Honda Grom banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 2018 Grom with only 300 miles on it. I noticed the engine has some hesitation right when I crack open the throttle. It sputters for a second, then eventually gets where it needs to be.

I'm comparing this to a 2019 with 300 miles on it, that has no issues.

It feels like the throttle response isn't "fast" enough. It makes riding a little tricky because of its inconsistency.
If I quickly flick the throttle all the way open, as fast as I can, it's noticeably slower than the 2019.

Both have the same exhaust system, no other performance mods.

Could I need to adjust my AFR or Idle screws? (Do these have AFR screws?)

·
Registered
6 Posts
If your gas is from 2018- right there is your problem.
The garbage gas nowadays starts to go bad in only a couple months.
Drain it and dump it on obama's front lawn. :) (kidding) well maybe not.....

·
Registered
786 Posts
I’m fortunate to have ethanol free fuel available where I live. It is all I use.

Reactions: jake'snewride

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If your gas is from 2018- right there is your problem.
The garbage gas nowadays starts to go bad in only a couple months.
Drain it and dump it on obama's front lawn. :) (kidding) well maybe not.....
I suppose that's possible. That's what I was thinking yesterday. I gave it a half gallon, might need to drain the tank instead of running it all through.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just outa curiosity, a 2018 with 300 miles if it was stored in a shed or even a garage could there be a mouse nest in the air filter area- from my own past other bike experiences mice build nests rather quickly(over night) just something else to check if you haven't yet.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Just outa curiosity, a 2018 with 300 miles if it was stored in a shed or even a garage could there be a mouse nest in the air filter area- from my own past other bike experiences mice build nests rather quickly(over night) just something else to check if you haven't yet.
That really does happen. Pretty frequently too. My buddy’s old Honda Civic was parked outside of his Uncle’s house in Utah back in the 1990s. A mouse built a nest in the air ducts for the heat and air conditioning. It was hauling pieces of dog food into there. Like a bunch of dog food.

What a nasty mess. He had to take it all apart and clean it out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just got a 2018 Grom with only 300 miles on it. I noticed the engine has some hesitation right when I crack open the throttle. It sputters for a second, then eventually gets where it needs to be.

I'm comparing this to a 2019 with 300 miles on it, that has no issues.

It feels like the throttle response isn't "fast" enough. It makes riding a little tricky because of its inconsistency.
If I quickly flick the throttle all the way open, as fast as I can, it's noticeably slower than the 2019.

Both have the same exhaust system, no other performance mods.

Could I need to adjust my AFR or Idle screws? (Do these have AFR screws?)
The first thing I'd do is reset the ECU and see if that helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Put a fresh tank of 93 in it, reset the ECU. Still does weird things.
Also, I've given it a few quick blips and it's stalled. Doesn't happen very often, but there's a low RPM hesitation that the newer grom doesn't have.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts