Honda Grom banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Those 2 pics you are referring to:

There is still part of the bearing (outer) in that hub. Use a long drift punch & hammer from the opposite side and bang it out. Work your way around the bearing with the punch. Do not always punch in one place.

If you get a new bearing you will see what I believe is the outer portion of the bearing still stuck in there.

If you have access to a press you can use that too.

Reactions: n8der

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
yes, still there.

take it a machine shop or a business that knows what is going on like a speed shop that does service. you could ruin the wheel.

In severe cases I have had to grind a chunk of the outer bearing out so it would come out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. Yea is pretty bad. I think it failed because of a poor designed dual caliper bracket. Foot brake caliper sits on top of rotor. HB caliper sits on the bottom of rotor. With an oversized rotor. I don't know for sure if that's why it failed but I definitely abused the rear brakes. I'm gonna try a new dual caliper bracket as soon as I get this sorted out. Thank you WV Grom for you're help.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
No problemo.

FYI: Normally I would suggest a bearing kit from All Balls, Pivot Works or Moose. In this case, with your using a dual caliper I suggest OEM Honda bearings.

Look at this fische and familiarize yourself with the innards of the hub. Might not be a bad idea to take the wheel to your dealer. Replace all 3 bearings & seals. #8 the collar may be roached too.

https://www.morgantownpowersports.c...R_WHEEL/GROM125-18-THA-AC/14K26H01AK26AF1940A

Let us know how this shakes out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got it out with a dremel and didn't mess up the hub anymore then it already was from failing. It wasn't the prettiest thing inside the hub but it will do for now. I didn't bother ordering a spacer because I have a new wheel on the way. I also picked up a new dual caliper bracket. The Chimera big rotor bracket which I highly recommend and its one of the cheaper brackets out there. Solid bracket.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
before it blew up did you hear any random knocking noises coming from the rear wheel or anything that would warn you it was wearing down? I have this weird sound coming from the rear every once in awhile... its not every stop but if I ride for a hour ill hear it a few times here and there when I'm coming to a stop usually with clutch in because that's when bike is the quietest but it doesn't sound like its coming from the engine and I have no clue what it is. but I'm thinking mine is going to do the same if I don't replace it soon. though its not really getting worse..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes I hear a lot of noise on coaster's but if you're worried. Take off you're helmet and pull the clutch in and listen. I have caught a bad crush drive bearing on a 636 with my helmet off but it's kinda of crazy a bike with such low HP toasted a bearing with no warning like this.

Mine failed from a bad dual caliper design. It was a horrible design and that company is out of business now.

Also from what I have read here from other member's posts.. sometimes the spacer's are not in spec....especially early model Grom's (2014). The spacer's might be a millimeter off on the sprocket side or brake side. If you have an early model Grom i would definitely check.

I've read on here rear bearings failing at 300miles. Early model Grom's the spacing was not correct.

I'm just glad I got that bearing out. It was not fun.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good afternoon! Wondering how common rear wheel bearing issues are with these things?

have a new 2022 w/ 4k on the dash and it appears my rear bearing just took a dump. Lateral wobble on the wheel abt 1/2-3/4”, popping every second or 2, not necessarily in time w/ speed but close. More noticeable after I tap rear brake. Feels like I have a flat rear tire and brake dragging. Caliper is clear and chain is good. Wheel is aligned.

thoughts? Thanks in advance for any advice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts