Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's me again...... Bike down again....... anyone ever seen this?
20200913_201933.jpg

20200913_202013.jpg

I'll get better pictures tomorrow, any ideas on what happened? Sensor is undamaged, there was no impact. AF1 has been installed in bung for way less than 50 miles. Probably closer to 30.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Wow, you’re just batting home runs this summer!

Maybe that area was weakened from welding the bung on? I wonder if the sensor being installed kind of changed the way things were vibrating. The harmonics or frequency. I just can’t imagine that being enough to cause it to break in less than 50 miles. I don’t know. I’m just throwing stuff out there. That’s crazy.

My old Toyota truck was notorious for cracking exhaust pipes.

There must have been some serious weakness there. It appears to be cracked nearly in half too.

Reactions: Ninelives17

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Yo @Ninelives17 you're grom is burning through its nine lives at an alarming rate man. Are you absolutely sure you didn't piss someone off who deals in the dark arts? All joking aside man I hope your luck improves because holy crap.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I was seriously considering ordering a Hindle pipe this week. I like that it already has the bung welded on. The flow is probably the best too.

Between seeing Ninelives17’s Hindle and David’s ticking Kitaco Neo kit, I’m rethinking my future mods. At least somewhat.

Maybe I will just get my throttle body taper bored and do some mild head porting.

Reactions: Phoenix

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hindle has a one year warranty, I've sent an email to CJR to see if he can help me get it covered since I bought it from him. I'm really tempted to just go ahead and buy one to avoid anymore downtime. Kinda worried it could happen again but at least unlike the koso, it didn't take out half the engine with it. I don't believe anything else makes as much power as the hindle?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Ninelives (or is it Fivelives now) I had an issue with my Hindle. When I went to install the O2 sensor, the bung was clocked in the wrong position. This allowed the sensor to hit the frame. An email to Hindle with some pics of the issue and they sent me a new header pipe. It only takes being off a few degrees for the sensor to be an unhappy camper.

Better invest in a rabbits foot!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Hindle has a one year warranty, I've sent an email to CJR to see if he can help me get it covered since I bought it from him. I'm really tempted to just go ahead and buy one to avoid anymore downtime. Kinda worried it could happen again but at least unlike the koso, it didn't take out half the engine with it. I don't believe anything else makes as much power as the hindle?
I noticed CJR has a great deal on the Hindle pipes. Yeah, at least swapping out a pipe it quick and easy. You’ve been through enough.

I think Kenny at Grom Fatherz has a header pipe that makes more power. I’m not sure how much more. It utilizes the Hindle muffler. I’m sure it’s not cheap.
Ninelives (or is it Fivelives now) I had an issue with my Hindle. When I went to install the O2 sensor, the bung was clocked in the wrong position. This allowed the sensor to hit the frame. An email to Hindle with some pics of the issue and they sent me a new header pipe. It only takes being off a few degrees for the sensor to be an unhappy camper.

Better invest in a rabbits foot!
Yes! Rabbit’s foot keychain!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
20200915_103916.jpg
20200915_103854.jpg
20200915_103812.jpg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Did anything else break off when the tensioner sheared? Part of a valve shoot through the exhaust and shrapnel it? Also yours looks blued a good ways back, don't know how you were tuned before the Aracer, but it may have gotten too hot from running lean.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It bent the exhaust valve but did not break it. I had an ecu flash from CJR, but keep in mind that hindle has about 9k miles on it. I had no issues or high temps until the koso failure.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hindle is going to replace the header! Now it is just a waiting game......

·
Registered
486 Posts
Nothing a little JB Weld can't fix.
That should buff out...

Yeah, never underestimate what a southern boy can do with a little JB Weld, baling wire, and duct tape.

I wonder if they got that area too hot when they welded the bung on? I don’t know much of anything about welding though. I’m sure there are others on this forum that have much more welding experience.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That should buff out...

Yeah, never underestimate what a southern boy can do with a little JB Weld, baling wire, and duct tape.

I wonder if they got that area too hot when they welded the bung on? I don’t know much of any thing about welding though. I’m sure there are others on this forum that have much more welding experience.
I feel like that is exactly the problem, the weld got too hot and weakened the metal around it.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Big shoutout to Hindle, CJR, and woodcraft for helping me get it warrantied.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Good to hear that they are going to replace the header. The 10,000 mile comprehensive overhaul is almost complete!

Reactions: Ninelives17

·
Registered
837 Posts
Some bad juju going around, lots of people have been breaking shit unexpectedly! knock on wood

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Some bad juju going around, lots of people have been breaking shit unexpectedly! knock on wood
Beware, 2020 has slowly infiltrated the Honda Grom Community! Now it is upsetting our motorcycles as well as our lives......:eek:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts