Honda Grom banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my Monkey back in late March. I've put about 900 miles on it so far, mostly in long-ish day trips. It sits in my shed when I'm not riding it. I had a crash (different bike) back in late June, so the last time I rode the Monkey was mid-June. Anyway, now that I'm recovering, I took the Monkey out for a little ride and found the battery dead as a doornail. My guess is that the little SAE to USB adapter used enough vampire current to kill the battery. It read 3v on my Fluke. I tried charging it a few times but I still can't get it to take a charge.

Long story short, since the bike is still under warranty, I figure I'd be due a replacement for the battery, though I'd rather not schlep my bike back and forth to the dealership, especially if they're going to say it's my fault. I'd probably just assume to buy a new (better?) battery and be done with it. Suggestions?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've done lithium on my other bikes, but they have much bigger batteries. Savings here would be about 2 pounds.

Storing lithium in a hot shed is also a recipe for failure.

I'm considering just getting a cheapie. Does the Grom use the same battery? There are few Monkey specific batteries.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Still running my original battery in my '13 Grom! It's on tender at all times when I'm not riding it... it works.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I feel like you'd have a difficult if not impossible time convincing them to replace a battery under warranty. I believe they are considered wear items like tires or brakes and generally aren't covered unless they are defective.

I have had great success with BikeMaster Trugels, way less than OEM - I think this might be the one for the Monkey but you would want to check their site to be sure:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041CADO6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's interesting. Most batteries last far, far longer than the warranty period unless they are defective. I took the stocker out to measure.

4 1/2" long
2 3/4" wide
3 1/4" tall

Looks like that Bikemaster is just a touch too big to fit. The offerings from Cycle Gear are all pretty pricey - nothing in the $30 range.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The new battery saves nearly 2 1/2 pounds. It fits in the stock battery box without mods, though the little charge indicator button is mostly obscured by the battery hold down bracket. We'll see how long it lasts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts