·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
111 Posts
No point really.. Many people have taken Z125 up to 200+cc on just a piggy back

I'd have to see piggy back vs microsquirt and the cost to performance gain for it to be worth it
This is far & away the most common misconception regarding EFI & EFI tuning. The quantitative side (i.e. hp numbers, especially peak hp) gets all the "ink" but really provides very little useful info when modding EFI. All else being equal, EFI has virtually no advantage over a carburetor when it comes to peak hp numbers of normally aspirated engines. For a road application, total performance matters most...including the 99%+ of your saddle time not spent at WOT. That's where EFI really leaves the venerable carb for dead...when it's done right. It'd also take a week-long, college-level, course to explain the details.

I expect that, in time, custom-mapped ECUs will be the norm. Considering that this is the first EFI Honda this small to be sold in the US market, it's not much of a stretch to say that there's more learning curve ahead of us than behind us. We need early adopters will be our field testers.

The OEMs make huge investments in engineering man-hours spent dyno & road testing and progressively tweaking thousands of map values to get seamless performance under every conceivable set of operating conditions. Few have any concept of the seriously hardcore tech and amount of resources involved with EFI mapping and mistakenly apply a carburetor tuning mindset. If only it were this generically simple & foolproof...

·
Registered
293 Posts
Yes I am considering doing this. I will have to research whether microsquirt is the best choice. There is room under the seat for megasquirt, and not being surface mount you can make circuit modifications easier. I don't want to weld a shitload of aftermarket sensors to my bike when the stock ones are already there, so it will be a question of compatibility.

As for the week long college course.. I had a semester long project in college working with megasquirt. I don't think it's actually as hard as it sounds. We had a lot of trouble but that's because we had a group of 4 people and 2 of those people wanted to "help" me with the circuit building and put some bits together wrong. Eventually they managed to catch the first unit on fire by improperly grounding an injector driver, and I bought a second kit with my own money, built it myself without telling them, then hooked it up and told them they weren't allowed to touch the circuitry. It worked immediately when done right.

Also it should be noted that if you are sure you are not making firmware mods to the controller, the APItech interface appears to have many of the same tuning features offered by megasquirt.

·
Registered
293 Posts
What are the benefits of this over doing an unlocked ECU from MonkeyFather or Yuminashi?
MonkeyFather told me that his is not really adjustable, and Yuminashi sells a version of the APItech one.

MonkeyFather told me "My ecm kit is for those who has no experience in tuning and see the tuning is complicated thing."

The Yuminashi/API standalone would give 90% of people enough I think, the interface looks similar to the Megasquirt one.

The MegaSquirt firmware is open source, so you can add functions on the extra inputs and outputs. I used one to make a mid-90s S10 take flex fuel as a college project, we just had to throw in code to read from a flex fuel sensor on one of the inputs. I think that's actually a standard thing in the newer versions. It also does datalogging.

It would also be directly compatible with widebands, any kind of aftermarket sensors, and any kind of injection/ignition system you wanted to use. If you wanted great throttle response you could measure injector flow and create an acceleration enrichment equation that takes into account the hysteresis in the pulsewidth vs flow for your particular injector. I would imagine you could add quickshifters, mapping and timing adjustment buttons, anything else you can think of really, especially if you use the megasquirt where you solder it yourself. I am not sure what the microsquirt has in terms of spare inputs and spare microcontroller ROM space yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts