Honda Grom banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I know a few people have shown interest in my budget suspension. I have access to my GF stock grom for reference. I'm a 230lbs rider. Disclaimer: I am by no means a professional at anything suspension related so take what I say with a grain of salt. Skip to the end if you want the conclusion without reading all my jibberish.

For those who haven't followed here is what I did.

Front forks:
Ohlins spring upgrade (not the full kit) $75
20wt oil $10

Rear suspension:
MNNTHBX swingarm bushing with install kit & fork tool $199
Forsa rear shock $170

$454.00 total (didn't include shipping because that will vary based on location.)

First I'll talk about the forks. The spring upgrade made a big improvement over stock. When i sit on a stock grom I feel like I instantly lose about an 1-1/2" of suspension before the stock springs start even attempting to do their job. Now I sit down and it engages properly. The 20wt oil also helped BUT at my size I think 30wt is what needs to go in. I'm going to be switching it out as soon as my 30wt arrives. I think this is where the full Ohlins kit shines. It addresses the piss poor stock valving. I'll report back my findings once I get 30wt in. Overall it was definitely a nice upgrade for $100. If you can swing the extra coin for the full kit I would imagine it would be the best choice due to the improved valving but on a budget even with the 20wt I would say this is a great improvement.

Next, the rear. I cant recommend the MNNTHBX swingarm bushing kit enough. Holy crap. When I was tearing down the rear to remove the swingarm I unbolted the shock and the swingarm just sat there. I went to cycle the stock set up just to have a comparison for after I installed the bushings and was blown away at how stiff the swingarm was. How it could even be considered a functioning swingarm is laughable. The installation of the bushing was stupid easy. My GF assisted me and even she was impressed at how easy it all when together. Once it was back in the bike and torqued down I was surprised to see there was still some resistance. Nothing even close to the stock garbage but more than I thought there would be. I emailed MNNTHBX about this and got a reply back in less than 30min. These guys are all about customer service and will definitely get more business from me in the future. Greg explained that the swing arm would improve as it wore in and that I would notice a difference once back together. He wasn't kidding. It feels almost weird now because I was so used to the stock garbage. Not bad weird. More like "so THIS is what the swingarm should've felt like". I definitely recommend this product if you want to keep your stock swingarm.

Finally the forsa rear shock. The shock nobody seems to know anything about. Its pretty nice. No idea how it would compare to an Ohlins and no idea how it would perform on a bike with the stock swingarm bushings but in my bike with the swingarm bushings it feels pretty good. I'm still experimenting with settings. The shock has 15 levels of adjustment and level 9 is supposed to be equivalent to the stock shock. I have played around a bit and am currently running it on 11 which seems to be pretty good. I need more time on it and to play with the settings more but 9 was too soft. Not horribly soft but soft. I'm betting if you don't replace the swing arm bushings that 9 is going to be where you want to be. With a functioning swing arm it needs to be dialed up. Also just a heads up. The website makes it appear that the coil is red. Its more of a red orange color. So if aesthetics are important to you the coils red doesn't match the brake calipers. This shock did raise the seat height of my bike by 1/4".

Conclusion: For those that don't want to read my novel above. Budget suspension was definitely worth it. I recommend 30wt oil vs the 20wt oil if you do the springs only. If you can swing it pay the extra money for the full ohlins kit but if money is tight this is a huge improvement over stock. Including a few pictures of how I installed the fork springs without the use of a vise and the forsa rear shock.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Better suspension on a budget is a tough one. Glad you came away satisfied.

As an added bonus, you impressed your GF. Well done.

·
Registered
706 Posts
You can say his Grom wasn't the only thing properly sprung...(kidding)

Thanks for posting this information up. There's always next to zero real world feedback on a lot of Grom performance parts.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just wanted to give a quick update then I'll let this post die, haha. I removed the maxima 20wt from the forks and replaced it with redline 30wt heavy (same stuff the harley guys use when they dont want to revalve the forks). This made a significant improvement over the 20wt & light years improvement over stock. We also put it in my GF's stock grom and she was blown away how much it improved hers with the stock springs.

The forsa rear shock I have settled on level 12 on the setting. It works nice. I will say once its on the bike its a real PITA to adjust so if you decide on this shock find your setting and leave it alone. Definitely cant recommend this shock if you track your bike and need to make adjustments due to track conditions. For your average joe it seems to work well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts