Honda Grom banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about getting some frame sliders for drop protection but I've noticed that most of them don't even make contact with the ground in the event of a drop due to the way the Grom is built. Would I be better off just sticking to bar end sliders and perhaps axle sliders?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I don't understand why nobody has made a slider/spool combo for the rear.
I've seen some stunt Groms have things that stick out towards the back of the bike (I think they're meant for standing on during wheelies) but aside from that I don't think there's much out there aside from axle sliders. T-REX Racing does make some spools for the swingarm and the spools are made of delrin, but I had to remove those to make room for my womet tech axle sliders.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked the R&G frame sliders on my SF Grom - to the right the exhaust is the first thing to hit by far. To the left, it should be much better but I realize now I forgot to check...
Can you make sure to update when/if you do check?

R&G sliders were the ones I'm interested in.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I've seen some stunt Groms have things that stick out towards the back of the bike (I think they're meant for standing on during wheelies) but aside from that I don't think there's much out there aside from axle sliders. T-REX Racing does make some spools for the swingarm and the spools are made of delrin, but I had to remove those to make room for my womet tech axle sliders.
Delrin is about as easy to machine as it gets. An aspiring person could easily make an axle slider with the Delrin part shaped into a spool.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I put 4.25" bmx pegs on the back of my 50 but I don't think they would be long enough to protect the pipe on a grom.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I guess what you need is going to depend on what exactly it is you're trying to protect. On my bike (pics below), it looks like the various sliders should do a decent job of protecting the frame, but some of the other components are probably going to get damaged in the process. The footpegs and pedals look like they will all hit before the R&G frame slider. Likewise, those fairing pieces that jut out to the right and left of the gas tank are also probably going to take an impact.

20190521_163620.jpg 20190521_163852.jpg
20190521_163609.jpg 20190521_163830.jpg

To get any more protection, you'd probably have to go with crash bars or something really heavy duty. I decided for myself on a commuting/fun bike that sliders would be sufficient.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
726 Posts
The stock muffler is a perfect crash slider for the right side of the bike.

I suggest getting the SATO steering stops and running wide MX handle bars if you're going to stunt. The bar ends can serve as crash protection. The steering stopper will save your stock super weak steering stop tabs, and keep your handlebars from smashing your gas tank cover.

You're gonna want to keep a supply of foot controls and hand controls.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts