Honda Grom banner

Are Kevlar Jeans as Good as Leather?

5K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  nosnostratos 
#1 ·
Can Kevlar jeans protect you as well as leather riding pants can?

#3 ·
Kevlar is dead (but cheap). It is too heavy and too hot. Try a modern pair of riding jeans that do not use Kevlar. We ride with Rokker jeans that look and feel like normal jeans but have even better protection than Kevlar. Our Rokker tech ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene core jeans have a 6-second slide time (regular jeans have 1/4 of a second time). Our Rokker Violator jeans have the same core but also a full Dynatec liner that is still breathable and way lighter than Kevlar and gives an 11-second slide time. We also added ce2 armor in the knees and hips, but you won't easily see that when wearing them.

Jeans in action:

PW: DUCR3

PW: CJR

#5 ·
Yeah, the price is high and it really depends on what you are looking for or willing to pay for. We tried on many different pairs (probably 10 different types including Kevlar), but we loved the way the Rokker feels like normal jeans. I wear them to work on Fridays and forget that I am even wearing riding jeans. Nobody even notices. The Kevlar jeans were way too heavy and way too hot for us, but they are much cheaper. We own five pairs of Rokkers between me and my wife, and we'll buy a few more this coming season. Sometimes you can find a closeout on Revzilla and get a pair for pretty cheap (relatively speaking).

#11 ·
ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time) only works if you are compliant.

Full race leathers with an airbag all the time with proper boots and gloves will save you from the most injuries, all else being equal.

If you won't wear it, it won't do anything.

Find the most protection you will actually wear, and wear it no matter what.

There are countless riders who suffered injuries major and minor who regret not wearing the proper gear.

Be smarter.

#12 ·
Kevlar is not as good as leather when it comes to a slide. Not all leather is equal, either. Kangaroo leather is the toughest and most expensive.

Some textile suit makers boast that they are the better material, but if you look at the top tier of motorcycle racing, they all wear leather suits with some Kevlar as reinforcement. They also crash at close to 200 mph on occasion.

In the case of a Grom, since the fastest you will hit the ground is likely to be 70 mph and below, textile suits, such as aerostich, protect very well in a crash.

#13 · (Edited)
The debate between Kevlar jeans and leather riding pants has been ongoing among riders. While Kevlar jeans offer some protection, they may not match the full protection that leather provides. Leather is known for its abrasion resistance and durability.
For those who prioritize safety, vonbaer.com offers a range of leather goods, including motorcycle gear and accessories, that can enhance protection while riding. It's worth exploring their options to find what suits your preferences and riding style best.
Ultimately, the choice between Kevlar jeans and leather riding pants depends on your comfort, style, and the level of protection you're looking for during your rides.