Honda Grom banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set of sato rear sets and the swing arm bolt is too short for my grom. The bolt heads don't fit in the holes on the rear set. The bolt itself fits but the head itself does not making it too short to use the sato rear sets. Anyone else have this problem? How did you get around it?

·
Banned
714 Posts
You're definitely doing something wrong. Sato are among the best quality parts available, period.

Post a pic of what you're talking about?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're definitely doing something wrong. Sato are among the best quality parts available, period.

Post a pic of what you're talking about?
I've installed sato's and other rear sets before. I know they are being installed correctly. The bolt head and the nut just don't fit in the holes on the rear sets period. Just trying to see if someone else has run into this.

·
Banned
714 Posts
I presume you mounted the sets before you mounted the pegs and bolt caps right?

The base plate goes on first and gets tightened, then you install the caps over the swingarm bolt, then you install the pegs.

If you put them together then tried to fit them to the bike it's not going to work

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't put them together before I tried to fit them to the bike. The one thing I have different is I have the steady garage swing arm bolt that is threaded on both sides. I don't know if its shorter than stock I tried to compare but it was already on my bike and it was hard to measure. The head of the stock bolt(the part the socket go on to) is definitely still too big to fit in the hole on the base plate. The bolt fits just not the head. I ordered a new stock swing arm bolt but am wondering how people got around this.

·
Banned
714 Posts
The Sato rearsets have different sized holes on each side

The side that takes the bolt is different than the side that takes the nut

And yes. So far as I know the steady bolt is shorter.

·
Banned
714 Posts
Yes. The peg bolt goes through it. They're held in place with an m5 socket head cap screw.

Those go on after you've installed the brackets.

The bolt isn't designed to go through those.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Just a heads-up, the rear axle bolt is the same as the swing arm bolt. I've got the Driven TT rear sets and the Chimera Race Bolt (320mm?) fits fine. However, I had to use a lower profile socket to tighten the nuts.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I have Sato rearsets on my 2017. Everything fit fine with the stock swingarm bolt.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I didn't put them together before I tried to fit them to the bike. The one thing I have different is I have the steady garage swing arm bolt that is threaded on both sides. I don't know if its shorter than stock I tried to compare but it was already on my bike and it was hard to measure. The head of the stock bolt(the part the socket go on to) is definitely still too big to fit in the hole on the base plate. The bolt fits just not the head. I ordered a new stock swing arm bolt but am wondering how people got around this.
Sorry can't help you with the Sato setup, but...

Chimera race bolt 320mm (short) is longer than the stock bolt, almost 10mm longer.

Stock bolt
I9ahyelpQyGEcDt6s+Pmlw.jpg

Race bolt
IMG_0489.JPG IMG_0490.JPG

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry can't help you with the Sato setup, but...

Chimera race bolt 320mm (short) is longer than the stock bolt, almost 10mm longer.

Stock bolt
View attachment 80052

Race bolt
View attachment 80054 View attachment 80056
Thanks for the info. Did you have room to safety wire the Chimera bolt on both sides after installing your rearsets? I tried on one side last night and it didn't seem to have enough room to safety wire but i didn't put on both rearsets.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Installed these Sato rear sets in February 2020.

Really like them, but way expensive for what you get, in terms of limited adjustments for ergonomics, being cast instead of billet, etc.

Mine developed a crack in the bracket that holds the rear master and links to the exhaust mounting plate. I suspect the vibrations from the exhaust caused it to fail.

Sent an email with pictures to Sato to see if they will cover the failure under warranty.

·
Super Moderator
872 Posts
Boo! Sato stuff is usually good. But they are charging too much for their Grom product.

Reactions: Pard

·
Registered
310 Posts
SATO is sending me a replacement bracket and said this is a first for them that a crack developed right where it did.

Good company and stand behind their product!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts