Honda Grom banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The noise sounds kind of like a belt slipping - sort of a squeal.

The squeal gets higher pitched at higher rpms.

It happens ALL the time when riding, regardless of what gear I'm in or how long I've been riding, and whether I'm accelerating or decelerating, except perhaps for an instant when road speed exactly matches engine speed.

I can reproduce the squeal with the bike standing still:

1. pull the clutch in and shift into (say) 1st gear

2. apply the back brake just to keep from moving

3. gradually let the clutch out until it just starts to pull/engage. keep it feathered.

4. now it's squealing. Rev the engine a little - squeal pitch gets higher

I've had the Grom for about 3 weeks. I recently did the initial (600 mile) oil change with the recommended oil. It's made this noise ever since I got it.

Is this typical? Any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Perhaps that's something the Honda dealer (under warranty) should investigate.
That's probably a good idea. I don't usually trust dealers to work on my bikes, but at least I can demonstrate the problem in person. If they listen to it and can say "oh, that's definitely a problem with (fill in the blank)" that would be good, but I don't want them just rummaging around in the bike's innards for weeks on end looking for what to fix. In that case I'd just hope that if anything catastrophic goes wrong it will before the warranty runs out...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Perhaps that's something the Honda dealer (under warranty) should investigate.
OK, I took it to a (different) dealer. Let him and another mechanic listen to it, let them ride it around a bit. They didn't think the sound was anything unusual, and I'm sure they heard it, so I'm going with that. Thanks for the advice...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts