Honda Grom banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought my 2015 grom new about 4 years now and its got about 2900 miles on it. I usually ride it pretty regularly all summer then 'store it' away in my garage in the winter months. Every spring prior to this year, the bike has started up no problem after winter (ie. didn't have problems turning over/no hesitation).
This year, however, when I went out to start it for the first time, the display lit up when I turned the key to ON but when I hit the power button it didn't even try to turn over (& the display flickered, everything you expect to see when a car/bike has a dead battery.

A couple days ago, I finally went out and bump started it then drove It around for ~20min/1 mile expecting this to solve the problem (charge up the battery at least enough to be able to start it normally). While driving around I noticed the electrical doing weird stuff,
  1. Horn sounds like it was beat with a stick
  2. Blinkers when turned on and also while throttling (both L&R switch), the display did the rpm boost thing it does when you first turn the key to the ON position before starting normally, but it didn't do this every time. In fact, It seemed to not do it less often the longer I rode it.
    1. my blinkers: LED Front Flushmount Signals | Honda Grom 2013 - 2020
  3. Tail light looks like its having a stroke when you turn the blinker on either way
    1. video of this post-20min ride: https://imgur.com/gallery/Q5oY6O5
    2. i think my taillight: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/competition-werkes-integrated-taillight-honda-grom-2014-2015
The front blinkers I installed some time in the summer of 2018 and same with the tail light. The front blinkers literally plugged into the factory hardware so I didn't have to mess with wiring. However, I did have to wire the taillight into the existing wiring (I followed instructions/video for this). To add, both the front blinkers and tail light worked beautifully last fall (last time I would have been riding it regularly). I checked the tail light wiring and everything still looks intact.

I guess my question is do you think my bike is old enough to need a new battery, which could be causing all of this? or do you think it dying/light issues are from some wiring problem? I just don't want to spend $100+ on a new battery if it could be a bigger problem. Any suggestions or questions are welcome.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts

Reactions: Phoenix
1 - 3 of 3 Posts