Honda Grom banner

Another R-1100 thread

5K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Gotwake424 
#1 · (Edited)
I finally got a k&n. Upon test fitting I realized the inner diameter is bigger than the throttle body. 43mm instead of the assumed 38mm. You guys sure these things are sealing up properly? Seems like they just get shoved in there with no verification.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Here's what I did...pulled guts from airbox, except for last piece of tubing that leads out of the box. Found that a 1 " PVC coupler fit PERFECTLY over the outer diameter of the rubber tube and fit PERFECTLY inside the inner diameter of the R1100. I Pressed the couple over the rubber piece, clamped the r1100 on the other side and voila!

Auto part

Auto part Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Automotive design

Auto part Vehicle Automotive design Engine Car

I can give you more detail if you want. Also did an airbox mod where I added a few washers to open a gap in the cover to let more air in. Though it was better than drilling holes in the cover. Auto part Fuel line Engine Vehicle Carburetor

#6 · (Edited)
I wanted to ditch the airbox all together. Went an alternative route mounting mine too.
Test fit everything. Saw and marked where the sensor would be. How the old air boot piece tabs would need to be placed. Which wire bracket had to go and how wiring had to be routed.
Auto part Engine Vehicle Fuel line Automotive engine part

Drilled sensor hole to about 5/16" (8mm)
Black Light Photography Floor

Left o-ring in place and inserted (allowing for connection wire to be relaxed and not twisted)
Auto part Automotive wheel system Cylinder Wheel Gas

Applied rtv sealant instead of adding screws and more holes.
Vehicle Auto part Motor vehicle Motorcycle Engine

A lil paint on the bracket I nipped off
Some oil on the filter and popped in place
Automotive exterior Vehicle door Bumper Red Auto part

Had to make a small relief to the shroud. Just used a dremel.
Auto part Vehicle Car Automotive exhaust Exhaust system

This is how it'll look. Pretty sexy huh? lol Still waiting on a few things in the mail. The crankcase breather hose will have a uni push in type filter and be a lil shorter and mnnthbx has a shroud brace headin my way. I'll finish it all up this week. Will probably also get an outer cover to keep under the seat for when weather requires such. Anyways, there's a different twist to the popular mod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
The washers thing worked well but I think you may be onto something with the box acting as an amplifier. I may try pulling the front cover of and do a sound comparison. It definitely seemed to help the mid range power.

Sent from my XT1060 using HondaGrom.net mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.