Honda Grom banner

61 - 80 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 · (Edited)
Received the new Takegawa rings and set the gap using a proper tool. Easy and accurate.

Still dead in the water on the rebuild without all the parts I need due to lack of inventory.

Apparently the Ever Given crisis is to blame. Who knew!?

evergiven.PNG

And a heads up for ebay buyers. This vendor supposedly had the right crankcase half but has not responded to any communication or tracking requests. I should have read his feedback which is horrible as of late. Will have to dispute the transaction.

big country.PNG

Thinking my only option if I want to get this part is to buy from webike at high prices and crazy expensive shipping.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Last summer I was ordering fairly frequently from Webike. Using DHL shipping, the parts were here the next day.

Sometimes you can time it when the exchange rate is pretty favorable. I’ve also used Webike points that my account accrued to offset some of the cost. My Yoshimura cam was about $160-$170 after using points, if I remember correctly. That is quite a bit cheaper than what they sell for here in the United States.

I probably didn’t care too much about the cost to be honest, because I was too excited about getting cool parts, that in many cases aren’t usually available from our vendors. Webike has everything.

Reactions: Chillis and Pard

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
I hear you, and I wish I had a better attitude about wasting money and saving money. Considering how much cash goes into my bikes, the idea of trying to save $ 100 on a critical part that I need is ludicrous...

Need to discuss it with my therapist. First I need to get a therapist but I am too busy with my bikes! :)

·
Registered
663 Posts
Don’t bother! I’ve got a therapist. It’s overrated...lol. It can be helpful for some things, but they certainly don’t have all the answers. I don’t think they know what to say to me sometimes.

My advice: Climb on one of your bikes a enjoy a rip session in the mountains! Time spent amongst mountains is the greatest therapy of all.

My father considered a walk among the mountains as the equivalent of churchgoing.
-Aldous Huxley

I hate wasting money, but sometimes you’ve just got to get the job done. Try building a house right now. Good grief. Talk about pissing away money. Lumber costs have soared.

Reactions: Chillis and Pard

·
Registered
2020 Honda Monkey and others
792 Posts
Just order the 5 speed Takegawa which is usually $100 cheaper than US prices to offset any Webike shipping charges.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Pard, are you planning to install a 5-speed? Did you feel like you really needed one with your 186 BBK?

Everyone always seems to recommend the 5-speed. I’ve read that the Takegawa 5-speed isn’t always perfect.

My 4-speed shifts like a dream. Neutral is so easy to find. Probably easier than any motorcycle I’ve ever ridden. I kind of hate to mess with it.

Every time I’ve considered doing a big bore kit, it seems like it would cost $2500-$3000, to really do it up right.

aRacer Mini5 and AF1
Kitaco forged crank and rod
Koso 170 piston and cylinder
Koso 34mm throttle body and manifold
Ported, larger 2-valve head
Takegawa 5-speed
Hindle exhaust
Sprockets

It would be nice to skip the 5-speed and the aRacer if possible. I’m not sure if there is a cheaper option for an ECU. The aRacer is crazy expensive for a $3000 motorcycle. Maybe I could even skip the Hindle for a while too.

I’ve decided to stop where I’m at now. At least for a while.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
I don't really feel the need for a 5 speed with the big bore. It moves through the gears easily to redline.

Stock bore could sure use a 5 speed to get through 3rd to 4th.

I run the aracer 5 mini and AF1. Really enjoy the auto tune and data it provides. Well worth it for the ease with which I can try different displacements, intakes and exhausts and find a new tune that fits the mods. Not really sure how it can be done without it.

I also have carbon wheels on my Grom, so the cost of acquiring the new bike was just a foot in the door to begin the real fun of experimentation!

·
Registered
663 Posts
I’ve spent a ton of money on my bike, too. Are there some other auto tuning ECUs available now? Does Cameron Jones offer something now?

·
Registered
792 Posts
Pard, are you planning to install a 5-speed? Did you feel like you really needed one with your 186 BBK?

Everyone always seems to recommend the 5-speed. I’ve read that the Takegawa 5-speed isn’t always perfect.

My 4-speed shifts like a dream. Neutral is so easy to find. Probably easier than any motorcycle I’ve ever ridden. I kind of hate to mess with it.

Every time I’ve considered doing a big bore kit, it seems like it would cost $2500-$3000, to really do it up right.

aRacer Mini5 and AF1
Kitaco forged crank and rod
Koso 170 piston and cylinder
Koso 34mm throttle body and manifold
Ported, larger 2-valve head
Takegawa 5-speed
Hindle exhaust
Sprockets

It would be nice to skip the 5-speed and the aRacer if possible. I’m not sure if there is a cheaper option for an ECU. The aRacer is crazy expensive for a $3000 motorcycle. Maybe I could even skip the Hindle for a while too.

I’ve decided to stop where I’m at now. At least for a while.
I don't really feel the need for a 5 speed with the big bore. It moves through the gears easily to redline.

Stock bore could sure use a 5 speed to get through 3rd to 4th.

I run the aracer 5 mini and AF1. Really enjoy the auto tune and data it provides. Well worth it for the ease with which I can try different displacements, intakes and exhausts and find a new tune that fits the mods. Not really sure how it can be done without it.

I also have carbon wheels on my Grom, so the cost of acquiring the new bike was just a foot in the door to begin the real fun of experimentation!
The 5 speed is awesome. Reading the numbers/ratios on paper does not do it justice. You never are in a situation where you can't comfortably drop a gear and be in the meat of the powerband.

Heck, even with my newfound power I'm considering going back to stock sprockets because the 5th gear is capable of over 100mph and I can't reach that with 16/32 or 16/34 on level ground and I'm not looking for overdrive.

It feels like the 5 speed is a wide ratio transmission.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 · (Edited)
@Chillis, that is a compelling case for the 5 speed. May have to try it .... (y)

Update: the Takegawa 5 speed is out of stock for 3 moths at Webike so I am going with the Kitaco.

Ordered the crankcase from webike as well.

Kitaco:

·
Registered
29 Posts
The picture is of the bottom of the engine. The case blew out.

I need to tear it down and see what was damaged. I am expecting it to be extensively damaged.

Here is video of the moment of failure. Sounds of metal crunching ...

Where's the warranty? That sounds like a defect in materials to me. How could that even happen if fluids were kept up to snuff?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Where's the warranty? That sounds like a defect in materials to me. How could that even happen if fluids were kept up to snuff?
No chance of warranty on an engine that was modified to the extent that mine was.

The piston connecting rod failed and started a chain reaction of parts breaking in the crankcase leading to the entire case failing.

Not the first time it happened, and wont be the last...

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Most parts are here, still waiting on bearings ordered from bike bandit ONE MONTH ago. Covid...

Thinking I may want to add an engine brace. Not much recent chat about it's use or benefits.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Most parts are here, still waiting on bearings ordered from bike bandit ONE MONTH ago. Covid...

Thinking I may want to add an engine brace. Not much recent chat about it's use or benefits.

The Monkey has the little bracket under the frame that connects to the bottom back of the engine.

Does the Grom not have a similar bracket already?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
The Monkey has the little bracket under the frame that connects to the bottom back of the engine.

Does the Grom not have a similar bracket already?
Nope. Three mounting bolts, one is at the back and bottom, but this plate adds extra support.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I’ve been running the Hard Racing engine brace since summer of 2019. It is a nice piece. I also use their shifter shaft support bracket.

I got it after I installed the Kitaco clutch cover. I wasn’t sure if there was a tiny bit more vibration or not after removing the oil spinner, so I thought I would try the engine brace to see if it made a difference.

I think maybe it helped. I don’t notice any vibrations now. I don’t know if that is because I am just really used to my setup or because the brace made a difference or maybe there weren’t really any additional vibrations to begin with after the clutch cover was added. It’s hard to say.

I rode my buddy’s bone stock Grom over the winter. His bike probably vibrated more than mine. He too thought my bike felt way smoother overall.

I also installed the Takegawa 4th crankshaft support bearing too, thinking it might smooth things out a bit. I love my setup.

I’d say add the brace. It couldn’t hurt, especially with your higher horsepower engine. The Grom’s engine mounting tabs are pretty thin.

Reactions: Pard

·
Registered
792 Posts

Which bearings?

I haven't heard a good thing about Bike Bandit in years!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Which bearings?

I haven't heard a good thing about Bike Bandit in years!
The transmission bearings that press fit into the crankcase halves. Bike Bandit has actually been good to work with for me. The issue is horrible supply line disruptions. NOBODY had the merch I needed. Supposed to ship out today actually. They sent me an update.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Wow! You are truly a righteous dude! Kind of like Mad Max sharing his gasoline!

Ha hA!

I am pretty confident now they are on their way. But Really appreciate the offer!

61 - 80 of 115 Posts