Honda Grom banner

101 - 115 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Honda Monkey and others
792 Posts
16/34 is what top speed and what rpm?

17/34 is adding more load and more heat.

What temps are you running in what speed range?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
16/34 is what top speed and what rpm?

17/34 is adding more load and more heat.

What temps are you running in what speed range?
16/34 gives me 65 mph at 8500 RPM

Temps in CHT never get about 350F

Oil temps per aracer are around 100C

I want to gear the bike so that I can twist to WOT coming out of corners and stay at a max of 9K RPM.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I forgot the Kitaco has the shorter gearing in top gear so you'll need to gear up.

That said, what is top speed and what is your redline?

I'm just curious of the operational range of the NEO kit versus 4 valve kits.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Top speed at 8500 RPM is 65 mph on level ground, 16/34.

9K is the absolute redline I am setting to try and have some degree of longevity on the motor.

No idea what it can do above 10K where some like to operate.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Top speed at 8500 RPM is 65 mph on level ground, 16/34.

9K is the absolute redline I am setting to try and have some degree of longevity on the motor.

No idea what it can do above 10K where some like to operate.
Where is the NEO kit making max power out of the box with the 34mm throttle body and good flowing exhaust?

Just because you allow it to reach max power doesn't mean you have to use it.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
Been comparing fuel injectors to see what difference they make.

I had the "H" injector from the DHM 187 kit and ran that in the NEO compared to the "NNJ" that comes with the NEO. 150 miles on each with auto tune.

As expected, with the NNJ, the Neo produced much better overall power (seat dyno) and a much smoother power delivery throughout the range.

Had to run auto tune for the NNJ after running the H. Was interesting to see that the map from the H was running too rich throughout when using the NNJ, again as expected due to the greater fuel delivery from the NNJ.

Bottom line, make sure you use the appropriate injector for your build!

This chart came from a thread on this forum, forgot where.

● INJECTOR NAMES & FLOW RATES FOR B-TYPE INJECTORS:

• 5H T INJECTOR (6-HOLES / 115CC FLOW RATE)

• 5F T INJECTOR (6-HOLES / 120CC FLOW RATE)
  • F INJECTOR (6-HOLES / 120CC FLOW RATE)https://store-zcr99jn3.mybigcommerce.com/120cc-b-type-6-holes-f-injector/
  • VF T INJECTOR (6-HOLES / 120CC FLOW RATE)

• H INJECTOR (6-HOLES / 140CC FLOW RATE)

• 5J T INJECTOR (8-HOLES / 145CC FLOW RATE)
  • VHT INJECTOR (6-HOLES / 145CC FLOW RATE)

• 5A INJECTOR (DOUBLE SPRAY PATTERN / 160CC FLOW RATE)

• 5LT INJECTOR (6-HOLES / 170CC FLOW RATE)
  • NLJ INJECTOR (6-HOLES / 170CC FLOW RATE)
  • 5VJ INJECTOR (6-HOLES / 170CC FLOW RATE)
  • 5ED INJECTOR (8-HOLES / 170CC FLOW RATE)

• C INJECTOR (8-HOLES / 175CC FLOW RATE)

• NNJ INJECTOR (10-HOLES / 235CC FLOW RATE)
  • 5NJ INJECTOR (10-HOLES / 235CC FLOW RATE)

·
Super Moderator
904 Posts
I'm still chasing the perfect gearing on mine. 14/36 is what I use currently. Tried 13/36 on the track and that was scary almost lol.

Glad to see the bikes back up and running Pard.

I have only ridden my Grom twice in 2021 so far, and I kind of don't miss working on it all the time.

Reactions: Pard

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 · (Edited)
I'm still chasing the perfect gearing on mine. 14/36 is what I use currently. Tried 13/36 on the track and that was scary almost lol.

Glad to see the bikes back up and running Pard.

I have only ridden my Grom twice in 2021 so far, and I kind of don't miss working on it all the time.
Tried out a 17 front and 34 rear today. Almost perfect.

With the Kitaco 5 speed I can now use the gearing to keep the power between 8-9K all the time using the full range of throttle.

I may try a 35 rear with the 17 front. Need to get used to the new setup a bit more.

13/36 would be fun on a really tight track. I have my gearing targeted for technical back roads with WOT and braking being the most common activitiy.

85F today, 1 hr hard riding and CHT never went above 350F and oil temp never above 210F.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,395 Posts
Really glad my last engine blew up or I might never have experienced what the Neo and 5 speed offer!
How serious are you being? Do you feel the 181 is better in every way compared to the hi-comp 125? Or is it a give and take type of situation? Are some of the accolades meant solely for the 5 speed or is it mostly the 181 neo?

Edit: asking for a friend. ..... lol :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
How serious are you being? Do you feel the 181 is better in every way compared to the hi-comp 125? Or is it a give and take type of situation? Are some of the accolades meant solely for the 5 speed or is it mostly the 181 neo?

Edit: asking for a friend. ..... lol :ROFLMAO:
The package is very much more refined than what I was riding before which was stock 4 speed trans and a DHM 187 kit, larger intake and race exhaust. Both tuned via Aracer.

The Neo definitely is a smoother running engine throughout the RPM range. Orders of magnitude smoother, that has nothing to do with the 5 speed.

The 5 speed shifts so nicely and allows better power band control, which would be true for any top end.

I really enjoyed my last setup, but this is better.

101 - 115 of 115 Posts