Honda Grom banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at possibly going with a big valve, ported head with a cam on my stock bore grom. Is this a recipe for a gutless bike down low?

My current set up is:
Dinger bulit long intake
moriwaki exhaust
DHmotoring ECU reflash
14t sprocket

I'm thinking about switching the moriwaki exhaust for a yoshimura RS-2 figuring the longer piping on the yoshi could help in the torque department over the moriwaki. My thinking is having the long intake with the longer exhaust could compensate for the loss of torque brought on by the cam/head combo. Am I on the right track in my thinking?

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you just go with a stock valve ported head and DHM stock bore high compression piston, CJR has a flash for it that he did for my setup. It's a pretty cookie cutter build anyone can do and it's pretty easy on the budget. I built my own intake, but he said it compared favorably with the Chimera. Check out my build thread for specifics.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you just go with a stock valve ported head and DHM stock bore high compression piston, CJR has a flash for it that he did for my setup. It's a pretty cookie cutter build anyone can do and it's pretty easy on the budget. I built my own intake, but he said it compared favorably with the Chimera. Check out my build thread for specifics.
Read your build thread and dig it. Are you sticking with the stock cam or do you plan to swap it later?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Read your build thread and dig it. Are you sticking with the stock cam or do you plan to swap it later?
It has a TB Parts cam. The stock cam runs out of steam after about 7k rpm. I'm contemplating upgrading to the DCR Race spec cam.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It has a TB Parts cam. The stock cam runs out of steam after about 7k rpm. I'm contemplating upgrading to the DCR Race spec cam.
How do you like that cam as far as low to mid power? Is it as good as stock or weaker than stock and comes alive up top? I dont race my bike just street ride and Im a bigger guy at 225lbs. I'd like to be able to go back to stock gearing to get some of my top speed back as I hit the rev limiter with the 14t front sprocket.

·
Registered
64 Posts
How do you like that cam as far as low to mid power? Is it as good as stock or weaker than stock and comes alive up top? I dont race my bike just street ride and Im a bigger guy at 225lbs. I'd like to be able to go back to stock gearing to get some of my top speed back as I hit the rev limiter with the 14t front sprocket.
With intake, full exhaust, cam, and ECU flash, it does lose some low RPM grunt under like 5k. Above 5k it's just as strong as stock and after 7k it's no comparison. When you add in the DHM high compression piston and ECU flash for it, you gain back the low RPM power lost from the TB cam, and its very similar to stock. From 5-7k you get nice fat boost in the midrange but after 7k you kind of plateau all the way to redline. With my ported head, it just adds a bit more power everywhere and it really keeps building power up to 9.2k and doesn't really start falling off hard till 10.5k. I have a feeling with a bigger koso 34mm throttle body, ported big valve head, and that DCR race spec cam, it could make another 20-30% more power at closer to 12.5k rpm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts