Honda Grom banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
I did something similar yesterday. I like the idea of being able to put it on a battery tender/charger without popping the seat off every time. Thanks for the pics!

·
Registered
177 Posts
That's some incredibly thick wire for a 5 amp hour battery!

Very clean. I like it. Much better than the usual pigtails that I have installed on my beasts.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's some incredibly thick wire for a 5 amp hour battery!

Very clean. I like it. Much better than the usual pigtails that I have installed on my beasts.
those are some leftover from my CB scrap:) the good thing it won't bounce around underneath.

·
Registered
258 Posts
You really need an inline fuse as close to the red terminal of your battery as possible for your red wire. If the insulation wears through against the frame someday without being fused the wire will burn/melt anything in its path until it burns in two. Potential of fire if not fused.

inlinefuse_zpsac120ede.jpg

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You really need an inline fuse as close to the red terminal of your battery for your red wire. If the insulation wears through against the frame someday without being fused the wire will burn/melt anything in its path until it burns in two. Potential of fire if not fused.

View attachment 2212
Excellent advice, I will add 2amp inline fuse :) Love this website!

·
Registered
659 Posts
The question often arises, how long and often do you need to run your motorcycle to maintain the battery so it will continue to start. Bikes are all different with some charging at idle and others not but here is what my Vespa manual says for a guideline: To maintain good battery and system health (they are talking about seals and injectors here I think) the engine should be started at least once a month and run slightly above idle for 10 minutes. So it doesn't really take much to keep the battery going...provided it is a good battery to begin with. The gas would get old and tires might not do too well...well a Vespa rear tire would be fine cause it would rotate each time you rev the motor cause it would be on the rear stand, but the front one would be in the same position. Of course it would be so much better to get out and ride the bike more often and longer than 10 min. a month, but it does point out that batteries don't discharge quickly. I don't personally use a battery tender living in Texas cause I ride almost every day. Having said all that, the battery tender can help extend the life of older batteries and really cant hurt anything, so if you don't ride very often, it is still a good idea.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Excellent advice, I will add 2amp inline fuse :) Love this website!
A 2 amp fuse will likely be enough for charging with a battery tender jr.

A 2 amp fuse will likely blow instantly if you try to use it for jump starting.

I would use a 10 or 20 amp fuse. It is still quite possible to blow a high amp fuse during a jump start because the current required to initially turn the engine is very high. This is the reason they don't put fuses in jumper cables.

The goal here is to protect your Grom from fire. If you use it for charging only, the fuse will protect the bike. If you want to jump start the bike, I suggest removing your seat and using jumper cables.

Good luck!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I installed a flush-mount cigarette lighter in the right side of mine with heavy duty 12 gauge silicone wire and an inline fuse. My jumper cable has lighter plugs on both ends, so any car can charge the bike. The trick is to not try to jump start it ... or that'll blow the car's lighter fuse. You just plug it in and charge the Grom for about ten minutes ... then unplug it and then the bike will start up. Super simple to use ...

Also, you modify your battery maintainer with a cigarette lighter plug instead .... just plug it into the Grom whenever you park it. Remember to loop the cable over the throttle ... to remind you that you're plugged into the battery maintainer so you don't go charging off and rip it out of the socket.

·
Registered
128 Posts
i do recommend to disconnect both terminals to charge battery. Charger can fried ecu module with both terminals connect battery.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts