Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, any of you guys ever use that spray on plasti-dip stuff on motorcycle parts?

I was thinking of trying it on my rims and maybe a couple of other parts to break up the black and add some color. Even thought about spraying all of the body panels something different if it will truly peel off later without damaging the parts.

So, any experience with this stuff?

TIA

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
You can spray it on just about anything, as scary as it sounds you just spray in light coats until it builds a good film, let it sit and dry and it literally just peels right off

my advice is to buy a can and spray some random things to get a hang of it, I started on a 2 liter to see what kind of coat I needed and I sprayed the side inlets on my car a year ago, they still look perfect and has held on even after using a pressure washer to clean my car

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So is it durable enough to spray my rims and THEN have new tires put on or would you recommend installing tires first?

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After the tires are mounted, just card or tape the wheel off and spray, the overspray rubs right off with a rag.. If it isn't thick enough you can scrub it off by hand
http://dipyourcar.com/
Some really awesome kits that make it much easier, and much better looking to play with Plasti-dip.
Thank you gentlemen.

Sent from my DROIDX using HondaGrom.net mobile app

·
Registered
530 Posts
I know someone who did an entire Mustang and it seems on there pretty good.

I plan on doing the passenger pegs and the silver bracket thing on the grom headlight the day I get it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Plasti Dip works great, I sell it where I work. my only other advice to what was stated above would be to heat the cans before using. the product is basically spray rubber and will spray nicer through the can after warmed a bit. Use a small space heater or something to warm.

(PS im not liable if you blow up a can and kill yourself)
(also dont use a microwave, not one of my brightest ideas ever)

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Plasti Dip works great, I sell it where I work. my only other advice to what was stated above would be to heat the cans before using. the product is basically spray rubber and will spray nicer through the can after warmed a bit. Use a small space heater or something to warm.

I heat up all spray paint cans. Have done so for years. I pull water in a plastic bowl and heat the water in the microwave for about two minutes. Then I put the can in the water. Has worked well for me.

Sent from my DROIDX using HondaGrom.net mobile app

·
Registered
42 Posts

I plan on doing the passenger pegs and the silver bracket thing on the grom headlight the day I get it.
I have done the pegs b4 and it started peeling off after one ride lol so i pulled it all back off . it looked great but didnt last ! i do plan on doing the headlight bracket .

·
Registered
942 Posts

I doubt it'll hold up against a lot of rubbing. Those items would have to be powder coated.

·
Registered
942 Posts

U seriously put a can of plasitdip in the microwave!!!! Lol

·
Registered
942 Posts
I did my crewcab gmc Sierra. Mainly to protect the black paint before it started to fade. Cause I know how much u need to take care of black, an I didn't hardly ever wax. But yea, its good stuff, for things that don't flex or rub against stuff. Need about 3-4 good thick coats. First coat real light so the thinner that's mixed in doesn't have a chance to mess with the original paint. I used gallons for my truck, an a house paint sprayer. Cause it is really thick, my sprayer has a 2mm nozzle. An its a earlex 3500 hvlp. Jus a FYI. But rattle cans should be good enough for the size of panels te grom has. Jus dont spray directly above cause the rattle cans have a tendency to spit.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I did my crewcab gmc Sierra. Mainly to protect the black paint before it started to fade. Cause I know how much u need to take care of black, an I didn't hardly ever wax. But yea, its good stuff, for things that don't flex or rub against stuff. Need about 3-4 good thick coats. First coat real light so the thinner that's mixed in doesn't have a chance to mess with the original paint. I used gallons for my truck, an a house paint sprayer. Cause it is really thick, my sprayer has a 2mm nozzle. An its a earlex 3500 hvlp. Jus a FYI. But rattle cans should be good enough for the size of panels te grom has. Jus dont spray directly above cause the rattle cans have a tendency to spit.
Did you remove the bed when you did it? I am thinking I want to spray my truck matte black. For $400 with the sprayer and respirator and tape is a good deal. Just wondering how much of a pain in the ass removing the bed without a lift is going to be.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Did you remove the bed when you did it? I am thinking I want to spray my truck matte black. For $400 with the sprayer and respirator and tape is a good deal. Just wondering how much of a pain in the ass removing the bed without a lift is going to be.
Why would u remove the bed? I think u should watch some of the dipyourcar.com videos. The whole craze about plastidip is that it peels off easily with a good amount of coats. What are u trinna spray? The frame?

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
My truck is red and I want to spray it matte black. There is a gap between the bed and cab and I don't want it to look ghetto with red showing through.

·
Registered
942 Posts
My truck is red and I want to spray it matte black. There is a gap between the bed and cab and I don't want it to look ghetto with red showing through.
Good point, lol... never really noticed mine cause my stock is black. Damn then u gonna have to do all the jams an engine bay too!!!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts