Honda Grom banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some advice from you guys. I blew up my stock motor grom. Most likely from wheelies and burnouts. I beat on my bike pretttty bad. That being said should I replace with stock parts and add supporting mods like kitaco clutch cover and super oil pump for the reliability? Or can I go bbk with a reliable enough setup to take the abuse I put on the motor? To give you an idea on the abuse very high 60+ second long wheelies in 2nd gear. I'm not talking a little wheelie he and there. I'm pretty sure that's why I blew the stock one in the first place. If you guys can point me in the right direction or a nice very reliable bbk setup that would be great! TIA!

·
Registered
8,407 Posts
I'm looking for some advice from you guys. I blew up my stock motor grom. Most likely from wheelies and burnouts. I beat on my bike pretttty bad. That being said should I replace with stock parts and add supporting mods like kitaco clutch cover and super oil pump for the reliability? Or can I go bbk with a reliable enough setup to take the abuse I put on the motor? To give you an idea on the abuse very high 60+ second long wheelies in 2nd gear. I'm not talking a little wheelie he and there. I'm pretty sure that's why I blew the stock one in the first place. If you guys can point me in the right direction or a nice very reliable bbk setup that would be great! TIA!
Get the NEO 181 since it will come with the better crank, for the money that is where I would start

Kitaco Neo Big bore Kit - Low Prices, Honda Grom 181 big Bore Kit

https://www.steadygarage.com/store/kitaco-181cc-neo-big-bore-kit-crankshaft-honda-grom-msx-125

Pick one, don't forget you'll need a FMS "fuel manage system" PCV or some other, you'll need a better throttle body and external oil cooler.

Good Luck and Build safe

·
Registered
441 Posts
did you starve it of oil? complete motors go for less than a grand on ebay. Sounds cheaper if its going to be an on going issue

·
Registered
3 Posts
You should go with stock parts. Once you get it back on the road try to keep your rpms down when doing really long wheelies and it'll last longer. I have 8k miles of wheelies on mine and it's still running strong.

·
Registered
291 Posts

Here's a split case. Note where the oil pick up is(above crank in this picture, front lower right of motor on the bike). When you wheelie all the oil flows into the gearbox area(no oil pick up). So basically unless you modify the oil pick up(people have this in the works) you will starve the motor for oil no matter what you do. If your stunting I'd say grab a stock motor off eBay and run that. Then modify the pick up on the old case and build that motor to swap in when the newer stock dies(or before it dies).

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Well, with as many people as I see blowing up BBK's staying on two wheels, I somehow don't see a BBK being beneficial to someone always on one wheel.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts

Here's a split case. Note where the oil pick up is(above crank in this picture, front lower right of motor on the bike). When you wheelie all the oil flows into the gearbox area(no oil pick up). So basically unless you modify the oil pick up(people have this in the works) you will starve the motor for oil no matter what you do. If your stunting I'd say grab a stock motor off eBay and run that. Then modify the pick up on the old case and build that motor to swap in when the newer stock dies(or before it dies).
^^ this. That or just throw a take-off top end on it. Stock parts are super cheap. If you're not going to modify the pick up there isn't much of a point going BBK, high flow pump will just pump it dry faster on a wheelie and the BBK piston will be more surface area to lube/cool with no oil.
If you modify the pick up (check YouTube, I saw it there the other day)- go for whatever you can afford.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts