Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Back in England, “Grom” is slang for an unruly kid. The 2014 Honda Grom, known in other markets as the MSX125, is essentially a 21st century take on the monkey bike. For just $2,999, you get a fun little bike that returns, wait for it…130mpg.

“The fuel-injected 125cc engine delivers lots of torque,” describes Honda. “The 4-speed manual transmission works just like any other full-sized bike, the maneuverability and handling make it a joy to ride, and there’s even room for a passenger.”
Equipped with the same fuel-injected, 125cc, four-stroke engine and four-speed gearbox as Honda’s insanely popular Wave scooter, the Grom adds strong styling, a new frame and surprisingly nice components like upside-down forks and a projector beam headlight.

That 125cc single-cylinder makes 9bhp, good for a top speed of nearly 65mph.
Leaving the Wave behind, the MSX125 uses an all-new, steel backbone frame. The engine is exposed as in a naked bike, but there’s heavy emphasis on the stylized plastic bodywork, which lends the bike a purposeful, bold stance. The long single seat does make room for a passenger and there are passenger pegs.

The Grom goes on-sale in the US in August.

Don’t let the perceived size in this first press photo of the Grom fool you. Those wheels are 12 inches in diameter, this thing is tiny!

Source: rideapart.com

·
Registered
108 Posts

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
I was a Honda fan for years but then they let me down with bland products (IMO). But now they have several bikes I would love the own, the new 500s and 700s are cool as well as the CB1100. Of course the Grom is first. Also, I am digging the Cross Cub they have in other countries.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I was a Honda fan all my life as well, but in 1999 when Kawasaki came out with the ZRX1100, i had to have one because it was unique. Then I also had a 2002 Kawasaki ZZR1200 (biggest bike I ever owned). From there I went back to a '98 Honda VTR1000 Superhawk. A couple Ruckus in there, a couple NT650 Hawk's, and now I am on a '94 VFR750.
But I agree, the Grom is something exciting, new and different ... A cult bike in the making for sure.
Now I just need to convince my girlfriend I need one ASAP ;-)

·
Registered
677 Posts
lol. i told my wife back in january, "if this bike comes to the US, im getting it alright?" she said ok (most likely because ive said this before and we never get the cool stuff lol) so the tuesday i found out about it, i called the dealership, got the word, then called my wife and the convo went like this.... "hey sweetie, remember that bike i was telling you about and i said if it came here i was gonna buy it? yea, well, its coming in august so im gonna drop a deposit on friday".. pause.... she said OK, is that it? that why you called me?" lol.... love my wife

·
Registered
67 Posts
called my dealership today, they said quote "Honda hasn't given a official release date for the Grom, they normally announce this 60 to 90 days before it is scheduled to ship to showrooms." I then asked if they were taking pre-orders, they said they will not take pre-orders till the official release date has been given. They went on to say "if anyone gives you a date or month that they will be in dealerships it is pure speculation at this point." For the people that have preordered theirs what has the dealership said to you about delivery?

·
Registered
942 Posts
called my dealership today, they said quote "Honda hasn't given a official release date for the Grom, they normally announce this 60 to 90 days before it is scheduled to ship to showrooms." I then asked if they were taking pre-orders, they said they will not take pre-orders till the official release date has been given. They went on to say "if anyone gives you a date or month that they will be in dealerships it is pure speculation at this point." For the people that have preordered theirs what has the dealership said to you about delivery?
from my understanding with my dealership, our money down is simply a reservation in line. as they come in you will get first dibs in the order of reservation. no actual pre-ordering, just a receipt of a down payment that is fully refundable. if you 5th in line and only 4 come in you need to wait for the next shipment and you will be #1 in line for that shipment. i haven't checked in a week with my dealer ship. but i kinna don't want to call ever other day.

·
Registered
67 Posts
i see, i will stop by my dealer tomorrow see if i can talk directly to a sales person and organize something. It might make more "legal", and financial sense if i explain that concept to them. Thanks for your response!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts