Honda Grom banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since gas is getting a little higher around here and I normally use Chevron gas or Union 76 gas and friends tell me that Costco gas is cheaper esp in Calif, I was wonder how good a gas is it compared to Union 76 or Chevron.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I use it in everything and haven't had a problem. It's "top tier" gas. I can usually get premium for almost the price of regular. Currently regular is 2.30 and premium is 2.79 at Costco by me.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I've used our local Thrifty (ARCO) station for decades. Currently $3.99 a gallon which is relatively cheap for Los Angeles. Riding a 145 mpg Grom makes me immune to high gas prices. :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've used our local Thrifty (ARCO) station for decades. Currently $3.99 a gallon which is relatively cheap for Los Angeles. Riding a 145 mpg Grom makes me immune to high gas prices. :)
Dang, 145 mpg is off the charts! I only get 110 mpg, maybe 112 but no more.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I use WaWa cause they sell rec fuel down here. Its a little more but when you're buying a dollar or two at a time it doesn't really bother me. When i fueled up Friday before my track night it was $2.33 for regular and $2.84 for rec.

But I was also thinking, these bikes were designed to run over in the Asian market where I'm guessing fuel isn't the same quality as we have here. I'm sure any gas at any reputable gas station will be plenty good enough for a grom, barring they don't have water in their tanks,

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Costco is plenty good gas.

As long as your build doesnt require premium you are fine.

Now ... for builds that require premium (realistically you can only get away with it on a stock grom) you have to be away of the fact that we have TINY 1 gallon tanks. If you need higher octane fuels to avoid detonation with a high compression build... filling up at ANY single handle pump is likely going to net you less than premium. The hoses will hold anywhere from half a gallon up to 2 gallons depending on how long the hose is... you can pretty much bet the person before you got regular 87 octane... so for you to start getting actual premium out of the handle you will need to clear the line.

This is pretty much why i only fill my grom out of my 5 gallon jug gas can, Ill fill it up here n there only after i have pumped 2-3 gallons into my truck, then I know im getting pure premium... not shit mixed with 87.

·
Registered
705 Posts

Now ... for builds that require premium (realistically you can only get away with it on a stock grom) you have to be away of the fact that we have TINY 1 gallon tanks. If you need higher octane fuels to avoid detonation with a high compression build... filling up at ANY single handle pump is likely going to net you less than premium. The hoses will hold anywhere from half a gallon up to 2 gallons depending on how long the hose is... you can pretty much bet the person before you got regular 87 octane... so for you to start getting actual premium out of the handle you will need to clear the line.

This is pretty much why i only fill my grom out of my 5 gallon jug gas can, Ill fill it up here n there only after i have pumped 2-3 gallons into my truck, then I know im getting pure premium... not shit mixed with 87.
Wow I never even thought about that...shit

·
Registered
286 Posts
I check which pump was last used for premium gas and that's the one I use.

·
Registered
51 Posts

That's the other perk of using Rec fuel. They always have a dedicated hose

·
Registered
277 Posts

That's a really good point..... The hoses at the Costco by me are extra long too so you can pull up to whatever pump regardless of which side your gas cap is on.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I check which pump was last used for premium gas and that's the one I use.
From what i can tell most single handle pumps in my area dont actually show which fuel was used last... you would have to do the math (gallons dispensed vs full price) to figure that out, unless you have another trick!

That's the other perk of using Rec fuel. They always have a dedicated hose
I cant remember the last time i saw a dedicated hosed pump here in socal.

That's a really good point..... The hoses at the Costco by me are extra long too so you can pull up to whatever pump regardless of which side your gas cap is on.
Yup, the hoses at costco are INSANELY long... 3-4x as long as some other gas stations!

·
Registered
883 Posts
Dang, 145 mpg is off the charts! I only get 110 mpg, maybe 112 but no more.
It's not really all that remarkable, Leo. :) Honda certifies 134 mpg for a factory stock Grom and I'm only getting a little more than that. I specifically modified mine for gas mileage rather than performance and just ride it normally as a transportation vehicle. It's set up to short shift and still keep up with traffic without needing to pin the throttle. :)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Over here it has the last sale still on the pump. So if 87 is 4.00 89 is 4.10 and 91 is 4.20, I look for the pump that says 4.20
From what i can tell most single handle pumps in my area dont actually show which fuel was used last... you would have to do the math (gallons dispensed vs full price) to figure that out, unless you have another trick!

I cant remember the last time i saw a dedicated hosed pump here in socal.

Yup, the hoses at costco are INSANELY long... 3-4x as long as some other gas stations!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I check for Top-Tier compliance, if it meets that standard, it's good enough for all of my vehicles.

The only stations I have come across that are NOT Top-Tier are
Sam's Club (Walmart's warehouse-club answer to Costco)
BJ's, which is another regional warehouse club.
Safeway
Giant Eagle
Rotten Robbie

Because of marketing non-sense (the greatest of which is calling 91 Octane fuel "Premium"), it can be very difficult to determine what difference there really is between brands and locations.

One of the other confounders is that independently-operated stations are more likely to neglect their equipment, which in extreme cases can lead to contamination of the fuel, usually with water or sediment. In most places the facilities are inspected and audited regularly by local government to avoid these issues, but the rigor and frequency of those inspections varies by location.

NBC News: Watered Down Gas is Way More Common Than You Think

1 - 14 of 14 Posts