Honda Grom banner

81 - 100 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
@Dutch-MG: I was already looking on the Dutch marketplace for an engine:
Engine 750 euro and 250 euro for ECU complete with keys and Hiss, the tacho cluster was damaged.

Think it's really hard to find this engine cheap in The Netherlands, think we need to extend our search to the whole of EU.
Aha a fellow dutchman! Yes I saw the ad too with the 250cc engine for 750 euro. That one was only the engine, didn't even have a radiator..

How would you import an engine from, for example, the UK into the Netherlands? Can't be done via regular post right?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow, thanks for the great write up. I haven’t even ridden my new Grom yet (will be delivered tomorrow) and I’m already looking for a donor 250cc motor. I would love to get a copy of the PDF. I will send a PM.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #84 (Edited)
So I've been clocking the miles on the CBR250 setup; about 800ish right now. The first 400 I ran it with 14/30 Gearing. I noticed the shifting felt very short between gears and got tiring everytime taking off from a stop light!! So now I've put the other 400 on a 15t front / 30 rear... What a difference. That seems to be the perfect gearing with the setup. It also put the stock CBR cluster almost a perfect match with my phone running GPS to verify speed. The bike has been running absolutely great! I have zero complaints. I read several of the older cbr builds and a lot of the OP's ended up complaining or giving up all together. I feel like the only thing that would have made me not like this swap, is if you didn't get the bike running right. I've been using my Bazzaz for tuning and it runs great and idles nicely. The only "blemish" in regards to tuning is when coming to a complete stop using engine breaking then pulling in the clutch it sometimes will want to stall if you don't blip the throttle real quick. (this is due to the elbow needed to move the throttle body from center) Other than that, which I consider to be extremely minor it is just absolutely fun to ride. The bike climbs hard and fast to 75mph, and will top out around 84 unless going downhill. I've been eye balling the 305cc big bore kit I still give this swap a huge thumbs up and enjoy this much more than my koso 170 4v kit!
T
h
e

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I've been clocking the miles on the CBR250 setup; about 800ish right now. The first 400 I ran it with 14/30 Gearing. I noticed the shifting felt very short between gears and got tiring everytime taking off from a stop light!! So now I've put the other 400 on a 15t front / 30 rear... What a difference. That seems to be the perfect gearing with the setup. It also put the stock CBR cluster almost a perfect match with my phone running GPS to verify speed. The bike has been running absolutely great! I have zero complaints. I read several of the older cbr builds and a lot of the OP's ended up complaining or giving up all together. I feel like the only thing that would have made me not like this swap, is if you didn't get the bike running right. I've been using my Bazzaz for tuning and it runs great and idles nicely. The only "blemish" in regards to tuning is when coming to a complete stop using engine breaking then pulling in the clutch it sometimes will want to stall if you don't blip the throttle real quick. (this is due to the elbow needed to move the throttle body from center) Other than that, which I consider to be extremely minor it is just absolutely fun to ride. The bike climbs hard and fast to 75mph, and will top out around 80 unless going downhill. I've been eye balling the 305cc big bore kit I still give this swap a huge thumbs up and enjoy this much more than my koso 170 4v kit!
T
h
e

Thanks for the update. I received your documentation, it will definitely help with my future swap plans. Now all I have to do is find a deal on a donor bike.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Maz_636; Any luck on the engine bid?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Do you have any pictures of the intake? That seems like the biggest issue for everyone right now.

I have zero issues with this setup and my bazzaz tune. I have tried running a mesh screen (open TB) and I tried using a piece of filter foam between fairing and the throttle body which didn’t work out well. The foam was to restrictive, the open throttle body worked but the bike feels like it has a bit more low end torque with the filter pod pictured above along with a 3” hole cut were the fairing goes over the filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Got my new seat concepts; high seat foam with gripper top, carbon fiber sides. A very easy install. Took maybe 45 min. I’ve put about 60 miles on it now and it certainly feels so much better than stock. I really like no dip up by the tank. Also gives you a bit more leg room between the pegs.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Here is the final install of my air filter; very happy with the outcome it’s perfect size. Also you can see the new seat. So comfortable lol..

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Good stuff!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Here is the final install of my air filter; very happy with the outcome it’s perfect size. Also you can see the new seat. So comfortable lol..

It's got that Harley look with the air filter out the side of the fender. Looks good!

·
Registered
8 Posts
...I've been using my Bazzaz for tuning and it runs great and idles nicely. The only "blemish" in regards to tuning is when coming to a complete stop using engine breaking then pulling in the clutch it sometimes will want to stall if you don't blip the throttle real quick. (this is due to the elbow needed to move the throttle body from center)...
Not necessarily. Honda had a issue with this. Bikes just stalling. Chop Throttle issues, when coasting to a stop usually. My 250r swap suffered with it as well for some time early on before we hooked a laptop up to the Bazazz and made some zero throttle adjustments. With the Bazazz we were able to tune it out almost completely.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Not necessarily. Honda had a issue with this. Bikes just stalling. Chop Throttle issues, when coasting to a stop usually. My 250r swap suffered with it as well for some time early on before we hooked a laptop up to the Bazazz and made some zero throttle adjustments. With the Bazazz we were able to tune it out almost completely.

I have about 98% tuned out the (ever so slight) issue where it would stall coasting up to a stop sign/light etc with no throttle. It's rare that it will do it now, and it never really bothered me before but for the average riders I wanted to make sure that they know the potential that this does exist.. It never even occurred to me that it was a issue until a guy at work was talking to me about his Harley and he was having tuning issues and it was driving him nuts that his bike would stall 1 out of 20 rides... (I chuckled to myself thinking really??) But I guess when your not a gear head and you expect a mod'd bike to ride and act just like your car than I could see someone finding this annoying.. Racing motocross and having several different motorcycles has desensitized me to little "hiccups"....

·
Registered
8 Posts
As I understand it this was always a intermittent issue on the CBR250r. Honda had people riding around with monitoring equipment trying to track it down. Never was addressed and they switched to the 300 before it ever got sorted... THe 300s seemed to be fine from what research I did on it. Only thing it concerned me is putting a strain on the battery reserve.

Hiccups are just challenges that haven't been fixed yet.. always something to tweak... :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
For Sale 4500$ Get a complete CBGROMr 250! Very Very Fun to ride! Building a house so time to move some toys!

81 - 100 of 108 Posts