Honda Grom banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thoroughly confused. I did search the threads searched and watched videos,and read instructions. I also talked to steady garage tech support, but I need to call them back to clarify how to best use auto tune.

I set the baseline fueling.

Activated auto tune and rode it as it filled the grid.

Before turning off the key, I selected auto tune off, was prompted to save, which I did.

My understanding is that saving the autotune allows it to build upon the work already done if activated next ride.

Next ride, I turn auto tune back on and repeat the process until the performance is as good as it seems to get.

QUESTION:

The instructions seem to indicate a different procedure? Instructions say to keep auto tune on, key off, then 10 seconds later key on, save auto tune and turn it off. What is the correct procedure?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Received a reply from steady garage, but it does not really answer my question:

Thanks for your email. As long the APP prompts you to save the autotune, then you're good. To keep things simple, follow the instructions from the manual.

Once the autotune map is saved, you won't be able to view it, but that map is the foundation that the ECU is running on. As long as you're running that SAVED MAP FILE (you could name the save map file), then it's running it. You could see it on your APP on which file you're running with the ECU. To verify that the autotune MAP is running, you could monitor the AFR during riding with the autotune off. If you see the AFR is very close to the targeted AFR, then you're running the correct MAP.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

-Steady Garage

My question remains:

The instructions do not tell you to save the autotune, and close the autotune with the bike running.

The instructions never tell you to save the auto tune at all, it says to keep it on, key off, wait 10 seconds, key on, then turn off auto tune.

At no point does the instructions say to save the autotune.

What is the correct procedure?

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
I followed the Aracer instructions but after I turned off auto-tune I also turned ON CL "close loop", grom runs like a bat out of hell.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I followed the Aracer instructions but after I turned off auto-tune I also turned ON CL "close loop", grom runs like a bat out of hell.

Thanks for the reply!

Did you make any adjustments in close loop to tweak the AFR at particular settings?

My auto tune grid never really fills out because I run at WOT when not sitting still. Who runs partial throttle on a Grom? :)

This video from Hard Racing is also confusing to me because it talks about saving the auto tune map in a different way from the instructions.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Rule of thumb, Save your map manually before turning off your bike. Turn it back on and Load it manually. Next time you ride, Its already loaded and ready to go auto tuning again. This is a fail proof way to know your map is saved and loaded. Follow this, and you will be good to go! Also note, Auto tune til your graph is all green then turn off autotune and turn on closed loop. Save. Turn bike off, Back on and LOAD that map. Now every time your bike runs if running off your last auto tuned map but it now will adjust quickly to current situations like air temp, etc. Do not run autotune all the time. Its not needed. If you need any help with aracer, slide into my DMs. Ive been using these ecus for 3 years now from the Mini plus 2, Mini 5, RC1 and the RC2.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rule of thumb, Save your map manually before turning off your bike. Turn it back on and Load it manually. Next time you ride, Its already loaded and ready to go auto tuning again. This is a fail proof way to know your map is saved and loaded. Follow this, and you will be good to go! Also note, Auto tune til your graph is all green then turn off autotune and turn on closed loop. Save. Turn bike off, Back on and LOAD that map. Now every time your bike runs if running off your last auto tuned map but it now will adjust quickly to current situations like air temp, etc. Do not run autotune all the time. Its not needed. If you need any help with aracer, slide into my DMs. Ive been using these ecus for 3 years now from the Mini plus 2, Mini 5, RC1 and the RC2.

Outstanding advice!

I will do exactly as you explained. Makes sense now.

Thanks very much!

·
Registered
989 Posts
Wicked_VFR, you ought to do a write up with dummies in mind (me included). aRacer products are so hard to understand for the green user!

·
Registered
151 Posts
If there is demand, I can do a write up for the forums. That is no biggue.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
I demand/recommend that Wicked_VFR write a how to on the Aracer map savings,

if a Hawaiian like me write a how to on the Aracer it would be like too much Pidgin

·
Registered
151 Posts
Ive been told thats not how you do it but in 3 years, ive had zero issues while others did it differently and had issues haha so take what i say lightly.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Are they supposed to come out with a knock sensor soon? I might switch to Aracer if you guys see a big improvement.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Received a reply from steady garage, but it does not really answer my question:

Thanks for your email. As long the APP prompts you to save the autotune, then you're good. To keep things simple, follow the instructions from the manual.

Once the autotune map is saved, you won't be able to view it, but that map is the foundation that the ECU is running on. As long as you're running that SAVED MAP FILE (you could name the save map file), then it's running it. You could see it on your APP on which file you're running with the ECU. To verify that the autotune MAP is running, you could monitor the AFR during riding with the autotune off. If you see the AFR is very close to the targeted AFR, then you're running the correct MAP.

Thank you,

-Steady Garage

My question remains:

The instructions do not tell you to save the autotune, and close the autotune with the bike running.

The instructions never tell you to save the auto tune at all, it says to keep it on, key off, wait 10 seconds, key on, then turn off auto tune.

At no point does the instructions say to save the autotune.

What is the correct procedure?

Steady Garage responded to my follow up question about the instructions:

Both will work. We are used to the older method of saving it (using the save button function by turning off AT), but even if you don't use the save button, once you turn off the key, it would automatically save the autotune map onto the ECU. It's a fail safe for the ECU, therefore when you start it up next time, the ECU is running the AT map from previous run.

Thank you,

-Steady Garage

1 - 14 of 14 Posts