Honda Grom banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to decide between the Pirelli diablo and the Michelin pure sc for my grom. I'm racing mini moto mostly against crf100's. Does anyone have experience with either or both tires? I took the bike out for testing at a trackday last weekend on the stock tires. Felt like I was riding on ice. What made it worse was the pegs constantly dragging and popping the rear tire up in the air. I think I took care of that with rear sets but now I'm looking at tires.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Check out the Mitas MC35 S Racer tires. TT93s are also very popular, as are PMT slicks.

·
Registered
178 Posts
A cheaper alternative is the Kenda KD1s.

·
Registered
530 Posts
#1 PMT slicks 100f / 120r
#2 Mitas 100f / 120r
#3 Dunlop TT93's or Bridgestone Battlax 100f / 120r
#4 Kendas KD1 (for those on a tight budget) 100f / 120r
#5 Michelin PP's

"Felt like I was riding on ice" - be sure to run proper tire psi. Sounds like your psi was too high. I've seen guys run a decent pace on stock tires. Otherwise, see my tire list above ;)

·
Vendor
123 Posts
Trying to decide between the Pirelli diablo and the Michelin pure sc for my grom. I'm racing mini moto mostly against crf100's. Does anyone have experience with either or both tires? I took the bike out for testing at a trackday last weekend on the stock tires. Felt like I was riding on ice. What made it worse was the pegs constantly dragging and popping the rear tire up in the air. I think I took care of that with rear sets but now I'm looking at tires.
Best tires to race with that we like is PMT soft 100/90-12 front and 120/80-12 or 130/75-12

·
Registered
3 Posts
#2 Mitas 100f / 120r
#5 Michelin PP's
Have you actually tried and compared all those tires?

A couple of questions about PMT's vs Mitas:
How do they compare for tire life?
Which ones are better suited for cooler (or varying) climates like Wisconsin?
Which ones warm up the fastest without warmers?

Thanks

·
Registered
530 Posts
Have you actually tried and compared all those tires?

A couple of questions about PMT's vs Mitas:
How do they compare for tire life?
Which ones are better suited for cooler (or varying) climates like Wisconsin?
Which ones warm up the fastest without warmers?

Thanks
Keep in mind, I am no tire expert. Just a experienced rider (track and raced since 2003) and have used all the brands mentioned.

I have the most experience on Dunlops, because they had been the most preferred and used tire for track, and street w/ 12" wheels. Up until the last 4 years, I have discovered the other brands.

The PMTs seemed to had lasted me a bit longer than the Mitas. Both are good tires and seem to warm up about the same. But, I like the PMT's over the Mitas. Again, based on my own experience, and methods of warm up. I have never used tire warmers, tho'. The guys that take racing a bit more serious, use warmers.

My suspension / tire guy says for colder temps suggests a harder compound, if that helps.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't think the pressure was too high. I lowered it considerably and that's when i started to get slightly more grip but I had no confidence in the stock tires on a cold track with it being 55 degrees outside. I mounted the michilen PP 2ct's so hopefully they will be better. They look to at least have a better profile.

#2 Mitas 100f / 120r
#5 Michelin PP's

"Felt like I was riding on ice" - be sure to run proper tire psi. Sounds like your psi was too high. I've seen guys run a decent pace on stock tires. Otherwise, see my tire list above ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I took my grom to the track for the first time last weekend and had a blast. Im looking to upgrade the stock tires and i cant make up my mind between the TT93's and the Mitas. A lot of the guys at my local even were running the mitas, and they seem to work really well but they are dedicated track groms.

So for my questions, has anyone ever ran either tire for dual tack and street use (yes i know they will wear faster) and it seems like you can run them with out warmers? My second question (well question 2.5 i guess lol) if i was to pick the Mitas, i see people running different compounds on the front and rear. Whats the best combo to pic or should i keep the compounds the same front and rear.

thanks
Keith

·
Registered
530 Posts
Due to my background of having YSR's and NSR, I had used Dunlop TT's for both street and track. I have only used Mitas on the track, on a KX65. I can say, I rode the KX65 a lot harder than the YSR or NSR. Therefore, really hard to say whether the Mitas would go the distance (a long time), as I had with Dunlop TT's. Difference with the Mitas, are compound options (soft, med, hard), vs Dunlops. Regardless, you can't go wrong with either, and both have similar tread patterns., not that it really matters. OTOH, until you start beating or keeping pace with the really fast guys, you probably won't tell the difference with grip. Having the proper psi for your riding style and preference is key to having optimal grip and confidence, regardless what tire you use ;)

I have one track day on the Kenda KD1's. A work in progress of dialing in the psi for ideal grip. So far, I like them...... until I decide to switch up to Mitas. Again, I prefer PMT slicks. But, the bike is being used for street and track. Slicks on the street are illegal, and not worth taking a chance with.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm actually runny Mita soft right now on the street and I'm surprised how long they have lasted

For the price I would rather have the confidence with the mitas, ran Dunlops for years but since trying the mitas I haven't looked back

1 - 15 of 15 Posts