Honda Grom banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah it was a bit nuts to say the least. I Went from West Hills to Manhattan Beach and back all on the freeways both ways. Somewhere along the way I averted at least three accidents and reached an indicated 66 mph. The top speeds I could reached seemed a bit low for my 140 lbs. dry and est.155 lbs. dripping and heavy coat soaked weight.

None the less, the little Grom handled business. Additionally, today turned out to be a hard break in experiment :) since I had to go full throttle a several times for extended periods. I was hoping to coax 70 mph out of my Grom but never got close to that speed. Today's Round trip was 68 miles. With the first ride back from the dealer, my Grom is at the 97 mile mark after ride number two and for all practical purposes broken in.

I had an adventurous commute that I don't think I'll try again on the Grom? We shall see... I probably try it again once I do a mod or two :)

I give the Grom a foockin A for the day!

·
Registered
8,378 Posts
when I had my 170-183cc 2v BBK kit engine I would ride from San Jose to San Francisco on Hwy 101 via hwy 237, no problem except near the SFO airport for some reason the air density seemed a little different and would slow down my grom from 65-70mph to 55mph but once I got pass the overpass to the Cow places the grom would pick up speed again and hit 65-70mph no problem.

I have friends who ride over the hill from Santa Cruz to San Jose on hwy 17 "880" and have zero issues, they are running the super head 125cc kit with full exhaust system and mod airbox and they say no problem.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Yeah it was a bit nuts to say the least. I Went from West Hills to Manhattan Beach and back all on the freeways both ways. Somewhere along the way I averted at least three accidents and reached an indicated 66 mph. The top speeds I could reached seemed a bit low for my 140 lbs. dry and est.155 lbs. dripping and heavy coat soaked weight.

None the less, the little Grom handled business. Additionally, today turned out to be a hard break in experiment :) since I had to go full throttle a several times for extended periods. I was hoping to coax 70 mph out of my Grom but never got close to that speed. Today's Round trip was 68 miles. With the first ride back from the dealer, my Grom is at the 97 mile mark after ride number two and for all practical purposes broken in.

I had an adventurous commute that I don't think I'll try again on the Grom? We shall see... I probably try it again once I do a mod or two :)

I give the Grom a foockin A for the day!
Yikes! "Adventure" is an understatement. I avoid freeways even on my SuperMoto! (lol)
We each represent the two different approaches to break in. I have almost 500 miles on mine and all of them are easy ones.
Us little guys enjoy a performance edge on such a little bike with a little engine. ;)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've done the SF Valley to Los Angeles commute three times now. Trip two with both air box snorkels removed and an open exhaust and I hit 67 mph at one point. It was too loud. Trip 3, I put the db reducer in the open pipe and still with the snorkels removed, chain tightened just right and oiled, I hit/flickered 70 mph once, yeah! Then I filled up gas at the Shoup exit just past Topanga Cyn, for a whopping 1.15 gals for 135.8 miles. That's 118 mpg ! whoa, holy popping pop corn bat man :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts