Honda Grom banner

anyone mount a USB charger on their Grom yet?

34K views 52 replies 30 participants last post by  WV_Grom 
#1 ·
after riding over the weekend it would of been nice to use the GPS on my phone to monitor my speed.. travel.. etc.. but i knew if i did it would eat the battery quick.. so i was looking into adding a waterproof usb port or something so I can then get a Ram mount for my phone to go on the handlebars and have it hooked up to the USB.. any ideas? anyone done it yet?

:)

#3 ·
They sell universal USB ports to be wired to a standard electrical system for about $20, then it's just a matter of drilling a hole. I'm going to do the same thing, and probably put the hole up front somewhere where it looks OEM. My shop sells these phone mounts, so I have one on the way to mount on my handlebars.

#4 ·
Electronics Cyclocomputer Technology Bicycle handlebar Electronic device

Connected it straight to the battery. Might put a switch but hasn't been necessary as of yet.
Vehicle Motorcycle accessories Auto part Car Motorcycle

It's nice to have google maps or a weather radar app pulled up all the time. Plus, when you arrive, your battery's charged.
Auto part Engine Vehicle Car

I figured it would be best to have a cigarette lighter socket so just about anything could be charged.
Chair Office chair Auto part Armrest Car seat

Left slack in the so the seat could be closed if the plug for whatever needed to be charged wouldn't fit in the tool kit box. I got the waterproof socket at Walmart in the fishing section. It was eight bucks I think. The wiring was from a set of Batterytender clamps which have a fuse ready.

#13 ·
#17 ·
#15 · (Edited)
I have one, it has 2 ports, was debating on whether to got with the cig socket or usb, an I figured I don't have any plugs that go into cig socket an I would have to plug a usb port into the cig socket so I went with the dual usb. Got it off ebay. Pricy tho cause I couldn't really find much online. I think I paid about 80 for 2ea 2 port usb. Came with a handlebar mount. Or u can find a place to drill like a 1in hole u can jus screw it on. Half of the handlebar mount was an L bracket so I simply jus loosened the battery hold down bracket an slipped it under there. Check my build thread for pics.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

#16 ·
Not a Fan of USB, or Batter Tenders... they look clean but not practical in my world.
I am a huge fan of 12v POWER SOCKET Adapters!!!
You can use a OG GPS, Cellphone cables with em.
BUT the bonus is SOLAR PANEL Chargers can be plugged into em when your GROM is not in use. (East Coast Winter Peeps)

SOLAR rocks!!! Got a stable of 10 scoots soooooo can't ride em all.
Hence the Solar Trickle Chargers keep my stable nice and Charge!!! Especially my Scoots with no kick starts!
My rides are stored in a Shed so again Solar is KING! Got the Panels on the Roof of the shed.
Oya make sure to put an inline Fuse in it to be safe.

MY FAVORITE 12v POWER SOCKET Adapter can be found at PEPBOYS.

Bell Automotive Products All Weather 12V Power Socket/ | Product Details | Pep Boys

They look clean, they keep out the elements if/when raining and/or not in use.

Just Word of WARNING!!!
If/When you buy one... OPEN IT UP RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE CASHIER WHEN YOU BUY IT!!!
(Look at Link) that Spring setup & the Plastic tabs CAN/Will sometimes Break if assembled wrong (Kid in China don't give one ounce of F#cks)
I have bought these a couple times, came hope and SNAP when using it for the 1st time. Never had a problem returning it on the same day.
But to save yourself a trip, do it there... right on the spot in case it does break.

-Honest™

#24 ·
Here's what I use:

I've had iPhone 5 and Note 2, S4 and everything in between, and currently back to using Note 2. Everything ALWAYS has an Otterbox Defender case. Pick up an extra Holster/Clip and zip tie the back to where you want it. Then, you can just pop your phone in and go. I carry several different style backpacks /messengers around the city based on how I'm traveling for the day. I have an extra clip attached to each bag so I can snap the phone on and go. NEVER has it fallen off. Having the Note 2 in an Otterbox is the true definition of a phablet -- wayyy to big to pocket it without my pants saggin'.

Also have the clip mounted in the car to an OEM Garmin mount -- again, pop the phone in and GO! No need to fiddle with the clip. For me it's been well worth the small investment to have multiple clips.

#31 ·
Ok now I remember why I went topeak over the other. Even though topeak was $20 more , I can get multiple handlebar mounts for under $10 a piece. I have 3 minis and a bicycle and boat that I use often The other mount I would have to take off and apply to what ever toy I was gonna use and that would be a pain and not convenient.

#36 ·
#35 · (Edited)
ahh since someone bumped this thread.. what i ended up doing was i got an extra otterbox holster/clip from ebay.. removed the clip from the back and then drilled 4 small holes that lined up with the handlebar.. using black zip ties i mounted it right above the handlebar clamp.. it has been there for awhile now and never had any problem with my iphone coming out.. easy in and out when im ready to ride.. again thanks to yallknowme for the idea.. :in love:

Vehicle Auto part Car Engine Wheel

as u can see in the pic.. just below the speedo on the left.. is a cig lighter socket.. which i use a small usb charger in there.. its waterproof with the cap.. im thinking of getting one of modding it though cause the small usb charger sometimes vibrates out just enough that its not making connection.. and of course i dont see it until my phone displays low battery.. either that or i might just switch it out for a usb one that goes to my battery tender

#49 ·
ahh since someone bumped this thread.. what i ended up doing was i got an extra otterbox holster/clip from ebay.. removed the clip from the back and then drilled 4 small holes that lined up with the handlebar.. using black zip ties i mounted it right above the handlebar clamp.. it has been there for awhile now and never had any problem with my iphone coming out.. easy in and out when im ready to ride.. again thanks to yallknowme for the idea.. :in love:

View attachment 7204

as u can see in the pic.. just below the speedo on the left.. is a cig lighter socket.. which i use a small usb charger in there.. its waterproof with the cap.. im thinking of getting one of modding it though cause the small usb charger sometimes vibrates out just enough that its not making connection.. and of course i dont see it until my phone displays low battery.. either that or i might just switch it out for a usb one that goes to my battery tender
Hi BlueRidge,

How did you get the clip off the back of the holster? Lol the things I've tried so far aren't working and I don't wanna break the holster.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.