Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking to see who has this setup and is it really necessary to have an oil cooler. I'm looking to put a Koso cam and Flat top piston and keep the stock redline until I can get a ported head with stiffer valve springs. Let's just stay on this topic and I'm not looking for responses on how about this and how about that blah, blah, blah. If you have the setup comment and if not don't comment. Thanks

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I dont have it, but lets just some looking at others setups.

We have people with stock compression stock cc motors that find the need for oil coolers to keep them properly cool (kitaco side cover = $200, big ebay oil cooler = $45ish).

You bump the compression from 9.2:1 to 10+:1 you inherently generate more heat (its simple fluid dynamics / physics).

You have to take the head, cylinder off the motor to swap out just a piston.... save up and do it all at once with the upgraded head.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I was just running the finbro dome stock bore piston and small finbro cam all in a ported head. bike wasn't done before moving on to a bbk but ran 82 and stayed at 199 on the temp side after making 2 and 3 mile hard pulls it would creep up to 225ish at long lights trying to get moving again. as far as high compression the dome piston and finbro cam only made 185psi after decking it .022'' and that was done while hot. 185psi is far from high compression and can be run with any pump gas. my question back to you is do you have a tuner?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont have it, but lets just some looking at others setups.

We have people with stock compression stock cc motors that find the need for oil coolers to keep them properly cool (kitaco side cover = $200, big ebay oil cooler = $45ish).

You bump the compression from 9.2:1 to 10+:1 you inherently generate more heat (its simple fluid dynamics / physics).

You have to take the head, cylinder off the motor to swap out just a piston.... save up and do it all at once with the upgraded head.
Thanks for the input but I think I'm just going to run a cam for now and one I get back from the Smokey mountain crawl I'll gather everything I need.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was just running the finbro dome stock bore piston and small finbro cam all in a ported head. bike wasn't done before moving on to a bbk but ran 82 and stayed at 199 on the temp side after making 2 and 3 mile hard pulls it would creep up to 225ish at long lights trying to get moving again. as far as high compression the dome piston and finbro cam only made 185psi after decking it .022'' and that was done while hot. 185psi is far from high compression and can be run with any pump gas. my question back to you is do you have a tuner?
Yes sir I waiting on my Hoedar ECU to come in. I ordered it from My boy at Makoascooters.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I'm currently running a Finbro flat top piston and super thin base gasket which bumps me up to around 11:1 static compression, DCR cam and still with no oil cooler. I'm only using an EFIE to offset the O2 voltage for fuel correction.

I don't see the need for an oil cooler with stock bore because I was running a 143cc Takegawa BBK, which is over 11:1 compression, with no oil cooler and never had an issue while beating the shit out of it. And when I say I was beating the shit out of the bike I mean I was racing it on 100+ degree days for 6 hours straight with the 143 kit. Obviously the 143 kit is going to generate a lot more heat than the stock 125. If I wasn't having problems with heat with the 143 and 11.2:1 compression, I can't imagine I would have trouble with 125cc at 11:1.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wasn't running an oil cooler youd be fine
I'm currently running a Finbro flat top piston and super thin base gasket which bumps me up to around 11:1 static compression, DCR cam and still with no oil cooler. I'm only using an EFIE to offset the O2 voltage for fuel correction.

I don't see the need for an oil cooler with stock bore because I was running a 143cc Takegawa BBK, which is over 11:1 compression, with no oil cooler and never had an issue while beating the shit out of it. And when I say I was beating the shit out of the bike I mean I was racing it on 100+ degree days for 6 hours straight with the 143 kit. Obviously the 143 kit is going to generate a lot more heat than the stock 125. If I wasn't having problems with heat with the 143 and 11.2:1 compression, I can't imagine I would have trouble with 125cc at 11:1.
Thanks guys, that's pretty much the info I was looking for

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

How does the bike feel compared to before you have the flat top and cam? Noticeable feel?

·
Registered
508 Posts
How does the bike feel compared to before you have the flat top and cam? Noticeable feel?
The cam alone makes a HUGE difference, the flat-top piston will get you some torque back on the bottom end.

It's a shame the flat-top piston isn't higher compression than 10.5:1 right out of the box because it's not very aggressive IMO. But at the same time, the 12:1 dome piston is a bit too much of a jump with a stock untouched head. With all sharp edges in the chamber's head I worry about detonation with compression upwards of 12:1. I'm really interested to see how much compression I can squeeze out of the little nugget of a 125 and stock head before you run into issues.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
The cam alone makes a HUGE difference, the flat-top piston will get you some torque back on the bottom end.

It's a shame the flat-top piston isn't higher compression than 10.5:1 right out of the box because it's not very aggressive IMO. But at the same time, the 12:1 dome piston is a bit too much of a jump with a stock untouched head. With all sharp edges in the chamber's head I worry about detonation with compression upwards of 12:1. I'm really interested to see how much compression I can squeeze out of the little nugget of a 125 and stock head before you run into issues.
Kitaco's flat top is 11.something? Or maybe it surpassed 12:1.
If i had to choose between the two (kitaco and finbro), id def go with the kitaco, even if they were the same CR. Kitaco quality > finbro whatever hes got.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's a shame the flat-top piston isn't higher compression than 10.5:1 right out of the box because it's not very aggressive IMO. But at the same time, the 12:1 dome piston is a bit too much of a jump with a stock untouched head. With all sharp edges in the chamber's head I worry about detonation with compression upwards of 12:1. I'm really interested to see how much compression I can squeeze out of the little nugget of a 125 and stock head before you run into issues.[/QUOTE]

Great! I get enough speed the way it is now, just looking to fine tune it and maybe squeeze a few more mph. I have 15/36 setup and I weigh 165lbs and the bike bounces of the rev limiter @73mphon the tac =70mph actual speed. So now I'm going down a tooth to 35t to get a little more mph. Thanks for the input bro

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kitaco's flat top is 11.something? Or maybe it surpassed 12:1.
If i had to choose between the two (kitaco and finbro), id def go with the kitaco, even if they were the same CR. Kitaco quality > finbro whatever hes got.[/QUOTE]

But do they still sell that piston that's the question.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
I had a .015 head shave (180psi cold cranking with a DCR R1) and never had issues with heat. I ran it a handful of time over 9k rpm through a whole take of fuel (70ish miles) and after the tchain tensioner killed the engine and I tore it apart, the piston showed no signs of getting too hot

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had a .015 head shave (180psi cold cranking with a DCR R1) and never had issues with heat. I ran it a handful of time over 9k rpm through a whole take of fuel (70ish miles) and after the tchain tensioner killed the engine and I tore it apart, the piston showed no signs of getting too hot
That's another question, should I get a chain tensioner? My bike has over 5k on it already

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
If you're generating a ton of power then absolutely yes. I also feel like if you're going to be turning a lot of rpms it would be good to upgrade. Mine seized on a gutless 130cc setup but I would revit off the gauge in 4th gear for a minute or two straight and hold high rpms for extended periods.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you're generating a ton of power then absolutely yes. I also feel like if you're going to be turning a lot of rpms it would be good to upgrade. My seized on a gutless 130cc setup but I would revit off the gauge in 4th gear for a minute or two straight and hold high rpms for extended periods.
OH I see but I'm going to stick with the stock rev limiter for now

·
Registered
99 Posts
I imagine engine temps will be fine, I would only start to worry after a can and running higher rpms

Anyone know what kind of gains to expect from a stock motor with only a flat top piston?

·
Registered
287 Posts
If you're generating a ton of power then absolutely yes. I also feel like if you're going to be turning a lot of rpms it would be good to upgrade. Mine seized on a gutless 130cc setup but I would revit off the gauge in 4th gear for a minute or two straight and hold high rpms for extended periods.
I know this was awhile back but do you remember how many miles you had when the tensioner failed?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts