Honda Grom banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know you can buy a temp gauge. But with a temp gun, where would be the best location on the engine to get the most accurate reading? Would the EOT be the best location?

If there's someone with a temp gauge and temp gun, it would be greatly appreciated if you could compare different location readings on the engine with temp gun as compared to the temp guage. To get the best location to get temp gun reading from the engine.

·
Registered
110 Posts
just an opinon but i wouldn't think it would matter as long as you always measure the same spot, say the cylinder head in a certain spot. turn the bike on, let it idle a bit then check. ride a little ways then check. That would give you a baseline. so then if you go over that it could be compared.
Now if you need need exact temp for tuning or something, ignore my simplified approach.
but the temp gun is how I occasionaly check mine too. really hot days or really hard rides.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just an opinon but i wouldn't think it would matter as long as you always measure the same spot, say the cylinder head in a certain spot. turn the bike on, let it idle a bit then check. ride a little ways then check. That would give you a baseline. so then if you go over that it could be compared.
Now if you need need exact temp for tuning or something, ignore my simplified approach.
but the temp gun is how I occasionaly check mine too. really hot days or really hard rides.
good info. So if I wanted to read the temp for the head, where would you suggest to get my readings from?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
good info. So if I wanted to read the temp for the head, where would you suggest to get my readings from?
Well, I mean, as long as you are getting them from the same place why would it matter? You're comparing the numbers to each other, not to another person's. We all get pretty varying head temps and they fluctuate rapidly. Pulling over, parking and getting your temp gun out is going to give it time to drop more than 10° in my experience.

With that said, the head temp sensors usually go at the spark plug. Do whatever you like with that info.

Reactions: turpinator

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
When I measure the temps with my temp gun I always measure the same spots the cyl, the head and the in and out sides of the oil cooler. How I do that is go out and ride and stop when its heated up and without turning off the bike I measure the temps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts