I was out riding ear to ear smiles, on my way back home the bike started to cut out, and shut off a few times on me. I instantly figured it was a wiring issue because the bike was running absolutely perfect up until that point. It would restart and go fine, then randomly want to shut down. After I got home and inspected everything I realized the main "ground pack" bolt under the rear seat was loose!!! After tightening it and restarting it was very clear that was my issue.

My thoughts on the previous build Koso 170 BBK; If I had to do all this over again I would NEVER purchase a BBK, Kitaco Cover, etc, etc, etc. The CBR motor is everything I was looking for. The only application I can think of that the CBR swap might not fair well would be as a stunt bike since it does add that weight and stunt bikes don't need all the power.

Now what are you waiting for? Get on facebook marketplace, craigslist, ebay, you name it! Start looking for your swap!! I believe the best deals you will find is searching for a private seller that has a wrecked bike sitting in their garage that they just want to get rid of. Otherwise if you goto ebay for a motor you will probably pay a bit more. A donor bike is the way to go as you can save a lot of time in wiring.
`Did you ever get the scale weight with the swap i looked at the whole post and didn't notice it anywhere . or did i miss it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know the thread is a little dated but anyone get a PDF of the swap info they could share with me? (much appreciated and thanks ahead of time if you do). I'm starting into a swap currently and the extra info never hurts.
EDIT: never mind totally forgot its linked in the description of this video

101 - 108 of 108 Posts