Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a new 2019 Grom a couple nights ago. I owned a 2015 a few years ago, but sold it after 300 miles.

Been riding it, and discovered it has a vibration that gets worse the faster you go. Pull in the clutch and it still does it, so it's not engine related. The whole bike shakes. When I put all my weight on the pegs and/or sit on the tank, it gets a little better. Sit farther back on the seat and it doesn't change.
When I spin the wheels by hand, I don't see any bad runout or anything, but that's spinning pretty slowly.

I suspect a bad front tire or possibly wheel. Does that sound right? It has the lousy Vee Rubber. I have tomorrow off, but all the local dealers are closed on Mondays.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I actually just went through this same exact issue and found a bad tire after literally pulling the whole bike apart.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guess I need to decide if I want to warranty this at the dealer and take a chance on another set of Vee's or just buy some better tires.

·
Registered
48 Posts
you better off with better tires unless you cant afford it now.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took the rims and Pirellis to the dealer and they put them on for me. I didn't mess with the warranty, I just paid for it. Got home and realized they put the front tire on the rear rim, and rear tire on the front.
Went back today and they swapped them for me. The service writer told me they had another new Grom with the same problem. Lousy Vee Rubber from the factory, and Honda won't do anything about it.

Got it all back together and it's much better.

·
Super Moderator
86 Posts
The service writer told me they had another new Grom with the same problem. Lousy Vee Rubber from the factory, and Honda won't do anything about it.

Got it all back together and it's much better.
Sure they will - it's the dealer who does't want to because the reimbursement for warranty labor from Honda is less than the customer-pay rate.

Dealers prioritize customer-pay work because they make more profit by selling the parts at a markup and charging the customer a higher labor rate than what Honda pays.

A dealer who is truly on your side would have sold you the Pirelli tires for the relatively small difference between the price of the factory tire(s) and the replacement tire(s) (if you wanted something different than the factory tires) and not charged any labor because he's already getting reimbursed by Honda. I was going to do that on my PCX that had faulty IRC tire(s), but Michelin didn't have a City Grip tire in the size I needed.

With that said, your vibration shouldn't be "much better", it should be completely gone. The replacement IRC tires on my PCX and the original Vee Rubber tires on my Grom have zero vibration.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Part of being a dealer/franchise is honoring warranty repairs, always amazed how many businesses try to screw their customer. I know you said you didn't want to deal with it through warranty but it's part of their contract to do it. Look at it this way, they probably charged you high fees for assembly and freight for the new bike so even if they get reduced labor pay from the OEM they have it covered.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Your ingenuity is touching part of dealer's game is to dodge all of these common problems of new vehicles.. To avoid problems with brand they resell.. I had a cracked windshield staff at 15000 km on my Yamaha. They soldered it and promised a new piece. There are 2 years I waiting for that piece lol hahaha

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The vibration is better but it's still there. Mostly around 40 mph now instead of all the time.
The dealer didn't balance them when they installed the Pirellis. They said their balancing machine's shaft wasn't small enough for the Grom wheels. I'm done with the dealer, I'm not going to demand they fix this when they can't even put the correct tire on the correct wheel. Not to mention they have a brand new Grom that's been sitting in the service bay with the same exact problem and they can't figure it out.

I suppose next I'll buy a static balancer and try balancing them myself. Maybe throw some dyna beads in it and see what happens.
Before all this happened I bought some OG gold rims just for the bling. When those come in maybe that'll fix it? Maybe there's something wrong with my SF rims? I did read that they're heavier, and not as good quality as the OG rims.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Put the dyna beads in both wheels this morning, took it for a ride. They didn't do shit, lol. Guess I'll try the gold rims next. Hopefully the SF rims are crap. I can't believe I would've gotten a bad set of Pirellis also.

·
Super Moderator
86 Posts
:( I've never ridden an OG to compare, but my brother's 2017 SF and my 2019 SF are smooth and have no wheel or tire vibrations whatsoever, so it is possible to get balanced wheels and Vee Rubbers from the factory.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Changed out my OE Vee Rubber for Continental ContiScoot tires and that cleared up the high speed vibration I was experiencing. They were balanced but didn't require any weights.

So yes, balancing is key.

·
Super Moderator
86 Posts
Dealers say they "never" balance the wheels on scooters and small motorcycles because it's not necessary due to their small size and low weight.

While it's true that the force is lower given the same wheel speed, the smaller tires also turn faster.

The Grom's front wheel, for example, is turning as fast at 43 MPH as a Honda Accord's wheels are at 60 MPH. At 60 MPH on a Grom, the front wheel is turning as fast at the Accord's wheel would at 83 MPH.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts