Honda Grom banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What big bore kit should I get for my 2018 grom? I 'am wanting to ride it where traffic is not on top of me. What else would be recommended to get also. I currently have a stock Grom with only sprocket, exhaust,intake and dynamic jet programmer. Thanks for the help.

Registered
I had a fairly similar setup to you before i went bbk. I had the 14t, custom intake, exhaust, tb cam, and a finbro ecu. I went with the TB 186 kit, and a flashed ecu from DHM.... will solve your traffic issue. I have 3 builds with this kit all over 3000 hard miles, a 2014,2017, and 2019. As long as you keep your stock head, your reliability should be fine. The 186 makes so much bottom end torque that you will need 60% springs and/or a new clutch pack as well.

馃

Registered
That 186 is a good kit for a simple setup thanks to DHM's ecu flash. It isn't the highest of quality to push much beyond that. I will also say many people don't see more mph than a super 125 because all the power falls off up top.

There aren't many 181s left on the market. Leaving 143s and the koso 170. If you plan to upgrade later the koso is rebranded under the endurance brand on webike for super cheap and has a forged higher comp flat top piston and thicker skirt.

Registered
Kitaco NEO is awesome. Going big bore without beefing up the crank is very risky.

Check all the threads on this forum about it.

Registered
Dont need revs if ya got torque :) lil dremel work lets the 186 breathe fine to 10k anyway. Just remember a 3000 dollar bike doesnt need 2000 worth of engine parts to make it fun. 馃し鈥嶁檪锔

Registered
Kitaco NEO is awesome. Going big bore without beefing up the crank is very risky.

Check all the threads on this forum about it.
meh, the stock crank weakness is from high revs .... have seen 4 grom with stock internals snap rods from high rpm use.

I put in a crank with my 186 cause my 125 build killed the rod from high rpmsss .....

stay under 9k if no rod

go up to 10.5 on 186 set up with rod and race head

Registered
meh, the stock crank weakness is from high revs .... have seen 4 grom with stock internals snap rods from high rpm use.

I put in a crank with my 186 cause my 125 build killed the rod from high rpmsss .....

stay under 9k if no rod

go up to 10.5 on 186 set up with rod and race head
Truth! Piston speed is the enemy to reliability. My stock valve head goes 80 with the 186 and 16/32... grom gets pretty scary above 70 anyway 馃槀馃ぃ

1 - 7 of 7 Posts