Honda Grom banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all. Thank you for allowing quick and easy registration to join the forum. I've been an active reader for months now, as I began considering my first bike. The new 2021 blue Monkey arrived yesterday with zero miles - I'm beyond psyched. I've put exactly five miles on it (it's cold AF right now in the Southeast), and I have a quick question. I'm a brand new rider, newly licensed with only the MSF/Basic Rider Course under my belt. I took the class three weeks ago, so my knowledge is limited to the course, as well as what I've watched on YouTube and learned from forums like this. In my two outings with the Monkey, when I get back home I notice a faint smoke smell. Not gas, but something else. I definitely haven't been hard on the bike, and haven't even exceeded 28mph. Is this normal for a brand new machine, like are fluids, pads, etc. "breaking in"? There's no actual smoke; rather, just the smell, and it dissipates within a couple of minutes. Just trying to gauge how much I should be concerned or if this is normal and therefore a nonissue. Thank you all for your camaraderie!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Pilliam, I have road a lot of new bikes. I worked as a motorcycle mechanic for many years. Every new bike I have ridden smells. The paint is curing and manufacturing oils are burning off. We purchased two monkeys last fall and they both smelled a bit for a while. I am new to this sight also. Isn't it the GREATEST!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi, all. Thank you for allowing quick and easy registration to join the forum. I've been an active reader for months now, as I began considering my first bike. The new 2021 blue Monkey arrived yesterday with zero miles - I'm beyond psyched. I've put exactly five miles on it (it's cold AF right now in the Southeast), and I have a quick question. I'm a brand new rider, newly licensed with only the MSF/Basic Rider Course under my belt. I took the class three weeks ago, so my knowledge is limited to the course, as well as what I've watched on YouTube and learned from forums like this. In my two outings with the Monkey, when I get back home I notice a faint smoke smell. Not gas, but something else. I definitely haven't been hard on the bike, and haven't even exceeded 28mph. Is this normal for a brand new machine, like are fluids, pads, etc. "breaking in"? There's no actual smoke; rather, just the smell, and it dissipates within a couple of minutes. Just trying to gauge how much I should be concerned or if this is normal and therefore a nonissue. Thank you all for your camaraderie!
Most likely nothing to worry about....New Motorcycles do have a smell for a bit...If your seeing something smoking, and its not coming from the tail pipe, then you might have an issue.
These bikes are well built and I'm sure it's most likely just the normal new bike smells....Enjoy your new Monkey...Careful...people will want to ride it..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, Marriendmonkeys and stuball. Nice to know we've all got a nice, congenial place to turn. :)Appreciate your quick responses and will keep an eye on things.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yep, completely normal. Aside from the motorcycle heating up and burning off oils, gerases, exhaust paint etc you will always encounter smells on a bike that are way more obvious than if you were in a car - bakeries, fresh-cut grass, whiff of perfume, etc.

You will also take smells from the bike with you - hot oil, burnt gasoline, asphalt and car exhaust. In time you'll likely come to see these as pleasant or even comforting smells.

Welcome to the world of riding - make sure you do a head-check before entering traffic and always wear your riding gear! Most importantly, have fun!

- boingk

·
Registered
51 Posts
New bike smell after a ride may be my favorite fragrances ever.
Honda’s have a particularly sweet sort of smell when the engine and paint are burning in.
Sometimes I will sneak back into that garage after a ride and just breathe in the intoxicating aroma.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ride like ever car on the road doesn’t see you. That way when a car does pull out in front of you, you will already be expecting it and will hopefully avoid a collision.
New bike smell should go away pretty quick.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts