Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ready to pull the trigger on a set of BSTs.

I can only find posts that offer lavish, (almost slobbering) praise for them.

Anybody disappointed in the cost vs benefit ratio after installing and running them?

I have BSTs on my R6 track bike, and they make a significant difference at high speeds in terms of handling forces and they seem to help acceleration times.

Do they really help a Grom accelerate faster and stop quicker at such relatively slow speeds?

·
Super Moderator
872 Posts
B-A-L-L-I-N!

I know DIY01 has a set and has good things to say. It's all about the relative weight savings!

Now, if only I didn't just buy a Beringer brake setup for my KTM. Need to plant more money trees!

Reactions: Pard

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, well, I placed the order, so a review will be coming soon.

Very curious.

No doubt it will do something, but will it be thrillingly different.

It is on an R6 in a fast chicane.

On a Grom?

🤞

·
Vendor
1,907 Posts
I ran them for years. The pros: No doubt they’re insanely light. Eye candy for days. Quality is first rate. Cons: On a bike this size, they arguably made it too nimble. You sneeze, and you’ll switch three lanes.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have had a set on my Monkey for a few months now. They do not give the performance gain and hit of a BBK but I do feel acceleration gains throughout the rev range. I probably beat on mine more than others so time will tell if they hold up to the abuse.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Received the wheels today.

Compared to the larger BST wheels I have used, I must say I am surprised by the inferior finish.

The cush drive adapter on the rear looks really bad. I am amazed they let it go out the door like that. Cosmetic problem only but at this price point, not happy at all.

Sent pics to the vendor and they will forward to BST.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
913 Posts
I'm with you, no excuse for that considering what they cost.

·
Registered
516 Posts
What do they typically cost? I can’t believe they would let those go out the door looking like that either.

I have had a set on my Monkey for a few months now.
View attachment 88483
I like how your Monkey looks with those wheels.

·
Super Moderator
872 Posts
What do they typically cost? I can’t believe they would let those go out the door looking like that either.

I like how your Monkey looks with those wheels.
These are $1400 MSRP wheels lol

·
Super Moderator
872 Posts
I am very impressed with their response time. From disappointment to resolution in less than 24hrs!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I am very impressed with their response time. From disappointment to resolution in less than 24hrs!
Yes and no.

The front wheel was not perfect either, but I am not bothering to send that back. There were imperfections in the center hub as well.

Installed and test rode the front today.

No significant difference from stock in aggressive street riding. 40-70 mph with hard braking and WOT when not braking.

Will see if the back makes a noticeable difference.

I was afraid the relatively slow speeds would not benefit that much from the lighter wheel. Seems to be the case.

·
Super Moderator
872 Posts
Disappointing about the front too. For that price, I would probably insist on perfection, or close to it.

Reactions: Pard

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Disappointing about the front too. For that price, I would probably insist on perfection, or close to it.
The front is not that big a deal imperfect, but surprisingly imperfect.

I am more disappointed by the lack of spine tingling performance improvements, but I suspected it would not make much difference.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a set on my Grom they look great but honestly at this size performance gain for weight saved isn't a huge difference Now on my Rocket 3 on the other hand...

Reactions: Phoenix and Pard

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I have a set on my Grom they look great but honestly at this size performance gain for weight saved isn't a huge difference Now on my Rocket 3 on the other hand...
Bingo. Not the most compelling return on investment mod for the Grom. Putting it way down on the list in terms of performance upgrades. Like you said, they are beautiful ... but IMHO only skin deep in this application.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I have experience with BST wheel on other bikes.
I always enjoy your posts. You like to try new parts and put them to the test. I appreciate the honest assessment. That is helpful to know about the minimal performance gains in this case. Sounds like money is better spent in other areas.

I just need more power now. Well, who doesn’t, right? Brakes, suspension, tires, controls, bling.....I’m good to go. My engine has all the typical mods, but still lacks power. A complete BBK or a High Compression Piston/Head combo is what I should focus my money on.

It is going to be a while though. I’m having to focus on other stuff right now. Here soon I will install my 36t rear sprocket and a new gold chain. That should help. Maybe over the winter I will have my throttle body taper bored. I think that will be a good place to leave off for a while. The bike is really fun the way it is.

The state of New York makes you display that big sticker?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts