Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 grom with a aracer mini 5 with af wide band, kozo 170bbk, db short ram intake, hindle exhaust, takegawa tb, kitaco oil catch can, kitaco 5 level oile cooler, and stock injector. The issue im having is the bike has a hard time keeping idel and when i am riding at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle then try to ping my throttle to get up and go it bogs a little then starts to catch up. I dont really know how to use my aracer mini 5 to tune im hoping someone on here could help me out with this. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,420 Posts
Are you maxing out the stock injector?

·
Registered
2020 Honda Monkey and others
819 Posts
I have a 2018 grom with a aracer mini 5 with af wide band, kozo 170bbk, db short ram intake, hindle exhaust, takegawa tb, kitaco oil catch can, kitaco 5 level oile cooler, and stock injector. The issue im having is the bike has a hard time keeping idel and when i am riding at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle then try to ping my throttle to get up and go it bogs a little then starts to catch up. I dont really know how to use my aracer mini 5 to tune im hoping someone on here could help me out with this. Thank you.
Asking too much from the stock injector.

Did you run through all of the setup parameters of adding the 170 map, getting your throttle plate set per instructions, have the air screw starting at 2 turns out from lightly seated in, O2 sensor off, auto tune off, set fuel base to 12.8:1 which means you will probably be over 100 there.

Like Ninelives mentioned, injector should be bigger. Go at least to the PCX150 and adjust your fuel base until you hit 12.8 at idle.

Make sure idle is around 1600 to 1700.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Asking too much from the stock injector.

Did you run through all of the setup parameters of adding the 170 map, getting your throttle plate set per instructions, have the air screw starting at 2 turns out from lightly seated in, O2 sensor off, auto tune off, set fuel base to 12.8:1 which means you will probably be over 150 there.

Like Ninelives mentioned, injector should be bigger. Go at least to the PCX150 and adjust your fuel base until you hit 12.8 at idle.

Make sure idle is around 1600 to 1700.
I am at a 12.7 at idle but around 1200rpm and everything else is set to how you stated but is there anyone that can send me a tune that would work with a stock injector?

·
Registered
819 Posts
You are asking too much of the stock injector. It will not flow enough for your setup.

What is your fuel base set to?

I'm on the Monkey map which is probably the same as the Grom map with slight variation.

You chose the map for your bike based on year and engine size. Then turn off O2 sensor and turn off auto tune. Then use fuel base to get your afr set, then loosen the lock nut that holds throttle plate position and turn the little Allen screw in to raise your idle to 1600 to 1700 and lock it down.

Then turn your air screw in and out to get the strongest idle.

Then turn on your auto tune and run it for a couple hundred miles.

Your setup needs at least a PCX 150 injector.

My setup I'm running the Forza 300 injector with a fuel base around 80.

What is your fuel base set at?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are asking too much of the stock injector. It will not flow enough for your setup.

What is your fuel base set to?

I'm on the Monkey map which is probably the same as the Grom map with slight variation.

You chose the map for your bike based on year and engine size. Then turn off O2 sensor and turn off auto tune. Then use fuel base to get your afr set, then loosen the lock nut that holds throttle plate position and turn the little Allen screw in to raise your idle to 1600 to 1700 and lock it down.

Then turn your air screw in and out to get the strongest idle.

Then turn on your auto tune and run it for a couple hundred miles.

Your setup needs at least a PCX 150 injector.

My setup I'm running the Forza 300 injector with a fuel base around 80.

What is your fuel base set at?
My fuel base is at 107 for my idle to stay but im just more tring my best at everything due to this being my first bike im not very knowledgable lol ty.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Follow what I posted and see what the fuel base changes to.

If you have it idling at 1200, adjust the idle speed on the throttle body and then raise the fuel base.

Again, adjusting fuel base should be done with auto tune off, O2 sensor off. Otherwise the ECU is trying to correct to the AFR table loaded on the map.

Stock injector on a 170 4 valve, 107 seems low.

·
Registered
108 Posts
You will run out of fuel really quick on a stock injector. The stock injector was basically maxed out on my high compression 125 setup. Running a stock injector you will ruin your motor, do not ride above 5k rpm until you get a Forza 300 injector or at a minimum the PCX 150 injector.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update guys i do have a 150 injector so imma try and do all yhe things you guys mentioned and see how it goes ty all very much.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Update guys i do have a 150 injector so imma try and do all yhe things you guys mentioned and see how it goes ty all very much.
Also, the bike won't run properly until you've had some miles to auto tune.

Get your idle up and fuel base set and then auto tune. Don't run it really hard for more than a few minutes like wide open or up a hill for miles on end.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What happened with the bike?

Get it sorted?
Sorry brotha didnt have to to do the changes yet its bin raining alot the pass few days hopfully tomorrow i can get to it i will update everyone once i do.

Again thank you all for the help this is my first forums group that helped out alot i really appreciate you guys. Mahaloz.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay i know its bin awhile but the bike now idles and runs i have everything set to how you kind folks told me to set it and with the 150 injector my fuel map is at 85 but now when i throttle up the bike boggs and when i come to a stop the bike dies out then i have to wait about 15-20 min just to start it back up idk what else to do now im lost lol

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,420 Posts
After setting the base fuel, did you turn on the autotune?

·
Registered
819 Posts
If you aren't overheating then the tuning baselines need to be dialed.

TPS reset has been completed at a good idle speed?

Idle air screw at a baseline two turns out from lightly seated in?

If those are good then I'd jump your fuel base up by 5 points at a time to see if it pulls through the top. If by going up you aren't feeling any tip end pull improvement then work down from the 85 you are at now.

You're positive you have the 150 injector?

A PCX150 makes around 14 hp. You may need to be up over 100 on the fuel base.

·
Registered
100 Posts
For a 125cc the 150pcx is more enough. I have more or less the same setup and started the Fuel base at 75%. Check your afr while idling before autotune kicks in (60 degrees Celsius), it should be around 13.3. If it’s lower (rich), lower the percentage. After that let autotune do its magic for a while.
You can also take a look at your spark plug, where rich will be dark and oily and lean will be white and dry.

·
Registered
819 Posts
For a 125cc the 150pcx is more enough. I have more or less the same setup and started the Fuel base at 75%. Check your afr while idling before autotune kicks in (60 degrees Celsius), it should be around 13.3. If it’s lower (rich), lower the percentage. After that let autotune do its magic for a while.
You can also take a look at your spark plug, where rich will be dark and oily and lean will be white and dry.
He's running Koso 170 4v.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts