Honda Grom banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a chimera intake and a zoom “brute” exhaust, and noticed that when I started my bike the exhaust manifold got really hot and a little smoke came off it. I haven’t reset my ECU yet. Not sure if I’m running to lean, or if it is another problem.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Most likely, yes. The Grom comes from the factory running pretty lean. By adding an intake and exhaust, you have probably leaned it out even more. At this point, simply resetting the ECU is not typically enough to compensate, especially since the Grom spends much of it’s life in that 80%-100% throttle range. Most everyone recommends to have the ECU reflashed when adding an intake and exhaust.

The smoke you saw could have been something on the outside of the pipe burning off.

Reactions: Joshua Sampson

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys for the replies, should I just get my ecu reflashed or should I buy a fuel injector/power commander?

·
Registered
2020 Honda Monkey and others
672 Posts
Thank you guys for the replies, should I just get my ecu reflashed or should I buy a fuel injector/power commander?
Easiest thing would be an ECU from Cameron Jones, having him set it up for your mods.

If you plan to mod more later get the ARacer ECU and a Wideband AF1 unit and appropriate wiring connection.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Easiest thing would be an ECU from Cameron Jones, having him set it up for your mods.

If you plan to mod more later get the ARacer ECU and a Wideband AF1 unit and appropriate wiring connection.
Thank you I was actually looking at getting my ecu reflashed from dh motoring

·
Registered
644 Posts
The advice Chillis gave you is good. Get a reflash that is setup for your mods. The more specific, the better. I’m not sure what DHM offers, but Cameron Jones has done thousands of dyno runs with various parts. He can usually get you fixed up with something.

An aRacer ECU and AF1 would be the way to go if you are going to do more mods in the future, like a big bore kit, throttle body, ported head, etc. The cost of an aRacer ECU and AF1 is a bitter pill to swallow for a lot of people, though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just installed a chimera intake and a zoom “brute” exhaust, and noticed that when I started my bike the exhaust manifold got really hot and a little smoke came off it. I haven’t reset my ECU yet. Not sure if I’m running to lean, or if it is another problem.
Install a PCV and use a free base map (two Bros with Pod) until you are able to have a custom tune ($400) typical cost for Dyno

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,339 Posts
A lot of people, me included, would recommend an ecu flash or aracer vs a pcv.

Reactions: Chillis
1 - 10 of 10 Posts