Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like this bike, next Tuesday I'm going to ride it for a test. I want to test the CB500F 2019 also, I may buy both.:crazy:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Ugh, I really want a 6spd 300+cc Grom...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's certainly not a Grom. It's around 100 lbs heavier, has 17" wheels, and is dimensionally a lot larger.
Exactly, that's what a Grom 300cc would look like, more weight, bigger tires, 6 speeds, more power, faster 0-60 (about 6 seconds), more stability, more agility, a bigger bike, for like 2k more and behaves more like a Grom. This is what the reviewers are saying, I just want to confirm all this when I test it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ugh, I really want a 6spd 300+cc Grom...
Me too. I have great hopes for this new CB300R 2019, it looks beautiful, but the CB500F 2019 is excellent too like for $2K more or so. Once I test ride both I'll make a decision as to what I'll get or maybe I like both and get both:crazy:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Me too. I have great hopes for this new CB300R 2019, it looks beautiful, but the CB500F 2019 is excellent too like for $2K more or so. Once I test ride both I'll make a decision as to what I'll get or maybe I like both and get both:crazy:
I came from a 919/CB900F and the Grom is the perfect size for me... I just wish it had more power and gears. Earlier, I googled "CB300R 12" wheels" lol

·
Banned
714 Posts
Putting 12 inch wheels on a cb wouldn't work overly well

You give up a lot of ground clearance, and the bike is still way bigger than a Grom. It wouldn't look right at all

·
Registered
178 Posts
Thanks, Wibbly Poindexter.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Let me know what you think of them. :)
The dealer who sold me the Grom has the CB300R 2019 only and this is the one that I'm going to test drive tomorrow; the CB500F 2019 will be available for me to test drive like in 2 or 3 months. I wish I could test drive the two of them at the same day to have a good feel of each one to make a better and easy decision as to what would be better for me. The good thing is that in both bikes the seat can be lowered to like 30" just like the Grom's seat height. Both have like an adjusting nut than can be easily lowered o risen.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I came from a 919/CB900F and the Grom is the perfect size for me... I just wish it had more power and gears. Earlier, I googled "CB300R 12" wheels" lol

One of the few that has experienced the jack of all trades known as the 919/CB900F.... i have had one for 10 years now, love the bike ill never get rid of that big beast.

·
Registered
793 Posts
If I was in the market for a small bike around 300cc I'd seriously be checking out the 390 Duke. It's sexy and supposed to be hella fun.

The CB300R and CB650R are also cool. I actually checked out a CB1000R before I got my Grom. They are beautiful and have pretty much everything I'd want in a naked liter bike, but the tank on the tank sucks! Apparently it's because of some European environmental BS, but the tanks scratch when you breathe on them. The two at my local dealer are still new, but they look used with all of the surface scratches on the tank.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just want to share with you guys that I rode the CB300R (non ABS model) today and I was super impressed by its performance. This motorcycle is amazing! Great acceleration 0-60 about 6 seconds, almost instantaneous 35 mph speed on the streets, great stopping power, the clutch is so gentle, soft, close to engaging in gear, super easy to changing gears, I did not have any problems with the weight or seat height (30.7") of the bike and it is very easy to maneuvering it and it is very agile. This test drive was super fun.

I felt that the CB300R was more than enough for my needs but still the dealer will get me the CB500F 2019 ABS model so I can make a better decision of buying that one that I really want/like/need. If I felt the CB300R is very powerful I cannot imagine how the CB500F will be!

The CB500F 2019 ABS model has much better engine a parallel- twin, 0-60 is 5.0 seconds, more stability, better speeds in the fwy, more agility, more power, it has a new dash board, a gear indicator found only in more expensive bikes, many other features that the CB300R does not have.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I just want to share with you guys that I rode the CB300R (non ABS model) today and I was super impressed by its performance. This motorcycle is amazing! Great acceleration 0-60 about 6 seconds, almost instantaneous 35 mph speed on the streets, great stopping power, the clutch is so gentle, soft, close to engaging in gear, super easy to changing gears, I did not have any problems with the weight or seat height (30.7") of the bike and it is very easy to maneuvering it and it is very agile. This test drive was super fun.

I felt that the CB300R was more than enough for my needs but still the dealer will get me the CB500F 2019 ABS model so I can make a better decision of buying that one that I really want/like/need. If I felt the CB300R is very powerful I cannot imagine how the CB500F will be!

The CB500F 2019 ABS model has much better engine a parallel- twin, 0-60 is 5.0 seconds, more stability, better speeds in the fwy, more agility, more power, it has a new dash board, a gear indicator found only in more expensive bikes, many other features that the CB300R does not have.
Cool! I'm sure you'll love either bike no matter what you decide.

My other bike is 1200cc so the Grom has about 10% of the displacement of my other bike. LOL It's a huge power difference, but also huge weight and handling difference!

Lots of bikes of all price ranges have gear indicator these days. Honda is just lagging behind with this.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cool! I'm sure you'll love either bike no matter what you decide.

My other bike is 1200cc so the Grom has about 10% of the displacement of my other bike. LOL It's a huge power difference, but also huge weight and handling difference!
Thanks for sharing your experience with your 1200cc vs. the Grom. I'm learning on my own that every bike has its own merits. The Grom is an excellent bike for very heavy street traffic. I ride it every day to go work and I notice that guys with bigger bikes cannot fit where I fit with my Grom and they are left behind. Here is not about power, agility, expensive, luxury or features, it is about being small, the smaller the better.

Lots of bikes of all price ranges have gear indicator these days. Honda is just lagging behind with this.
I did not know this, this is a very important feature for me. I want to see in what speed I'm driving. The CB300R does not have the gear indicator but I like it a lot, I can always put an after market gear indicator myself not big deal. This is one of many other reasons why I'm considering the CB500F 2019 ABS model.

Also, I noticed that many reviewers mentioned that after 70 mph in the fwy, the wind hits very strong riding a naked bike. I wonder if the CB300R is already enough for me since I could be blown away at 70mph waiting 140 lbs and being so small at 5'5". This Spanish guy says that the wind hits very strong in your chest and arms and you need to grab yourself from the bike very strong or you could be flown away. :big smile:

·
Registered
793 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience with your 1200cc vs. the Grom. I'm learning on my own that every bike has its own merits. The Grom is an excellent bike for very heavy street traffic. I ride it every day to go work and I notice that guys with bigger bikes cannot fit where I fit with my Grom and they are left behind. Here is not about power, agility, expensive, luxury or features, it is about being small, the smaller the better.
Yep, every bike has its merits for sure. Logic, to some, would say I didn't need a Grom since I already had a big bike. I wanted a Grom for commutes to work. My commute is 8 minutes each way. It's so much easier to pull my Grom out of the garage instead of dragging my 500 pound Buell out of the garage. The Grom also warms up faster and is more well behaved when it's not completely warmed up. Plus, it's so fun to try to ride fast on a slow bike like the Grom.

I did not know this, this is a very important feature for me. I want to see in what speed I'm driving. The CB300R does not have the gear indicator but I like it a lot, I can always put an after market gear indicator myself not big deal. This is one of many other reasons why I'm considering the CB500F 2019 ABS model.
Yep, it's becoming more common every day. Even some of Honda's bigger bikes don't have a gear indicator which is kinda inexcusable IMO. I've never had a bike with a gear indicator nor have I ever added one, but I would like to have one. I thought about putting one on my Grom just because of the stupid shift lever. Most every manual bike and ATV I've ridden have a shift lever that stops when you are all the way down in first. The Grom lever just keeps clicking away which is really annoying to me.

Also, I noticed that many reviewers mentioned that after 70 mph in the fwy, the wind hits very strong riding a naked bike. I wonder if the CB300R is already enough for me since I could be blown away at 70mph waiting 140 lbs and being so small at 5'5". This Spanish guy says that the wind hits very strong in your chest and arms and you need to grab yourself from the bike very strong or you could be flown away. :big smile:
I got you by a whopping inch and about 15 pounds. I'm only 5'6" and 155. Naked bikes aren't as pleasurable on long, highway rides because the wind is constantly blasting you in the face and chest. It gets tiring without you even realizing it. With a faired bike you are more protected by the wind, but usually at the expense of a less comfortable seating position if it's a sportier bike.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I got you by a whopping inch and about 15 pounds. I'm only 5'6" and 155. Naked bikes aren't as pleasurable on long, highway rides because the wind is constantly blasting you in the face and chest. It gets tiring without you even realizing it. With a faired bike you are more protected by the wind, but usually at the expense of a less comfortable seating position if it's a sportier bike.
And I've got you buy the same measurement, 1" and 15lbs, lol. I'm not a fan of naked bikes either, for long rides I pull the street glide out, big front fairing, and a rider backrest. Once I'm on the highway I just set cruise control, lean back and throw my legs up, it really is like cruising down the highway in a nice recliner, lol.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yep, every bike has its merits for sure. Logic, to some, would say I didn't need a Grom since I already had a big bike. I wanted a Grom for commutes to work. My commute is 8 minutes each way. It's so much easier to pull my Grom out of the garage instead of dragging my 500 pound Buell out of the garage. The Grom also warms up faster and is more well behaved when it's not completely warmed up. Plus, it's so fun to try to ride fast on a slow bike like the Grom.
Yes, you are right. Moving in & out of the garage a big and heavy bike every day is another job by itself. The Grom excels on this.

Yep, it's becoming more common every day. Even some of Honda's bigger bikes don't have a gear indicator which is kinda inexcusable IMO. I've never had a bike with a gear indicator nor have I ever added one, but I would like to have one. I thought about putting one on my Grom just because of the stupid shift lever. Most every manual bike and ATV I've ridden have a shift lever that stops when you are all the way down in first. The Grom lever just keeps clicking away which is really annoying to me.
Maybe the Honda engineers don't like gear indicators, this is bad. Yes, it bothers me too that sometimes I stop quickly and I cannot tell what speed the Grom is engaged nor I can put it on neutral, I have to release the clutch a little bit just to re engage in first gear or to put it to neutral. Sometimes I have started on 2nd gear and have to quickly hit the lever down to engage firs gear. I don't like this.

I don't think that I'll do extensive fwy ridding but occasionally I'd like to ride on an empty fwy on a sunny Sunday morning at 6:00am to feel the wind at 90 ~ 100mph but resume at 70 ~ 80 mph.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And I've got you buy the same measurement, 1" and 15lbs, lol. I'm not a fan of naked bikes either, for long rides I pull the street glide out, big front fairing, and a rider backrest. Once I'm on the highway I just set cruise control, lean back and throw my legs up, it really is like cruising down the highway in a nice recliner, lol.
One day, I may get the Gold Wing Tour to go to New York and back to Los Angeles:big smile:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts