Honda Grom banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the aRacer Mini 5 with AF1 and DG1 on my 2018 Grom for around 2K miles with no issues until yesterday. I noticed at WOT the AFR was starting to wildly dance around 14 -16 AFR on the DG1 display. I figured it was just the TPS needing a reset and performed that. The next day, the problem seemed to be getting worse with erratic lean readings starting around 50% throttle. The engine seemed to be running fine, but I may have felt a little power loss.

I pretty much leave the ECU on "Auto Tune" and the AFR's usually stick in the low to mid 13's. I occasionally save and load my maps after a long ride and have never seen the AFR's go much over 14 until recently.

To alleviate the problem, I ended up starting from scratch by loading the "2018 Stock" Quick Burn map. The AFR's seem to be back to normal now, however, I have lost the tachometer bar display on my stock gauge cluster. Now, I was running the "2016 Stock" Quick Burn map before the problem. I loaded the 2016 map when that was all that was available on the list at the time I installed the Aracer ECU.

Any suggestions on how to get my Tach to work again?

Anyone else have similar problems with their AFR?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Adam

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I have not had problems with the AFR's with my mini5.

Although I did have the tach problem like you described. I picked another map and tuned away.

Even tried emailing aRacer about the problem. Was about as helpful as a box of cats.

Reactions: Paultergeist

·
Registered
8,369 Posts
check both the CL sensor on your head and also the WB02 sensor on your exhaust pipe and if they are black or dirty on the tip use a brush to clean the tip and the sensor.

Check and make sure your DC+ voltage to your AF1 is ok and the grd lead is ok and connected solid.

Check your throttle body and make sure your A/F screw is set correctly and your connection to your air filter is snug and tight and no air leaks.

Check and make sure your spark plug looks good and the spark plug wire is solid connection to the plug.

Good Luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Even tried emailing aRacer about the problem. Was about as helpful as a box of cats.
Yeah, I figured as much... Good product but the info and support is nonexistent.

check both the CL sensor on your head and also the WB02 sensor on your exhaust pipe and if they are black or dirty on the tip use a brush to clean the tip and the sensor.
The bike only has 4K miles on it, I doubt I've fouled the sensors in that amount of time. Plus I'm basically stock except for exhaust and airbox mod. I will go ahead and re-seat all the harness plugs and check the voltage though.
Thanks!
Adam

·
Registered
410 Posts
I just checked the available maps.

The FLASH is for getting the RPM signal for the tachometer as the two generations have a different signal from the ECM just for the RPM.

OG = 2014-2015
SF = 2016++

If you started with a 2016 map and then used the 2018 map, there is virtually no difference. Also, I have been told them 2018 map is corrupt so you should be using the 2016 map IF you have an SF bike.

AFR display if it's working will work the way it's designed to do. Too much air = lean, too much fuel = rich.

A customer of mine told me his AFR was stuck at 18 and never changed (but was working prior). After he did all the bells and whistles and blamed the ARACER, turns out he had a HUGE crack in his exhaust right before the O2 sensor, so of course this exhaust leak will throw off your reading. You should check your sensor if it's fouled or if you have an exhaust leak (it is an audible noise).

·
Registered
410 Posts
Yeah, I figured as much... Good product but the info and support is nonexistent.

The bike only has 4K miles on it, I doubt I've fouled the sensors in that amount of time. Plus I'm basically stock except for exhaust and airbox mod. I will go ahead and re-seat all the harness plugs and check the voltage though.
Thanks!
Adam
Did you get this from me? Because I provide A LOT of support for the Aracer and mostly the only vendor that will respond back to you on the situation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just checked the available maps.

If you started with a 2016 map and then used the 2018 map, there is virtually no difference. Also, I have been told them 2018 map is corrupt so you should be using the 2016 map IF you have an SF bike.
Thanks for the info, I switched back to the "2016 stock" map and tuned from scratch again. The tachometer is back and everything works fine.

A customer of mine told me his AFR was stuck at 18 and never changed (but was working prior). After he did all the bells and whistles and blamed the ARACER, turns out he had a HUGE crack in his exhaust right before the O2 sensor, so of course this exhaust leak will throw off your reading. You should check your sensor if it's fouled or if you have an exhaust leak (it is an audible noise).
Like I said, the only thing I changed to alleviate the problem is to reload the "quick burn" map and start tuning from scratch. Now, It could be an intermittent problem with something else down the line but I have had zero AFR reading issues since reloading the firmware. I'm not necessarily blaming the aRacer ECU or subcomponents, I'm just reporting my findings to see if anyone else has experienced anything similar.

Did you get this from me? Because I provide A LOT of support for the Aracer and mostly the only vendor that will respond back to you on the situation.
Yes, I did purchase the unit from you. I also plan on getting the Super 125 kit from you as soon as I'm comfortable with the ECU.

·
Registered
15 Posts
this might sound not too smart but im woundering if clearing the tps with an aracer mini5 is the same process with stock ecu...ie remove seat uncap red square and paperclip two wires...or would i just do the learn tps in the app.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts