Honda Grom banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,339 Posts
what top 2 brand of spark plugs you recommend for the grom? I have a stock engine with only ecu w/Dino; air intake, yoshimura rs mini full exhaust with over 1100 miles on it.
I personally use NGK, I think Denso is a common choice as well.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,339 Posts
noob here.....so since you said connecting rod and crankshaft are 2 of the weakest links on the grom engines is that after you install a big bore kit or stock engine or both? Reason I’m asking cause I was just thinking of replacing those 2 items you said on my stock grom since you posted those 2 are the weakest links BUT I wanted to ask you 1st.
The aftermarket crank and rod will not fit a stock bore motor. It will only fit a bbk due to the small rod end and piston skirt interference. I would love to see one mocked up though, see if you could clearance the skirt enough to run it......

Reactions: Mr.109sp

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
@Pard did you have the 4th bearing/bracket and catch can/venting of the case/head?
Did not have the 4th bearing, the new build will for sure.

I had 3 sources of crankcase ventilation. Stock, oil fill port vent, and cam cover vent. All 3 vents has their own uni filter. No catch can, never saw the need, the oil spray remained in the lines.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Save me a search--has anyone fit one of the 190 Chinamotors into a Grom???

·
Registered
21 Posts
Im selling my sf motor with 170mi with a few upgrades.
Everything is new....
Kitaco clutch cover
Mnnthbx clutch plate
Kitaco 60% springs
I also have the stock cluster,torched dingerbuilt intake with titanium iat screws, fairing rod and brand new in box otb cam cover.

If interested let me know

Attachments

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Im selling my sf motor with 170mi with a few upgrades.
Everything is new....
Kitaco clutch cover
Mnnthbx clutch plate
Kitaco 60% springs
I also have the stock cluster,torched dingerbuilt intake with titanium iat screws, fairing rod and brand new in box otb cam cover.

If interested let me know
Sent you a PM.

·
Registered
644 Posts
noob here.....so since you said connecting rod and crankshaft are 2 of the weakest links on the grom engines is that after you install a big bore kit or stock engine or both? Reason I’m asking cause I was just thinking of replacing those 2 items you said on my stock grom since you posted those 2 are the weakest links BUT I wanted to ask you 1st.
This is what the typical Grom SF crank failure looks like.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Godamn man, that was an epic rod failure. Glad you kept the rubber side down right after it let go.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Ohhh, my post count is at 613! Feels all kinds of unlucky! 614 here I come!

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,339 Posts
I should have put on the forged piston rod. I have yet to confirm that is the source of failure, but so far seems likely.
Details on your bike? Were you stock bore or BBK?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Received an almost new engine today! Some great upgrades already installed, purchased from a great forum member @Slimish . Mint condition engine and the best shipping protection I have ever seen. Outstanding!!!

Installed the engine in the bike and will get back to riding while I wait for backordered parts to trickle in on my new Kitaco Neo big bore build.

Can't find a right side crankcase anywhere, except for gouging double the normal price listings on ebay.

If you have a right side crankcase in superb condition, let me know!

·
Registered
644 Posts
That’s great, Pard. I’m glad that worked out for you.

Reactions: Pard and Chillis
41 - 60 of 72 Posts